Two Dragon Dynasty Shaws pushed back

OldPangYau

Well, while Return of the One Armed Swordsman is still on track for this coming Tuesday, the 29th, it looks like Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms aka Crippled Avengers (this is the actual title on the box) and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter have been shoved back a month each. Crippled Avangers to September 14th and 8DPF to October 12th.

Until then, here's a look at the Crippled Avengers art:

return-dvd_132x187.jpg

Yep, even the font looks the same, albeit in "gold". If it has the "aka" on there, the film title should still be Crippled Avengers.... I would hope...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blood Sword

I wish they would not do this.Postponing has made me cancel 3 updates from IVL`s because lost interest delays made:sad:

Well, while Return of the One Armed Swordsman is still on track for this coming Tuesday, the 29th, it looks like Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms aka Crippled Avengers (this is the actual title on the box) and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter have been shoved back a month each. Crippled Avangers to September 14th and 8DPF to October 12th.

Until then, here's a look at the Crippled Avengers art:

return-dvd_132x187.jpg

Yep, even the font looks the same, albeit in "gold". If it has the "aka" on there, the film title should still be Crippled Avengers.... I would hope...

hmm... what is that outfit kuo chui is wearing?! i dont remember a part with that outfit and a sword? hmm cant recall. so when is the new date?

That will give us PLENTY of time to bombard their email and facebook accounts with complaints about the crappy cover and BS name change on Crippled Avengers. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I guess its not politicaly correct. How about Handicapable Retaliators

Wow it looks like they changed the colors of Kuo Choi's outfit and felt the need to give him a freaking sword????:ooh:

Oh well at least we are getting the movie and I'm sure the name change is to cash in on the 5 Deadly Venoms....I can see why it's very popular and can't fault them for trying to sell more copies....but come on!!!

Thanks for posting the cover art OldPangYau!!

I quickly went to the DD website and they have officially put this and 8 Diagram Pole fighter in the coming soon section. So usually once they are posted there......that's the official release date. Wow 4 Shaw Bros movies in 2010 from DD.....that's like 3 more than last year!! HAR HAR.

If Bey didn't do AC's for these two, im not gonna bother double dipping!

Well, Bey Logan is supposedly going to do more ACs for DD, and it makes me wonder if that could be the reason for the delays. Now, that's wishful thinking on my part... but until I see otherwise, I won't hold my breath.

dionbrother

You can blame me for the RETURN OF THE FIVE VENOMS title. I'm the one who suggested it to a Crash Cinema associate over 10 years ago. Funny that the title stuck. I heard Crash sold over 70,000 videotapes of the title back then.

Guest Markgway

The US theatrical title was Mortal Combat, but I guess that's too close to the video game inspired series. What's wrong with Crippled Avengers? I don't imagine anyone buying this to be overly concerned with political correctness. It's not that Return... sounds bad, it's just that it's completely made up. DD started well with original titles for King Boxer and Heroes of the East, but have clearly decided to dumb down.

dionbrother

The reason Crash used it was to alert consumers to it being a venoms movie. There was a number of new fans sparked by the hip hop references, and they wouldn't know CRIPPLED AVENGERS from CRIPPLED HEROES and there was no way in hell MORTAL COMBAT could be used. Back then, video store solicitations were done by printed listings and flyers, not the internet. And store owners were not knowledgeable about the genre, just buzzwords like "Shaolin" and "Venoms." Basically, Crash beat Xenon to the punch. Xenon then titled everything VENOMS this and WUTANG that. It was a different market in those days. Crash almost got the RZA to endorse their line, but Xenon beat them out with their shitty line of VHS dupes.

DD is using the title because the film is better known by the RETURN moniker.

You can blame me for the RETURN OF THE FIVE VENOMS title. I'm the one who suggested it to a Crash Cinema associate over 10 years ago. Funny that the title stuck. I heard Crash sold over 70,000 videotapes of the title back then.

