The EXPENDABLES

Karlos

froffeecoffee

Same complaints. But I still loved it! Loud, Over-the-Top, and Big Explosions! That's how action movies should be made.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, were those action scenes in the finale too dark? I ask this in case it was a technical issue with the projector or was it the actual movie?

Most definitely, with all these action stars and Corey Yuen working on this film why did we have to have such fast edits and close-ups?

Also, too bad Stallone couldn't get Seagal and Van Damme to join, Read that he offered them parts, but they had issues that had to do with screen time and money.

Nonetheless I still liked it.

Watched this last night and it was GREAT! It doesn't challenge your brain cells, but I was shocked that just about everyone got their 15 minutes of glory. I'm sure some will find a way to rip it apart, but the action was brutal and I enjoyed it. You will not be bored.

I'm not sure whats considered spoilers, so I'll leave my detailed comments after others give some feedback.

I don't remember the last time sitting in a crowded theater that had people (myself included) clapping and cheering. Great moments throughout with action and dialog. I'm no expert movie critic, but it was lots of fun.

Watching it again.

OpiumKungFuCracker

This movie was complete SH!T.... The last 30 mins of this movie ruined it for me, why you ask well the way it was shot with the quick edits, close up angles took me the F away.. I couldn't see what was going on!!! Seriously this movie makes Undisputed 3 look like the Godfather... If you want a really bad ass American produced action movie go see Undisputed 3, the Expendables started out ok but it just took the biggest dump I'd ever seen onscreen within that last act of the film!!! Believe me Action movie is my life that's all I watch, Hong Kong action movies is still the undisputed champ of all action movies!!!

Guest Markgway
Are you getting the preview showings this Friday and Saturday in Scotland, Markgway?

I haven't really checked as I didn't know there were any.

Will go next weekend.

Noelle Shadow Kick

I loved this movie. It was so much fun. Like everyone else, I'm pissed that the Jet Li vs Dolph Lundgren was majorly disappointing, and I seriously wonder what happened to make it that way since they got Corey Yuen. That being said, I really hope they get a sequel!

I don't really mind that Van Damme wasn't in this because I'm not a huge fan, but also because his role then went to Lundgren. I was so excited that they got Lundgren for this movie, and he was awesome. I don't think it would have been as good with Van Damme as Gunnar. However, since they already greenlit a sequel if the movie makes money, Van Damme and Seagal would probably agree to the film. I wonder who else they'd get? Hopefully Willis in a bigger role, though the Willis and Schwarzenegger cameos were great I thought.

I suprisingly loved Terry Crews in this movie, and even though it was really just a big gun that he had......it was just awesome. Rourke was pretty much the only one showcasing any acting ability, and it was a very nice touch to the movie. Statham got to do pretty much everything cool in this movie. I typically don't like Statham because he's such an awful actor (the action in Transporter is awesome, but Statham's 'acting' drives me a little crazy), but in this movie it didn't really matter. When Statham and Li were just taking out waves of people at the end it was one of the better action scenes in the movie (sadly better than Li vs Lundgren).

Also, Jackie Chan wasn't approached for this movie, and he certainly wasn't offered Jet Li's role first or anything. Stallone, Statham, and Li were the original three set to star in the movie. Statham and Li have made movies together before, so it's not really suprising that it was Jet. I aso think that Jet was a better fit for the movie than Jackie. Jackie is more of a comedic prop fighter. Jet's American movies are action movies where he's a badass. Not that one is necessarily better than the other, but I think Jet fit the movie better.

"What are you doing?"

"Hangin' a pirate."

OpiumKungFuCracker

This movie was complete utter dog shit!!! Now I love me some over the top action movies with non stop brutality and death but that is because I can see the shot.. This movie especially the last act was so hard to make out because of the close up and quick edits shaky cam shit made it difficult for me to watch, I couldn't keep up!!! There are some nice little touches like Crew's gunning down muthafuckas left and right but the fight scenes just fell flat like a 13 yr old girls chest!!!! If you want a badass American action movie this year or last check out Undisputed 3 by far the best action movie out!!! What a total letdown of a movie with an amazing cast and only to see Sly and Statham jerking each other off!!!!

The Expendables was an OK action film (as action films go in Hollywood). I felt Stallone should have taken more time with the script. The plot was simply too weak. The fight scene between Jet and Dolph was just OK. Although I must say Dolph was the better actor of the bunch. I agree with OpiumKungFuCracker. The last 30 minutes was just too hard on the eyes. The ending was just too corny. This film didn't meet my expectations.:sad:

3 out of 5 stars.

DeathFuMaster

It was good for what is was, an American action film with a simple story that appeals to a broad audience. I do agree with KungFuBob on the quick edits. It really does make it hard to follow whats going on, especially when there are more than one "fights" going on at once. It ends up being a blur of action sequences. But I overall liked the movie, mostly because of the interactions between the actors.

