Li Yi Min's Best Performance  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Li Yi Min's Best Performance

• Shaolin Iron Claws
    • Butterfly 18
    • Buddah's Palm Dragon Fist
    • Seven Commandments of Kung Fu
    • World of Drunken Master
    • Mystery of Chessboxing (Ninja Checkmate)
    • Seven Grandmasters
    • Crazy Guy with Super Kung Fu
    • Magnificent Wanderers

BlackLamaFaction

I was watching Seven Commandments of Kung Fu last night and I was thinking, Li Yi Min is in quite a few films that I am particularly fond of. So much so that I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. While he can be a little overly goofy at times, I always find his on screen fighting ability to be quite outstanding. He has been in more than a few memorable fights on screen. What would you say was his best performance.? These 9 films I chose because I felt he was more a central character than some of his other roles. But if you think his best role is not mentioned here please feel free to mention it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

He seems to be quite overlooked unfairly! Nice to see this poll on here!:bigsmile: I hope more votes come in shortly....

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

One of my favorites, 80% of his movies are good and many GREAT. I have seen anything I could find with his name on it.

Whats his story Opera or Kung fu skills,,,,, whatever it is,,,,, he is first rate IMO.

G D Y-Y

Fang Shih-yu

I first saw him in Heaven and Hell, followed by The Brave Archer, Life Gamble and 7 Grand Masters. I just got The Brave Archer 2, so I look forward to enjoying more of his work shortly! He was a very warped character in the first one, so I can't guess what he'll do in this one exactly!:tongue: Given his prescence, you'd think he had done more films that what he actually did, considering how he comes off as a cross between Fu Sheng and Jackie Chan! Anyway, he did [pretty much] walk away from films, so that makes him one of the fortunate few who were wise to quit while they were ahead! Thank goodness for what movies of his are out there on DVD!:bigsmile:

I could very well be wrong about this, but I remember reading that Li Yi had some serious gymnastics training. Anyone confirm???

I could very well be wrong about this, but I remember reading that Li Yi had some serious gymnastics training. Anyone confirm???

He was a student at the same Opera School as members of the Venoms, Angela Mao, James Tien and Judy Lee (according to Wikipedia). He might have undergone gymnastics training there.

presicion25
He was a student at the same Opera School as members of the Venoms, Angela Mao, James Tien and Judy Lee (according to Wikipedia). He might have undergone gymnastics training there.

Yes, it was a Taiwanese Opera school of some description. I heard it on an audio commentary a long time ago.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Brave Archer's probably my favorite. I'm not a very big Li Yi Min fan, but Shaolin Iron Claws I remember as a decent film.

BlackLamaFaction

Thanks for all the replies. As far as my favorite film of his I don't know, 7 Grandmasters was such a great film overall.. World of Drunken Master and Shaolin Iron Claws had great casts and great choreography. But as far as Lee Yi Min alone's greatest performance, I have to give it up to the 10 min marathon against Chang Yi at the end of Seven Commandments. The fists, the kicks, the flips, leaps, and rings. Mind blowing stuff.

Morgoth Bauglir

Tough choice. I have to go with Buddha's Palm. Great fights and comedy from Li Yi Min.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Thanks for all the replies. As far as my favorite film of his I don't know, 7 Grandmasters was such a great film overall.. World of Drunken Master and Shaolin Iron Claws had great casts and great choreography. But as far as Lee Yi Min alone's greatest performance, I have to give it up to the 10 min marathon against Chang Yi at the end of Seven Commandments. The fists, the kicks, the flips, leaps, and rings. Mind blowing stuff.

I'll have to break out Seven Commandments again. I don't remember it very well. I did pick it up hoping to see some good Tommy Lee footage, But still then, I can't recall the story or choreography. Even so, I had to pick Shaolin Iron Claws on the poll.

BlackLamaFaction
I'll have to break out Seven Commandments again. I don't remember it very well. I did pick it up hoping to see some good Tommy Lee footage, But still then, I can't recall the story or choreography. Even so, I had to pick Shaolin Iron Claws on the poll.

Great choice on Iron Claws, great fights, great cast, it was cool to see Lee Yi Min as a villain too, even if he doesn't reveal it until the end. 7 Commandments had a pretty good story. I liked the dynamic of the relationship between Li Yi Min and Chang Yi's characters. Master and student, student realizes Master is a brutal killer, worth checking out again if it's been awhile since you've seen it. By the way, do you know if there are any other versions of Shaolin Iron Claws out there? My Video Asia version was a little confusing in certain parts with the way it was edited, I thought maybe some scenes had been left out.

I have to go with Mystery, I thought he was great in Shaolin Temple to but that movie was loaded with some serious talent!

emeraldforest

i went with Mystery of Chessboxing as well, this was a poll on LYM's best performance, not better film:)

Mystery is perhaps one of the best pure kung fu films of all time anyway, just my opinion .

everyone has their favorites :)

TibetanWhiteCrane

Voted for 7 Grandmasters. Lee Yi Min is on point in the fight scenes, shows great acrobatics, is restrained in his comedy, and has an arc from naive student to disillusioned avenger (well, as far as character arcs go in old school fu flicks).

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I watched this Li Yi Min classic last night.

Not listed in your pole, unless it has a different title.

One of the best of his movies IMO.

Who was his sidekick in this one?

I give this one a full ***** stars.

Li Yi Min at his finest.

GD Y-Y

BlackLamaFaction

Cool, thanks for the info, I've never heard of that one. I will have to check it out. When I made the poll it only allowed me to list 10 films so I know I left out quite a few. I probably could have filled two polls if I put in the Shaw films and those films I wasn't familiar with.

I thought he was great in Shaolin Temple to but that movie was loaded with some serious talent!

That would be my choice, too! I saw some of his other movies mostly Shaw Brother Films but I didn't find his acting very convincing quite mediocre. But in Shaolin Temple he played one of my favorite characters, very funny, very cunning..! :smile:

Chess Boxing is one of my favorite movies. Plenty of action throughout the movie, World of the Drunken Master and Drunken Arts & Crippled Fist are also very good too.

Archived