The EXPENDABLES

Karlos

OpiumKungFuCracker

Dion what did you think of Undisputed 3? I felt watching the expendables was like eating a steak and burger and watching Undisputed 3 was like cooking a dead animal over a fire roasting flame at a bonfire...

Noelle Shadow Kick

Hey dionbrother, want to know why Twilight has feminized male leads? Because it was made for pre-teen girls, that’s why. Yes, Twilight is horrible, but you’re also not the target audience. And as for the Bourne movies, I think Matt Damon does just fine and I’m not sure why you’d even put it in the same category. One is a young adult romance story, and the other is a secret agent action story. And Scott Pilgrim is supposed to be an over the top comedy/action/romance story meant solely for ridiculous fun. It’s not advertising itself as the next badass movie. Unless you hear about Michael Cera being cast as John McClane in Die Hard 5, you have nothing to complain about. It’s like complaining that romantic comedies exist aren’t more like action movies. Different genres for different people.

That being said, I also loved the Expendables and I agree that it was disappointing that the Li-Lundgren fight sucked, but that the other action was satisfying. The movie is extremely entertaining, an awesome throwback to 80s action films, and it’s awesome to see that many actors that I like. People just need to take the movie for what it’s worth.

My quick review:

7 out of 10

Great action cast, a lot of fun, but had potential for more.

However, I look forward to "The Return of The Expendables". If the weekend numbers are anything to go by, pre-production will be underway immediately.

it was an awful movie, im really disapointed,i was expecting far more after rambo 4, they need a real writer...a real choregrapher....

I agree with you 100%. However, I didn’t think any particular choreographed action scene was bad. But yeah, after Rambo 4, I hear ya...

People just need to take the movie for what it’s worth.

That's too easy. If that was the case, AVATAR and KARATE KID (2010) would be good movies. (don't get me wrong, I've been guilty of saying that line for a lot of movies myself, so I understand, yet, realize how awful that sounds when I have to hear it from someone else...)

Please check out my review (in the reviews section) if you guys get a chance. =D

Dion what did you think of Undisputed 3? I felt watching the expendables was like eating a steak and burger and watching Undisputed 3 was like cooking a dead animal over a fire roasting flame at a bonfire...

Loved UNDISPUTED 3 and in a more just world, it would play on a grindhouse double bill with EXPENDABLES and an audience could see it as the superior film succeeding within its limited goals. Very unfortunate that it got stuck in the direct-to-video ghetto. Scott Adkins should be playing Jason Bourne, not that Cambridge wimp who resembles a lesbian gym teacher.

Hey dionbrother, want to know why Twilight has feminized male leads? Because it was made for pre-teen girls, that’s why. Yes, Twilight is horrible, but you’re also not the target audience. And as for the Bourne movies, I think Matt Damon does just fine and I’m not sure why you’d even put it in the same category. One is a young adult romance story, and the other is a secret agent action story. And Scott Pilgrim is supposed to be an over the top comedy/action/romance story meant solely for ridiculous fun. It’s not advertising itself as the next badass movie. Unless you hear about Michael Cera being cast as John McClane in Die Hard 5, you have nothing to complain about. It’s like complaining that romantic comedies exist aren’t more like action movies. Different genres for different people.

Those TWILIGHT Movies are making crazy money, which means guys are seeing them as well. I suspect the scawny teenagers I see in public clad in their My Chemical Romance shirts, nose rings and Bright Eyes hoodies are the culprits. I compare the Bourne movies to THE EXPENDABLES because they are made for the action crowd. In between sessions of blowing Howard Zinn, Damon wanted to be an action hero, despite being a complete twink. A hero in an action movie should look like he can win a bar fight. That's why Charles Bronson, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood were the only movie stars my WWII vet of a grandfather would bother to see in theaters. If you can get real life tough guys to buy into your fictional action movie, you've got credibility.

And the Bourne movies have action scenes far worse than anything in EXPENDABLES. Greengrass shakes his camera even in the dialogue scenes.

Christ, now I'm sounding like the Walt Kowalski of the board. I might be too old for this site.

I thought all the BOURNE movies were lame, with the exception of the first one.

Back to The Expendables:

There’s never a moment in The Expendables where I felt the characters lives were at stake. They’re too badass, extremely calculated, and none of them die (we NEEDED a death, especially if this was a 'throwback' to 80's action films). Was Sly afraid he might hurt someone’s feeling if he killed them off or something? Even the Rambo films had a sense of danger, suspense and unexpected deaths.

Is it me or was Statham given the best shots/choreography in the movie?

If you look at all the great actions movies of the 80's (Die Hard, Rambo, Lethal Weapon, and even Delta Force), they had a nice rhythm, a build up to look forward to, and a villain you couldn’t wait to see get fucked up. The Expendables felt like action was being popped in our faces, leaving no room for the rest of the movie to breathe. Mind you, it doesn't help that the screenplay, dialogue and character development was generic. As for the music? LAME. I want to hear some Jerry Goldsmith-synth type shit; not whatever they used (that’s how bad it was).

And uh, I have to mention, what the heck was Dolph doing hanging out at the end? That was just straight up silly. That's something you'd see at the end of a GI JOE cartoon. Yeah, let's just forgive the guy for trying to kill us. Was that for real or was I dreaming?

I know, just a movie, but still!

