What happened to Chen Wo-Fu?

ching li

Please excuse me if this has been answered, but what happened to the actor who starred in the Shadow Boxer? It seems to be his only lead role and I read is passed away before the movie premiered. Does anyone know? Thanks for any info provided.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from some of the stuff I've read, he committed suicide from a battle with depression.. I think I also heard it had to do with him feeling dishonored or unloyal.

Fang Shih-yu

Hong Kong Movie Data Base has a decent summation on him.:nerd: He was great in The Shadow Boxer, and for all he did in Friends, he played his part well! (He's barely there in The Bloody Escape; if I've read right, it was during the making of this that he killed himself. His role may have been altered from what it originally was, and his footage was still used by director Sun Chung.) There was [potentially] more to him than his martial arts skills, so his suicide is all the more tragic. Keep resting in peace, Chen Wo-Fu....

Guest Markgway

There's one film, might be The Bloody Escape, where he still receives star billing even though he's not really in the movie. His part was recast, but Shaws left the credits. Perhaps as a tribute?

thanks guys. It is a pity what happened to the young man. He had so much potential. I wondered if his death made big news at the time, it was quite tragic

Fang Shih-yu
There's one film, might be The Bloody Escape, where he still receives star billing even though he's not really in the movie. His part was recast, but Shaws left the credits. Perhaps as a tribute?

post-2561-144191888141_thumb.jpgNotable as the early Sun Chung film where he got some help from Chang Cheh (which would account for all those "zoom shots" that are used in the film!), this is truly a "sleeper", by Shaw standards!:bigsmile: With Chen Kuan Tai as the lead, one would like to think that had not Chen Wo-Fu did away with himself, we might've got to see these two martial arts champions fighting side by side! Too bad.... To their credit, Celestial/IVL gives him a billing on the TBE DVD package, along with a brief bio in the "extras", which may be found also on the IVL version of The Shadow Boxer, needless to say!:bigsmile:

Fang Shih-yu

teako170, what a magazine spread! The lower, right-hand photo chills me like no picture has in the longest time. I'm not so sure if I'd want to read the translated text after seeing that. If anything, thanks for keeping it real....

Teako170, as usual thanks for all of your contributions, what would we do without you? Those pics, absolutely heartbreaking, poor guy. I hope there wasn't no foul play involved and the suicide thing is a cover up.

... Those pics, absolutely heartbreaking, poor guy. I hope there wasn't no foul play involved and the suicide thing is a cover up.

Remember Bruce Lee?:squigglemouth:

:nerd:

Guest Markgway

Chang Cheh quite often helped younger directors out. The likes of Sun Chung, Wu Ma, Pao Hsueh-Li, David Chiang, all benefitted from his experience. Sometimes with credit, sometimes without.

So chen wo fu's role in the bloody escape was meant to be a bigger one? It seems shaw bros was pushing him to be the next big star. He definitely had the makings of a star

Archived