On the road, looking for the "Heroes Two" Blu-ray!

Fang Shih-yu

Fang Shih-yu
Thanks! Could you add a paragraph or two for the next review?
I know, I know!:tongue: I'm primitive in general word processing. I'm working to improve, so thanks for the feedback!

A bit disappointing they didn't fix the ratio (or interlacing?) for the extras (not likely to be from Celestial, BTW) - it's odd they're not anamorphically-flagged either. Plus, I felt the subtitles were a bit sub-standard on the DVD if they're the same here.
A new font of a smaller size is on the BD, still "TS Yellow"! Yes, some "extras" elements are from Celestial, and the rest is the unremastered stuff, footage wise.

So, there's at least three versions featuring 'Three Styles'?:

1) Film (seamlessly branched - is there a Celestial ident between them that could ruin the flow a bit?) in English and Mandarin/subs.

2) Unremastered original in English and Mandarin/subs.

3) Celestial version in English and Mandarin/subs.

Number one is in original Mandarin. On the BD, number two has been eliminated, the English soundtrack synched up to the Mandarin version. You are right about number three, and it's non-anamorphic.

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted the unremastered original version to be seamlessly branched (non-anamorphic VHS upscaled to 1080p). Plus, the film's credits are altered too, so...
It couldn't be no stretch for Celestial to locate the font used on the U.S. title version and place it anew on the remastered title footage, yet they didn't even consider it, obviously. The dream for me would be to have a playback option of the original trailer, original TSoHF, original Chinese opening (no Celestial logo) and the remastered film! Maybe that'll happen when they reissue this again in the new video format that's far off in the future, and I don't mean for 3-D TV!:bigsmile:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

OK, Brother Fang's figured out how to make paragraphs!

Simple stuff, really, but I'm pleased to figure it out, just the same!

Thanks again, chen lung!

Be sure to click on the link again for a more readable version of the review!

Number one is in original Mandarin.

The BD should have English and Mandarin for the seamlessly branched 'Three Styles' and main feature. Is there a Celestial ident inbetween both features?

On the BD, number two has been eliminated, the English soundtrack synched up to the Mandarin version.

I thought number two would have been carried over as an SD extra because of the original font (the "first version" in your review).

You are right about number three, and it's non-anamorphic.

That's odd.

It's the only extra pertaining to the film I thought would be HD as well. Possibly the Celestial trailer too.

The only thing I expected to be non-anamorphic is the interview with Chen Kwan Tai.

It couldn't be no stretch for Celestial to locate the font used on the U.S. title version and place it anew on the remastered title footage, yet they didn't even consider it, obviously.

They may have done for the first restored version (of two) they made (featured on IVL/Aussie DVDs). Are you saying in the review that the Chinese credits in the extras are from this?

The second restored version (featured here) not only has a new font type, it introduces the Chang Chen typo.

You're right about the lack of Chang's Film Co ident, but hadn't noticed (I had IVL's DVD before). The first restoration played the SB ident, Chang's Film Co. ident, then the film. Neither the original trailer or the English opening sequence featured the Chang's Film Co. ident.

I notice Fu Sheng's title card plays normally in the second restoration and the English title sequence, but in the first restoration, it's paused (he doesn't blink). (Was the latter's credits video-generated?) Not sure if it was intended to be like this and Celestial just found the raw footage. Unless someone has seen the original theatrical version and can confirm?

As you said about the cinematography, Shaw cameras seemed to have bad lenses or something. There's either the italic effect (namely when Fang meets Mr Li at his residence), or where everything off-centre is distorted (more noticeable when there's a horizontal pan).

BTW, it's more likely to be an export/English opening, rather than just being used by the US:tongue:.

Be sure to click on the link again for a more readable version of the review!

Nice:wink:.

Is it possible to do captures (each menu and feature on the disc) to illustrate what's happening?

Are film-based features interlaced?

Can you list every feature on the extras (are any HD)? On the DVD, there was:

Mandarin Trailer (anamorphic - I requested the leader was removed at the end).

English Trailer (anamorphic - I requested the window-boxing was removed).

English Opening (anamorphic - I requested the ratio to be corrected to 2:35:1).

Three Styles Of Hung Fist (non-anamorphic 2:35:1 jumping to 1:33:1 sometimes).

I also requested that the analogue garbage was cropped off too (is it?).

BTW, something weird keeps happening when playing it on my Cyberhome 505 (I don't think there's a good relationship between it and the TV when updating the ratio either!): It sometimes goes to the end jump of the feature by itself. Has this happened to anyone else? It occurred even during playback, but one way to increase the chances of eliciting the problem is keep something on pause for a few minutes (as the disc partially stops), then play it.

Fang Shih-yu
The BD should have English and Mandarin for the seamlessly branched 'Three Styles' and main feature. Is there a Celestial ident inbetween both features?
Unfortunately, yes!:sad:

I thought number two would have been carried over as an SD extra because of the original font (the "first version" in your review).
On the other hand, it appears Celestial has the textless footage for TSoHF, so why didn't they put the English soundtrack on that, including title cards and using subs as each Hung Fist technique is shown?

Like you said, it's "odd" that didn't happen, also not presenting the Mandarin trailer in anamorphic form.

Even more odd? Some of the promo shots in the stills gallery are from the follow-up film Men From the Monastery! Technically speaking, they don't belong here!:nerd:

All I know is the non-anamorphic Hong Kong/Chang's Film Co HT opening is the absolute first version, easily noticable by Fu Sheng's frozen pause and the wobbly titles as they pop up on the screen. Again, Celestial had the original footage and used it as it was; in timing with the music, both are in sync, whether Fu Sheng was paused or not.

I will even say the look of the remastered old opening is not as bright in the color, but it looks a touch sharper than the newly worked on footage!

I sure have noticed the picture distortions on more than a few movies after getting HT on DVD. The problem seems to be a factor in mid-'70s releases, and the problem was eventually corrected.

You're right about the "U.S." version being the English export! That's a better characterization!

I can't do screen captures. Has DVD Beaver reviewed this BD yet, including captures?

I will rewatch the BD and find out what is HD and what's not.

Thanks for liking the review!

You're welcome.

Yeah, Deadly Duo is Region locked. I was expecting this one to be, but I put it in my player and it loaded without me having to switch the region (I've got one of those players that can switch between regions).

OpiumKungFuCracker

Is this thing out of print or something??? I can't even buy it on Amazon, it's out of stocked!!! I might have to go to Fry's Electronics to see if they have this one in stocked...

Archived