DDDHouse has Shaw sale

xianzai

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

Most of the titles are not martial arts ones, but at these [current] incredible prices, some of these may be worth the investment to try out! (Unless it's a typo, these movies may also have the distinction of being non-anamorphic, so double-check on whatever interests you before buying.) Thanks for the tip, xianzai!:yociexpress01:

Thanks for posting this. There are a few nice titles. I liked Enchanting Shadow (nice ghost story), Beyond the Great Wall, King with my face, Silent Swordsman, That Fiery Girl (Cheng Pei pei). Anyone with recommendations?

Pearl Phoenix and That man in Chang An: how are these?

Thanks for posting this. There are a few nice titles. I liked Enchanting Shadow (nice ghost story), Beyond the Great Wall, King with my face, Silent Swordsman, That Fiery Girl (Cheng Pei pei). Anyone with recommendations?

Pearl Phoenix and That man in Chang An: how are these?

I think I've only seen Enchanting Shadow and That Fiery Girl, both of which I really liked. Enchanting Shadow is a very formal, traditional ghost story--a bit slow-paced, but wonderfully filmed and with nice music, costumes, sets, etc. That Fiery Girl is an above-average 60's wuxia with Cheng Pei Pei.

Fang Shih-Yu, I believe it was only the first few batches of 2003 that were non-anamorphic---I think most of the movies on this list are anamorphic (although Enchanting Shadow was actually not a widescreen movie, and is presented full-frame).

I haven't seen it, but A Cause to Kill is a Hitchcockian murder-mystery, as I recall reading. I believe Interpol is one of Shaw's Bond-type 60's spy movies. I think I may pick those two up.

Fang Shih-yu
I believe it was only the first few batches of 2003 that were non-anamorphic---I think most of the movies on this list are anamorphic (although Enchanting Shadow was actually not a widescreen movie, and is presented full-frame).

Thank you for that input, KyFi! I've gotten just enough IVL DVDs that I now realize (based on the year of reissue for The House of 72 Tenants and Na Cha the Great, compared to the rest I have) 2003 was [seemingly] the year of non-anamorphic Shaws!:tongue: I'm still "green" on these enough to see the need to cross-reference on certain titles if the info on them is limited (in my opinion)!... Now that I've read more cheap IVLs are available at DDDHouse, I'm off to see what's good (and anamorphic)!:bigsmile:

Thank you for that input, KyFi! I've gotten just enough IVL DVDs that I now realize (based on the year of reissue for The House of 72 Tenants and Na Cha the Great, compared to the rest I have) 2003 was [seemingly] the year of non-anamorphic Shaws!:tongue: I'm still "green" on these enough to see the need to cross-reference on certain titles if the info on them is limited (in my opinion)!... Now that I've read more cheap IVLs are available at DDDHouse, I'm off to see what's good (and anamorphic)!:bigsmile:

Now don't quote me for certain on this, and maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all titles were anamorphic starting with Batch 10, 5/15/03 :

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/shaw_brothers_2003.html

(also, a few titles before that, like The Lizard and Magnificent Trio, are anamorphic as I recall---haven't watched them in a while. I think they were in the process of switching over at that time. Shaolin Temple is the last one on that last that I'm sure is non-anamorphic)

good to know about Shaolin Temple . I love the cover / packaging of the IVL one and have thought about buying it before .. guess I'll wait for DD if it's not anamorphic.

Jackie Fhan

DVD-Butterfly Chalice The (Shaw Brothers) (1963)

45.00 45.00

IVL100208

DVD-Enchanting Shadow (Shaw Brothers) (1960)

45.00 45.00

IVL106828

DVD-Fastest Sword The (Shaw Brothers) (1968)

45.00 45.00

IVL101861

DVD-Imposter The (Shaw Brothers) (1975)

45.00 45.00

IVL101342

DVD-King With My Face The (Shaw Brothers) (1967)

45.00 45.00

IVL612411

DVD-Merry Wife The (Shaw Brothers) (1971)

45.00 45.00

IVL100093

DVD-Rat Catcher The (Shaw Brothers) (1974)

45.00 45.00

IVL104770

DVD-Rear Entrance (Shaw Brothers) (1959)

45.00 45.00

IVL101304

DVD-Scandalous Warlord The (Shaw Brothers) (1979)

45.00 45.00

IVL104329

DVD-Silent Swordsman The (Shaw Brothers) (1967)

45.00 45.00

IVL104312

DVD-Summons To Death (Shaw Brothers) (1967)

45.00 45.00

IVL104183

DVD-Sweet Is Revenge (Shaw Brothers) (1967)

45.00 45.00

IVL102806

DVD-That Fiery Girl (Shaw Brothers) (1968)

45.00 45.00

IVL611650

DVD-Voyage Of Emperor Chien Lung (Shaw Brothers) (1978)

45.00 45.00

IVL102172

DVD-Young Rebel The (Shaw Brothers) (1973)

45.00 45.00

IVL104008

DVD-Fugitive The (Shaw Brothers) (1972)

Thinking of getting these.

Archived