• Administrator
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, were those action scenes in the finale too dark? I ask this in case it was a technical issue with the projector or was it the actual movie?

Yup, a little too dark.

I aso think that Jet was a better fit for the movie than Jackie. Jackie is more of a comedic prop fighter. Jet's American movies are action movies where he's a badass. Not that one is necessarily better than the other, but I think Jet fit the movie better.

Good point. JC wouldn't have really "fit".

This movie was complete utter dog shit!!!

Damn! I think you need more opium on your cracker. :smile: LOL Seriously though, I completely understand where you're coming from.

If you want a badass American action movie this year or last check out Undisputed 3 by far the best action movie out!!!

I don't think the US can take credit for this one. Wasn't it a UK production? Either way, this little movie did blow away THE EXPENDABLES in the martial arts/fighting department. That's for sure. U3 is freaking awesome!

It really does make it hard to follow whats going on, especially when there are more than one "fights" going on at once. It ends up being a blur of action sequences.

I definitely long for the days of the nice, clear, well-composed shots that show movie action. Remember THE FRENCH CONNECTION, FIRST BLOOD, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE? All of these featured fantastic action scenes where you could... gasp... see what was going on!

I agree that the scenes should have been lit better, and it would have been nice to get a clearer view of who was doing what during the climactic fighting. As was mentioned above- no one gets to have "specific moves or styles" because everything is shot too tight and cut into quarter second bits. Still, my tolerance for this style of action filmmaking has grown, and I thought that THE EXPENDABLES was pretty damn good considering it was created using these modern, restrictive cinematic techniques.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I don't think the US can take credit for this one. Wasn't it a UK production? Either way, this little movie did blow away THE EXPENDABLES in the martial arts/fighting department. That's for sure. U3 is freaking awesome!

Oops my fault, at least we agree than Undisputed 3 is awesome!!!

Noelle Shadow Kick

Looks like I'll have to check out Undisputed 3. So which Expendable cast member did everyone like the best? Stallone was likable, Statham got all the cool shit to do, Lundgren was hilarious, Crews was great, I always love Jet Li, Rourke was a scene stealer.....so who was everyone's favorite?

Also, who should be in the sequel if it gets made? I would love to see Kurt Russell.

For the sequel I would like to see the following with the possiblity of some women action stars:

Wesley Snipes

Harrison Ford

Jean Claude Van Damme

Sonny Chiba

Jackie Chan

Chow Yun Fat

Chuck Norris

Cynthia Rothrock

Michellle Yeoh

Remember THE FRENCH CONNECTION, FIRST BLOOD, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE? All of these featured fantastic action scenes where you could... gasp... see what was going on!

Hell, I remember the days of films like INCEPTION and SCOTT PILGRIM, which had fantastic action scenes where you could see what was going on. It seems like only yesterday...

I definitely long for the days of the nice, clear, well-composed shots that show movie action. Remember THE FRENCH CONNECTION, FIRST BLOOD, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE? All of these featured fantastic action scenes where you could... gasp... see what was going on!

I agree that the scenes should have been lit better, and it would have been nice to get a clearer view of who was doing what during the climactic fighting. As was mentioned above- no one gets to have "specific moves or styles" because everything is shot too tight and cut into quarter second bits. Still, my tolerance for this style of action filmmaking has grown, and I thought that THE EXPENDABLES was pretty damn good considering it was created using these modern, restrictive cinematic techniques.

I might disagree that it's a case that this is the modern style of action filmmaking----I've loved a bunch of action movies in the 90s and 00s. Heck, I thought Predators was awesome just a few weeks ago. I think this was just uniquely bad or misguided editing for this movie. I don't recall ever being so taken out of a movie that I was enjoying, and WANTED to love, just by the poorly constructed action scenes. I almost felt like I was watching two movies---one was this fun throwback with a bunch of great old-school action stars, and the other one was this confusing blur of lightning fast action with a bunch of guys I could hardly make out clearly. At least, I HOPE this isn't going to be a popular modern style of action filmmaking! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

edit: ah, I see Rhythm-X already made my point.

I might disagree that it's a case that this is the modern style of action filmmaking----I've loved a bunch of action movies in the 90s and 00s. Heck, I thought Predators was awesome just a few weeks ago. I think this was just uniquely bad or misguided editing for this movie. I don't recall ever being so taken out of a movie that I was enjoying, and WANTED to love, just by the poorly constructed action scenes. I almost felt like I was watching two movies---one was this fun throwback with a bunch of great old-school action stars, and the other one was this confusing blur of lightning fast action with a bunch of guys I could hardly make out clearly. At least, I HOPE this isn't going to be a popular modern style of action filmmaking! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

edit: ah, I see Rhythm-X already made my point.