My review is now up. =D

OpiumKungFuCracker

And uh, I have to mention, what the heck was Dolph doing hanging out at the end? That was just straight up silly. That's something you'd see at the end of a GI JOE cartoon. Yeah, let's just forgive the guy for trying to kill us. Was that for real or was I dreaming?

I know, just a movie, but still!

Yeah, pretty bizarre sequence.. He acted like it was a reunion at Bayside high or something when just a few minutes ago he was trying to gun down his whole crew...

mpm74: I was kinda surprised at that scene myself, but I guess since he was so doped up on drugs and after being shot he realized he fucked up he was given a 2nd. chance to redeem himself. I was kinda surprised nobody in the group got killed either, I think it would've made it more realistic in certain ways. but still an awesome movie even with its minor flaws.

OK now I wish everyone would stop comparing this movie to Undisputed 3 and the Borne movies and even Twilight. there all totally different and fill a purpose to the general audience they are made for. I did like the Borne trilogy movies and thought Undisputed 3 rock, and I would hope Scott Adkins is in the next EXPENDABLES movie he is for real! But everyone here is really ripping this movie to pieces and it was a total Badass movie. What were you all expecting? True some Actors had more screen time and better action fight scenes but on a whole it Rocked!

Im just expecting a good old school action movie.

That's what I was hoping for too, but IMO, this ain't it. The actors were about the only thing old-school in this one. As far as the action scenes and filmmaking, this was 100% post-MTV, modern hipster hyper-editing and shaky cameras.

I had to put in The Magnificent Seven last night just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. :wink:

Note that Sly also dropped his ego and had Austin's character kick his ass, with Couture getting the revenge brawl. If this were made in 1985, that would have not been the case. But the fight would have been better filmed.

It was unfortunate that Sly chose the confuse-o-vision style, but I think most of these Hollywood types do not understand that we hate this shit. They just see goddamn GLADIATOR (which started it) and the Bourne movies making tons of cash and stupidly think "See, that's what these peasants love!". Sly does listen to fan feedback, so there is hope in a sequel.

Or just hire Isaac Florentine to direct the sequel.

I didn't like Steve Austin's part that much and Sly should have done more with Randy, besides that i liked the movie. :tongue: Oh and poor Gary.

bamboo spear

I loved it. I didn't know Gary Daniels was in it, so that was a pleasant surprise, and his "final" scene was fantastic. Everyone went crazy for Arnie's cameo, the plane/flare gun flyover, Terry Crew's cleanup in the tunnel, and Stone Cold putting Sly against the wall at 100mph. I actually liked that Dolph lived.

Please let there be a sequel with Bill Duke, Al Leong, Bobby Lashley, Sho Kosugi, Ray Park, Batista and Sonny Chiba!

Yeah, I keep on hearing this 80's throwback stuff, but the only that that was a throwback to the 80's was the fact that Arnie, Bruce, Dolph, Sly and Eric Roberts was in it.... the rest is just so-so...

Imagine if Statham wasn't in it. He had the BEST scenes!

OpiumKungFuCracker

If only Sly didn't direct this movie and was given to John McTiernan or somethin maybe the outcome would be different...

If only Sly didn't direct this movie and was given to John McTiernan or somethin maybe the outcome would be different...

If the year was between 1988-1995, I would AGREE with you. But, I don't know, after DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE, McTiernan seems to have lost it. But yeah, McTiernan at his prime gives me a hard on. DIE HARD changed the course of action movies. Period. It did for Hollywood what Jackie Chan's Police Story did for Hong Kong film.

I LOOOVE Sly Stallone's directed films. The last Rocky and Rambo was awesome. I feel like The Expendables was rushed or something.

People missing from Expendables, and since "low budget" Gary Daniels was in the film, I decided to add more low budget fellas:

- Carl Weathers

- Chuck Norris

- Micheal Dudikoff

- Sho Kosugi

- Clint Eastwood

- Jeff Speakman

- Philip Rhee

- Loren Avedon

- Don "The Dragon" Wilson

Get all the NFL and UFC guys out of there! =D

Cool interview.

I have nothing but respect for sly. Even if I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought, i'll see an Expendable sequel, as long as he changes up the cast!

Drunken Monk

I watched this yesterday and loved it. I agree that the use of close up shots and shaky cam were a bit annoying but that wasn't enough to make this film anything less than a rip roaring slice of action pie.

I have a feeling too many people expected too much from the film. We didn’t get character development, a sense of realism or anything close to dramatic film making in, say, “Commando” so why should “The Expendables” aim for anything different? It’s a simply, adrenaline fuelled action film. Face it, Dolph Lundgren seems to have completely forgotten how to act but did it make the film any worse? Certainly not!

I accepted “The Expendables” for what it is and I wasn’t at all disappointed. There were rounds of applause and yells of glee from the audience I was a part of. Great, great stuff.

As a side note, considering Stallone is a fan of Jackie Chan, did anyone else feel that Gary Daniels getting kicked into the blocks of heroin and having them topple down was a little homage to “Dragons Forever?” That was my first thought when seeing that scene but perhaps it’s my overactive imagination.

Steve Austin broke Sly's neck in the tackle scene. Sly had to have 3 metal screws put in his neck, Sly refuses to use stunt doubles.

I'm pretty sure he had a double at the last part of that twisting scissor grapple he did on Austin, though.