Olivier Gruner

BATTLE AXE 45

BATTLE AXE 45

I only post this because people talk about JCVD and Steven Seagal as actors AND martial artist,but these guys let themselves go physically and in the arts.So I checked on this guy after seeing a number of his movies and found out even though he turns 50 this year he still trains AND makes movies.I'd like to hear others opinions good or bad about the guy.

Guest Markgway

Savate wasn't bad, Angel Town terrible, Nemesis pretty poor. I've seen some others, I think, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my noggin. Gruner isn't much of an actor, his performance in Angel Town makes Van Damme circa Kickboxer look like Laurence Olivier.

kingofkungfu2002

I think he's a likeable enough actor, with genuine skills (check out the training sequence in Angel Town). And yeah, although the quality of his movies does vary, I remember enjoying the films already mentioned as well as Automatic, Mercenary etc.

dionbrother

Liked him as a performer and screen presence. Not much of an actor, but that never stopped anybody in this genre. ANGEL TOWN is a hoot, if unintentionally funny in quite a few spots. Probably too old for a genuine comeback, but he has stayed fit, unlike some others.

Olivier Gruners debut in Angel Town was for the time really strong!

His follow up Nemesis is now considered a cult classic and was a huge success in Europe!

Nice to see that Olivier has kept active in the industry and hope that he will get another chance to shine in something more mainstream.. Expendables 2?

Guest Markgway

I rewatched Angel Town last year and it's a terrible movie. No doubting Gruner's martial arts skill, but seriously, that should've ended his career...

Cognoscente

He looks a little bit like Jeffrey Donovan. Perhaps Burn Notice would have been a better TV series with a martial artist as the star.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I've never seen an Olivier Gruner film...

Angel Town is actually good for a film debut vehicle. And Mark Dacascos even has a small role in the film.  Peter Kwong and the late Stuart Quan even get to help Gruner in the final action set piece. I like it.

Savate aka The Fighter is good too and it was directed by Isaac Florentine plus we get Marc Singer as a badass villain. 

• Like 3