Super Inframan

nectarsis

Just finished watching this a few minutes ago. IMO a little talked about "hidden gem." I went in a bit wary, but had a BLAST watching this. It had it's slow parts, but was much more enjoyable than I first thought it would be. Anyone else a fan?

BTW waiting for an Inframan vs Godzilla (MAYBE for the 2012 new "american Godzilla") :tongue:

• Like 2

froffeecoffee

YES!!! Am a big fan of this Shaw Brothers rip-off of Ultraman. Lots of fun and very entertaining. Too bad there were never any sequels.

• Like 1

I love this movie, to bad there wasn't a sequel I could watch these all day, probably the biggest influence of the power rangers.

• Like 1

never heard of it.

Actually the same company that did costumes for Toei worked on the suits for Inframan, I think maybe some Japanese spfx people too.

• Like 1

The Silver Fox

I really like the opening tune for Super Inframan.It sounds like later era Hendrix with mariachi horns and a dose 70's movie-theme bombast.

• Like 1

kungpowmaster

I need to get a good DVD of this one. I liked it a lot, but all I have right now is the old American VHS of it.

• Like 1

I need to get a good DVD of this one. I liked it a lot, but all I have right now is the old American VHS of it.

Yeah I saw this version in the movie theater a couple years ago, the music is different for it.

• Like 1

Shaolivevil

As a fan of Kamen Rider and Kikaider, SUPER INFRAMAN was a fun film. It used to come on every summer on WNUV Channel 54 Baltimore back in the 80's, just like with MIGHTY PEKING MAN. Sure, it was a bit odd and campy and you could clearly see the many influences taken from the Japanese Henshin and Super Sentai stuff but was a admirable effort. It's a shame the Shaw Bros didn't do more sci-fi films...

• Like 1

GoldenPigsy

Yeah, I'm a fan of this one too. Ho Meng-hua was quite the versatile director, at least when it came to mimicking Japanese genres (he directed Mighty Peking Man, if I'm not mistaken). I actually like Inframan even more than most of the Japanese films in this genre.

• Like 1

make believe

This is a classic movie indeed. I too just have the VHS. I've held off purchasing the dvd s I've read it's not perfect by any means.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
What are the complaints about the dvd?

I'm curious too. I have the IVL, and it seems fine to me, but I'm not a tech guy.

LOVE THIS MOVIE! Ever since I saw this, I decided to do three backflips before preceeding with any kind of action. Thanks for the inspiration SUPER INFRAMAN! This move is a real crowd pleaser. Though... it's not always appropriate. I would warn against using this manuver in telephone booths, cars, aviaries, bathrooms, and near low hanging telephone wires. :wink:

• Like 1

make believe
What are the complaints about the dvd?

I'm only talking about the R1 release from Image. I read the english dub is pretty bad and very low in volume and it's a PAL to NTSC conversion resulting in a not too great transfer. I haven't seen it yet so maybe it is watchable. I know some people tend to be pickier than others with this. On a plus note I hear the subtitles are good and it has the original Mandarin audio.

• Like 1

massa_yoda

Just finished watching Super Inframan.

Umm, wow. What an experience. Some of it was quite good...some of it very silly.

Some observations:

-It was very smart of the underworld monsters to stop by Payless Shoes before their attempt at world domination. Having skin-matching shoes and boots makes walking around in our world so much less of a pain.

-The fortress of fake-titude was a bad place to shoot the climactic battle because the wires were very easily noticeable here. Far more than anywhere else in the movie.

-The scene when Inframan super-sized himself reminded me of Crank 2.

-When you gag someone, actually tie the gag to something to hold it in place! Otherwise, the gagies could just open their mouth and it will fall out! Fortunately, the woman and child in question were too stupid to figure that out.

In spite of these silly moments, I really did enjoy watching this. It's a product of its time obviously, and I thought they did pretty good for a 1975 HK production. The science station/command center with the rotating center station was pretty cool. A few years before Battlestar Galactica had a rotating bridge!

I have a question for you all. I got this from a used DVD store and it did NOT come with an insert that had some information about the film. Does anyone have that insert and can I get a scan of it??? I just wanted to read it because I heard it was quite informative. Thank you.

• Like 1

ThunderScore
I read the english dub is pretty bad and very low in volume and it's a PAL to NTSC conversion resulting in a not too great transfer.... On a plus note I hear the subtitles are good and it has the original Mandarin audio.

IIRC, the English track was taken from a different source (perhaps even a VHS tape) and does indeed not sound that great, but the English dubbing IMHO is spectacular!

77e263842d7612ceeaba58728620808ad7b51631.jpg

• Like 1

Shaolivevil

I have a question for you all. I got this from a used DVD store and it did NOT come with an insert that had some information about the film. Does anyone have that insert and can I get a scan of it??? I just wanted to read it because I heard it was quite informative. Thank you.

When I bought the Super Inframan dvd from Best Buy a few years ago brand new, it didn't have the insert either. Could it be possible that it was left out at the last minute and not issued? Or was it just some kind of mistake? I wanted to read it as well, as it was written by the very knowledgable Damon Foster from Oriental Cinema...

• Like 1

massa_yoda
When I bought the Super Inframan dvd from Best Buy a few years ago brand new, it didn't have the insert either. Could it be possible that it was left out at the last minute and not issued? Or was it just some kind of mistake? I wanted to read it as well, as it was written by the very knowledgeable Damon Foster from Oriental Cinema...

Well every review I've seen for it mentions the insert. Maybe its initial release included them, but then they were pulled soon after.

• Like 1

massa_yoda

I mean, why would the back of the DVD cover still have "Liner notes by.." printed on it if they didn't at least start including them? Though it's weird they never removed that if they stopped it so quickly...

• Like 1

When I bought the Super Inframan dvd from Best Buy a few years ago brand new, it didn't have the insert either. Could it be possible that it was left out at the last minute and not issued? Or was it just some kind of mistake? I wanted to read it as well, as it was written by the very knowledgable Damon Foster from Oriental Cinema...

The Image DVD was a day 1 purchase for me and it did contain an insert.

Here is a picture from the Image DVD I posted in another forum a while back:

post-233-144191900295_thumb.jpg

I can upload some scans if someone wants to see just how bad the Image disc is.

We need to have an ultimate Super Inframan release that would combine the blu ray quality with some of the extras and stuff from the Image dvd release. (Though, the Japanese blu ray has a nice booklet too.)

• Like 1

massa_yoda

I can upload some scans if someone wants to see just how bad the Image disc is.

I just want a scan of the insert if possible. I've seen scans of other inserts before, like the ones for Life Gamble and Opium and the Kung Fu Master from BCI, so I was hoping this one was floating around somewhere or if someone could share it here.

I thought the PQ was fine. Good enough anyways, but obviously a good blu ray special edition would rock.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Looks like another gem from Shaw Brothers - though not as dark as the usual gems like Disciples Of Shaolin. :tongue:

(yes, I just did this)

• Like 1

I'll try to check mine and see if there's an insert, I can't really remember.

Thank you for checking :smile:

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

My Image R1 DVD Came with a total of three inserts:

Super Inframan insert essay "East Meets East: The Japanese/Chinese Connection to Inframan" by Damon Foster, August Ragone

Business Reply Mail Return notice (this is just a Special Product Marketing insert)

Image Entertainment Asian Cinema Catalog No. 1 (a few pages)

On a side note: I have a few postcards from Image telling me about the latest Shaw Brothers release (I have four or five that came out when they first started selling these.)

• Like 1