Thoughts on Donnie Yen's recent movies

blue_skies

I really don't know what it is about Donnie Yen films at the moment but the trailers really don't do anything for me. I really enjoyed Ip Man as a film I just feel so many of his recent movies haven't left me satisfied from an action point-of-view.

Don't get me wrong his recent movies have had some very high production values. They are also better movies on the whole than a lot of his earlier productions. Still even movies like SPL & Flash Point feel more like dramas rather than action films, due to the amount of action. I do like good drama, Ip Man for example had an excellent story and the drama worked superbly. Yet for me I felt I SPL and Flash Point really could have used an extra couple of fight sequences...

I will watch Bodyguards and Assassins, 14 Blades and his new Fist of Fury film at some point but I really haven't been overly impressed with Donnie Yen's output between(and not including) Hero and Ip Man. So with the exception of Ip Man 2 I'm just wondering why I'm not really looking forward to most of his films these days. And really wondered if it's just me?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Improvisation

Though I love what Donnie Yen's doing these days, I can see where you're coming from. The biggest thing is that Donnie's a HUGE star over in China right now, so people want to see him, and they want to see him often. These slick and high production values are giving him less control over the entire process, meaning directors and producers want to make movies that will appeal to EVERYONE, not just kung-fu fans.

Like Bodyguards and Assassins. The way it was promoted, you would have thought it was some kickass balls to the wall fight flick with Donnie Yen and Cung Le going at it the entire time. But it was totally mis-represented, and while it ended up being a heady and good drama, it was nothing that his fans were used to.

I think it was more fun to watch Donnie Yen when he was completely under the radar and nobody knew who the hell he was, i.e. movies like the Iron Monkey series. Now that he's the 'it' action guy, his stuff is becoming a little more fan-friendly.

And his fight work is still killer. Have you seen Ip Man 2? Absolutely insane!

SPL - Great.

Dragon Tiger Gate - His parts were cool. Everything else... not so much.

Flash Point - Great when the action finally starts.

An Empress and the Warriors - Didn't watch.

Painted Skin - OK. Didn't really need Donnie. I mean, the "A Chinese Ghost Story" series had fighting too, but it wasn't really at the forefront of those movies.

Ip Man - Good overall. Maybe a little overrated, but definitely better than the sequel.

All's Well End's Well 2009 - Didn't watch.

The Founding of a Republic - Didn't watch.

Bodyguards and Assassins - Didn't watch.

14 Blades - Boring.

Ip Man 2 - Mostly awful.

"Bodyguards and Assassins" is probably the only unwatched film I will actually end up seeing sooner or later. Based on this list though, he's only had 3 movies in the last half of this decade that I like. So yeah, I guess I'm in the same boat. If the only way to watch Donnie's movies was at the box office, I'd definitely skip a lot of them. Still, I check out most of his work even if the previews don't interest me-simply because they're readily available and because I know he's a talented guy.

I just feel so many of his recent movies haven't left me satisfied from an action point-of-view.

Still even movies like SPL & Flash Point feel more like dramas rather than action films, due to the amount of action. I do like good drama, Ip Man for example had an excellent story and the drama worked superbly. Yet for me I felt I SPL and Flash Point really could have used an extra couple of fight sequences...

Those already give all your answers, really. You have too much expectations.

These slick and high production values are giving him less control over the entire process, meaning directors and producers want to make movies that will appeal to EVERYONE, not just kung-fu fans.

The most control he can gets is when he's the action director and producer so it's only natural that he gets less control over movies he just acts in. But that also has to do with the fact that he rather lets other people direct him than he directs himself because he can't keep up with acting, action directing or whatever simultaneously in every single movie he makes. He's aging, don't forget that.

Overall, I'd say it all depends on what you want to see in Donnie's movies and how much of a fan you are to the dude. There are those who just want more action and those who want the complete package.

the new movies are ok but i'm fed up with costume flicks

i really hope he will come back with some "street fighting" movies like spl or flashpoint..

The Dragon

His acting is finally catching up to his Martial prowess... It'll probably never match it, but it's fun watching the growth.

SPL, Flashpoint, and now Ip Man, are his Fist of Legend, OUATIC, and Hero.

To me, anyway.

:angel:

Still even movies like SPL & Flash Point feel more like dramas rather than action films, due to the amount of action. I do like good drama, Ip Man for example had an excellent story and the drama worked superbly. Yet for me I felt I SPL and Flash Point really could have used an extra couple of fight sequences...

Im with you. I get a lot of shit for it but both those movies were boring and generic as hell save for the fight scenes. I watch Yens films for martial arts, I like martial arts movies as opposed to movies that contain martial arts(SPL/FP). I watch these movies for hand to hand/weapon, fantasy martial arts fights(wire fu) and stunts. I dont really care about story. I like Dragon Tiger Gate wayyyy better than SPL/FP because of that. IP man is a perfect balance of story and MA's for me.

Back on topic. Im really glad Donnie is making a ton of movies now, and since he is making so many some arent going to appeal to all. I do look forward to anything he makes but not all of it is that great.

Guest ekisha

I thought nowadays Donnie is the only one who makes interesting action movies.

I'd rather watch SPL and Flashpoint than Bodyguards & Assassins, 14 Blades. Ip Man is also good but i prefer more realistic fights and urban stuff.

Archived