Wow, that's kind of cool. Did you get a cut of the sales?

dionbrother

Nope. Got $75 for writing the box copy and a comped tape and disc. My associate didn't get his fair share of the profits either and he supplied the 35mm print! Needless to say, I don't exactly volunteer to help video companies with their releases these days unless I 100% trust the people involved. It is a shady business.

Guest Markgway
DD is using the title because the film is better known by the RETURN moniker.

I wonder what they would do if this came out in the UK where it's better known as Crippled Avengers?

I wonder what they would do if this came out in the UK where it's better known as Crippled Avengers?

Ye Merry Ole Crippled Avengers

Bronx Rican

I speculated in the other thread that neither the "Crippled Avengers" nor the "Mortal Combat" titles might fly all that well in the States right now. I was only worried whether the actual title screen would be tampered with. That tiny "aka" on the cover ensures that won't be the case. We can rest easy. Unfortunately, this wreaks havoc on my alphabetized DVD shelf: it's supposed to sit after "Come Drink with Me", not after "Project A". I'll have to keep the disc in the ol' Deltamac case.

Fang Shih-yu

Yes, unless something happens otherwise, when you start playing the DD Return of the Five Venoms DVD, the main title's gonna read Crippled Avengers, as it is on the IVL disc. Based on that, packaging won't stop people from buying this!:bigsmile: (It didn't stop people from getting DD's The Five Deadly Venoms, and we know what that movie was listed as on-screen!) The retitling of some of these reissues is as nutty:tongue: as it is [sometimes] unnecessary!:cry:

I heard DD was planning to call it "Legend of the Black Scorpion"...

But then they suddenly realized that they had already renamed a movie by using that very title:tongue:.

Fang Shih-yu
I heard DD was planning to call it "Legend of the Black Scorpion"...

But then they suddenly realized that they had already renamed a movie by using that very title:tongue:.

:2:IDIOTS!... For all that movie had, the retitling of The Banquet to Legend of the Black Scorpion cheapened it, somehow. Really, unless somebody knew of the talent who made the film, how many would get this DVD on a whim if had either title (and the DVD cover art stayed the same)?:ooh: The Banquet is the better of the two titles, but there must be yet another alternative that could improve on that!:tongue: (I thought the movie was okay, and anyone who likes Yuen Woo-ping's fight choreography should give it a view.)

FYI on the DD version of Return of the One Armed Swordsman:

Got a review copy of this a couple of weeks back, and there are zero extras, not even a trailer. The actual movie itself is fine - looks like they just used the Celestial materials.

FYI on the DD version of Return of the One Armed Swordsman:

Got a review copy of this a couple of weeks back, and there are zero extras, not even a trailer. The actual movie itself is fine - looks like they just used the Celestial materials.

That was to be expected... same situation as Return to the 36th Chamber. As long as it has a 24fps progressive scan transfer like the rest of the SB DVDs, I'll be fine :tongue:

That was to be expected... same situation as Return to the 36th Chamber. As long as it has a 24fps progressive scan transfer like the rest of the SB DVDs, I'll be fine :tongue:

I'm so glad there are fans who know about this stuff on the boards to make sure we are having the best picture possible!!

Here's hoping the rest of the Shaw Bros will have some extras....maybe a Bey Logan commentary??? :tongue:

I'm so glad there are fans who know about this stuff on the boards to make sure we are having the best picture possible!!

Is there THAT small a market out there that precludes them from releasing these on blu-ray as well? While the 36th Chamber BD was not as crisp as I had hoped, it is still better than the DVD copy. They continue releasing (rather, re-releasing) good titles, but nothing on blu-ray, but a handful of films...ones that I wouldn't have prioritized. Granted, they haven't done anything special to the blu-rays (e.g. all the visible wire-work is still present on the new Tai-Chi Master release), but it's nice to have systematic upgrades. [shrugs]

Guest Markgway
While the 36th Chamber BD was not as crisp as I had hoped, it is still better than the DVD copy.

That's the problem... it wasn't.

Archived