This Paul Greengrass shaky-cam bullshit makes me long for the days of everyone ripping off Bullet Time. Fiend for it, even. It's like the action movie equivalent of Autotune and like Autotune it needs to end as of several years ago. I'd really hoped EXPENDABLES would move away from that style, since it was supposed to be this glorious 80s throwback to the days of practical gore effects and coherent camerawork. After all, Jack Cardiff (THE RED SHOES, THE AFRICAN QUEEN) shot the quintessential Stallone symphony of violence, RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II. Action doesn't have to look like shit, and I expected more from Stallone. I didn't expect high drama, or deep meaning, or a profound intellectual experience - I wanted to see him make a film to show these fools how the hell you're really supposed to do this action thing.

I expected a ice cold tall can of Budweiser, I got room temperature O'Douls.

Guest HongKongMaster

it was an awful movie, im really disapointed,i was expecting far more after rambo 4, they need a real writer...a real choregrapher.... 5/10

Hell, I remember the days of films like INCEPTION and SCOTT PILGRIM, which had fantastic action scenes where you could see what was going on. It seems like only yesterday..

And I remember the days when pussies weren't cast as action heroes, something THE EXPENDABLES gets right, which outweighs everything it does wrong. SCOTT PILGRIM looks like the perfect movie for the emo nerd video game pussy generation. No way in fucking hell will I see that shit.

Looks like I'll have to check out Undisputed 3. So which Expendable cast member did everyone like the best? Stallone was likable, Statham got all the cool shit to do, Lundgren was hilarious, Crews was great, I always love Jet Li, Rourke was a scene stealer.....so who was everyone's favorite?

Also, who should be in the sequel if it gets made? I would love to see Kurt Russell.

Lundgren was the most believable character in the film IMO, everybody else was just sucking each others you know whats. I say to hell with the sequel, Hollywood is running out of ideas. It seems these days films are more about a hollywood personalities to sell a film than taking the time to write good scripts for the real actors. YO Hollywood! You Suck!

I'll get my action Hong Kong style! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

OK I just got back from seeing this movie today, and I thought it was totally of the hook! I cannot believe all the negative reviews you Guys have given here.

1st. Off for a non M.A. movie I thought the action was awesome.

2nd. I thought Gary Daniels part was weak, I really was hoping for better fight scenes with him in it.

3rd. I would've liked to have seen Dolph have a bigger role but he was still badass!

4th. I think the movie could've done without Bruce and Arnold, even though it was a little comical.

But overall it has to be one of the best Action movies that have been made in years and the casting for the most part was great.

I just hope that in the sequel that they get Donnie Yen involved in it. And add some more M.A. fighters in it as well.

OpiumKungFuCracker
And I remember the days when pussies weren't cast as action heroes, something THE EXPENDABLES gets right, which outweighs everything it does wrong. SCOTT PILGRIM looks like the perfect movie for the emo nerd video game pussy generation. No way in fucking hell will I see that shit.

Scott Pilgrim is fantastic and the better movie imo... I'm not emo but I play a shit load of video games though...

How can solid casting outweigh being able to see what the well-cast tough guys are doing? That's the disappointing thing about EXPENDABLES - to get this bunch of guys together only to stick them in such a needlessly shoddy production.

SCOTT PILGRIM was really very good - almost like SPACED meets MIND GAME in Toronto, though far more linear than MIND GAME. Paul Rapovski and Brad Allen provide inventive action sequences that Edgar Wright and his editors were kind enough not to Cuisinart in the final edit. It's a fun film which I'll definitely be watching again.

How can solid casting outweigh being able to see what the well-cast tough guys are doing? That's the disappointing thing about EXPENDABLES - to get this bunch of guys together only to stick them in such a needlessly shoddy production

Not every action scene in THE EXPENDABLES was lousy. The Li-Lundgren and Couture-Austin fights sucked, but I had little else to complain about. There is a lot more to a flick than action scenes. The movie was about men, which puts it miles above anything starring Michael Cera. The fact that the first Friday morning screening was packed with dudes over the age of 30 is significant. SCOTT PILGRIM might as well have starred Boy George and George Michael. I don't want to see movies about empowered neo-maxi zoom dweebies.. Such films are a waste of time. I'm sick of feminized male leads and limp-wristed douchebags teens cast as heroes. TWILIGHT, BOURNE IDENTITY, and now this crap. I'm wondering if Simon Pegg was the reason Edgar Wright was worth a damn.

And had it been made in 1986, THE EXPENDABLES would have been a typical weekend time killer from Cannon. But because it was released this week, it is now something special. Time and the cyclical nature of movies can make the routine exceptional.