7 Blows of the Dragon "real title"

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

CHHHEEKKY CHHHEKKY SHAAAA

Every time Young Dragon shows up (David Chiang) LOL :angel:

What is the real title to this Shaw Brothers movie?

Thanks,

GD Y-Y

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

Seven Blows of the Dragon is the editing down (by one Roger Corman) of the two Shaw Brothers movies The Water Margin, and its sequel, All Men are Brothers, into a "new" film (and given an English dub, in addition)!:smile: For those who love this movie, a legit, high quality reissue has yet to surface on DVD, but TWM and AMaB are available. (TWM can be found on Image and IVL while AMaB is [currently] only on IVL, but may be harder to find as it's supposed to be "out-of-print". However, Well Go USA is expected to put out AMaB sometime in the future.)

Guest Markgway

AFAIK 'Seven Blows' is just a re-edited version of 'The Water Margin'.

The sequel ('All Men Are Brothers') didn't come out until a couple of years later as 'Seven Soldiers of Kung Fu' (not sure if it was released theatrically - you'd have to ask the older Americans here). ;)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Yes that is the movie I saw a faded version of the real thing. But still fun.

And the poster ha ha ha the chick with claws funny.

Staring David Chiang and they show Ti Lung's character who had hardly any screen presence in this one.

Thanks guys

G D Y-Y

lightning hopkins

From Corman's How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime:

"...Just as the Bruce Lee/kung fu craze started, for example, I acquired a Chinese dynasty period film with martial arts action sequences from the Shaw brothers for very little money. It was called The Water Warriors (sic) or something like that. A Chinese actress friend of mine, Lisa Lu, who had worked with the Shaws in Hong Kong, helped with the English translation and looping. We recut it and tightened it way down to emphasize the action because it was very long and talky. Then we turned it into Seven Blows of the Dragon. It was a nicely profitable little film."

If memory serves me correctly, though he neglects to mention it here, Roger also spliced in a bit of gratuitous nudity too (included among the extras on the Image Water Margin release), which surely didn't hurt the movie's popularity among the chop socky crowd in America. Too bad he didn't take a crack at recutting a bunch of others -- imagine what he could have done with one of the already over-the-top epics like Master of the Flying Guillotine!

Fang Shih-yu
AFAIK 'Seven Blows' is just a re-edited version of 'The Water Margin'.
You are right! I humbly stand corrected!:tongue: I thought I had read that AMaB was incorporated into Seven Blows; too much reading, and not enough sorting through of the info on my part!<ahttp://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/uploads/emoticons/default_default/squigglemouth.png' alt=':squigglemouth:'> @ teako170: Nice poster! who did the artwork?

From Corman's How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime:

"...Just as the Bruce Lee/kung fu craze started, for example, I acquired a Chinese dynasty period film with martial arts action sequences from the Shaw brothers for very little money. It was called The Water Warriors (sic) or something like that. A Chinese actress friend of mine, Lisa Lu, who had worked with the Shaws in Hong Kong, helped with the English translation and looping. We recut it and tightened it way down to emphasize the action because it was very long and talky. Then we turned it into Seven Blows of the Dragon. It was a nicely profitable little film."

If memory serves me correctly, though he neglects to mention it here, Roger also spliced in a bit of gratuitous nudity too (included among the extras on the Image Water Margin release), which surely didn't hurt the movie's popularity among the chop socky crowd in America. Too bad he didn't take a crack at recutting a bunch of others -- imagine what he could have done with one of the already over-the-top epics like Master of the Flying Guillotine!

Great stuff, lightning hopkins! I never knew RC had anything to do with that cut of the film... I always loved the soundtrack of the re-edited version. Sort of puts me in the mind of Enter The Dragon.

:nerd:

Fang Shih-yu

To those who've seen The Water Margin and Seven Blows of the Dragon, how do they compare as to entertainment value? I've seen only The Water Margin...obviously!:tongue:

To those who've seen The Water Margin and Seven Blows of the Dragon, how do they compare as to entertainment value? I've seen only The Water Margin...obviously!:tongue:

I love the soundtrack for 7 Blows of The Dragon. The film's edited down a bit, and has some outlandish dubbing and sound effects! :tongue:

(Dialogue between two extras:) -"Don't you know that Young Dragon is a Martial Arts expert?!" ...

(Drumline:) BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!... CHICKA-CHICKA-CHA!!!!

:bigsmile:

i recently watched both versions and i have to say 7 BLOWS OF THE DRAGON is much the better version. WATER MARGIN is nearly 30 minutes longer and most of that is talk--much more conversations involving political corruption etc--also the music is very different from other shaws of the same year--mostly its lifted from various spaghetti westerns. most shaws can be identified by just hearing the music but this would probably throw most people off. there is some added gore to some of the killings--a few seconds here and there. all in all 7 BLOWS is a tighter fast paced version . i wonder if any american company is going to release the 7 BLOWS version ? just curious about something--once i remember hearing that there actually was an original full length dubbed version with the regular shaw voices--can anyone confirm this ? :xd:

Guest Markgway
WATER MARGIN is nearly 30 minutes longer and most of that is talk--much more conversations involving political corruption etc

Yeah, it's soooo annoying when movies have plotting when they could just cut to the kicking and stabbing. :nerd:

Germans made lots of the Venoms borefests much more enjoyable by cutting over 20 mins of blablablabla out and giving the folks what they REALLY wanted: The Action. And don't tell me their acting and the Plots need endless talking. they don't. And i can't stand WATER MARGIN uncut, too. As well as lots of the Chu Yuan Intrigue Borefests. To each his own. i don't have to and i won't ever watch the long Versions again :)

Guest Markgway

Fair enough, but you're wrong...

Cutting down these movies just turns them into compliations.

The Best of the Venoms Vol.2 etc.

Why not just dispense with stories altogether?

And that's got to be the first time I've heard anyone defend the German butchery performed on these films...(!)

dionbrother

I prefer SEVEN BLOWS OF THE DRAGON to THE WATER MARGIN. The original is overstuffed and stilted. Many of Chang Cheh's early movies have pacing issues and WATER MARGIN is the worst offender.

Archived