The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

sifu iron perm

@GermainLussier: The Raid 2 is one of the best action films ever made. It might even be THE best. Holy fucking shit. #Sundance

@Ethan_Anderton: THE RAID 2 is bigger, badder, bloodier and one of the best action movies I have ever seen. Tops the first one in every way.

@firstshowing: The Raid 2 - Legendary. Unbelievably insanely exhilarating. Action at its best. Ever. From sets to camerawork to music to fights-incredible.

@Aaron_Morgan: THE RAID 2 deserves a place at the table with the GODFATHER movies. I've never seen anything like it. I'm stunned. Absolutely stunned.

@firstshowing: Gareth Evans just pulled off something akin to The Dark Knight of action movies. Unfuckingbelievable. The Raid 2 is insane. #Sundance

@devincf: Gareth Evans is the greatest living action director. THE RAID 2 is spectacular. #sundance14

@jhoffman: I know it is "just a movie" but the violence in THE RAID 2 was just too much for me. I got lightheaded & had to leave.

@ErikDavis: THE RAID 2 is just insane. Some of the best action sequences I've seen. Just plain kicks your ass from start to finish. Wow. #Sundance

@Ethan_Anderton: Never have I ever heard a crowd groan and cringe in pain collectively as frequently as during THE RAID 2. Tons of applause breaks too.

@LeNoirAuteur: The Raid 2: beautifully brutal fight sequences stitched together by a plot I barely cared about

@yogoldsmith: The Raid 2 does the franchise proud with fight sequences that are true spectacle and a complex mafioso narrative to boot. Quite bloody fun!

@TheInSneider: THE RAID 2: An ambitious sequel that broadens the scope of the story considerably. Breathtaking action elicited audible gasps & applause.

@simonsaybrams: THE RAID 2: marital arts's GAME OF THRONES, or ONCE UPON A TIME IN INDONESIA. Macabrely playful & joyfully inventive action: so much fun.

@Ethan_Anderton: Seriously, @ghuwevans needs to teach a class to American action directors to show them how it's done. THE RAID 2 is an action masterpiece.

@roxanne73: We can all go home now. @ghuwevans just won movies. #theraid2 #Sundance2014

@russfischer: To deal with THE RAID 2, the MPAA is gonna need something heavier than NC-17. And probably some adult diapers.

@filmfest_ca: RAID 2 - mayhem, mud, and some of the most intense, grotesque yet balletic action ever filmed. More epic, more complex. Epic. #Sundance

@yogoldsmith: Applause multiple times during Raid 2 as sequences were show stoppers. The fights were often balletic with camera immersed in dead middle!

@jpraup: The Raid 2 made me pregnant.

@devincf: THE RAID 2 is a crime saga that perfectly mixes THE GODFATHER with martial arts. It was better than I hoped. #sundance14

@TheInSneider: W/ THE RAID 2, Gareth Evans cements himself as one of the greatest action directors in the world. Totally deserving of the standing ovation.

@Ethan_Anderton: Standing ovation for @ghuwevans here at #Sundance. And he deserves every clap.

@EricVespe: If The Raid was Assault on Precinct 13 Raid 2 is The Godfather. Sprawling crime epic with amazingly brutal hand to hand violence

@zaffi: Raid 2: Relentlessly brutal violence dialed to the maximum. Unbelievable body count + insane fights = operatic level of mayhem. #Sundance

@GermainLussier: The cast of quite possibly the best action film ever: The Raid 2. #sundance @ Eccles Theatre http://t.co/qSL9DDcYlH

@devincf: It's hard to pick out what is the best action scene. They're all unique, badass and shot with absolute brilliance and beauty.

@jpraup: The Raid 2 just won the Palme d'Or.

@keithcalder: I think the kitchen scene in THE RAID 2 is the best fight scene I've ever seen.

@colliderfrosty: THE RAID 2 is just fucking insane. Some of the best action sequences I've ever seen. And I don't know how it gets an R. Wow. Just wow.

@LeNoirAuteur: The fight sequences in the raid 2 are dazzling, the cinematography, choreography and editing really make them work

@yo_damo: Breathe easy: Raid 2 is outstanding; bloody, expansive, inventive and exciting. #Sundance2014

@modage: The Raid 2 (B+) Not as perfect as the original but still a goddamned great time. Theatre applauded after every big fight. Epic. #Sundance14

@IndieFocus: The frenzied crime thriller THE RAID 2 is THE DEPARTED gone gonzo. Bigger, crazier, bloodier, better than first film. A triumph. #Sundance

@devincf: BTW it seems pretty clear we should expect THE RAID 3.

@mikeryan: THE RAID 2: Quit talking; just keep fighting. #sundance

The frenzied crime thriller THE RAID 2 is THE DEPARTED gone gonzo. Bigger, crazier, bloodier, better than first film. A triumph. #Sundance

Jason Gorber ‏@filmfest_ca 8h

RAID 2 - mayhem, mud, and some of the most intense, grotesque yet balletic action ever filmed. More epic, more complex. Epic. #Sundance

@devincf: Can't even imagine the money every studio will be throwing at Gareth Evans now. This movie is just so much bigger and better than THE RAID.

OpiumKungFuCracker

At this point the fight could be below average as long as the film on a whole is as epic as Godfather in terms of Crime films, Consider me happy!

If it's not handled by the Wiendsterd company, It's save to say that this will get the intended cut it was shown at Sundance, probably not 100% but I'll take 99.7% if that makes any sense because once again it is catered to the American audiences and some will get toned down a little, in my opinion.

Sony Pictures Classics has the rights to it, just like the first film :smile: In fact, I think Sony has full rights to the overall franchise (potential remake, included), so Raid 3 should also be released by them. Of course, they had a few seconds cut from the first film to get an R, but reinstated them for the DVD/blu-ray releases.

Meanwhile, apparently the MPAA hasn't seen the film yet, at least that's what Evans said at the Q&A.

Man, so much hype to live up to. I'm trying to catch this at the movies but I wish I could fast forward to when the bluray comes out. There is a huge void in my martial arts collection as of late.

Man, so much hype to live up to. I'm trying to catch this at the movies but I wish I could fast forward to when the bluray comes out. There is a huge void in my martial arts collection as of late.

If the first film is anything to go by, it'll probably come out around my birthday in August :tongue:

My birthday's in August too. :tongue:

Heh, nice :tongue: Meanwhile, theatrically speaking, The Expendables films have been coming out on the weekend of my birthday, with this year being no exception :xd:

As for the reviews for Raid 2, I've only seen one bad one (5/10), but the guy walked out early because he couldn't handle the violence. Seemed like he wasn't a huge fan of the first one either, so he already began to lose my attention there.

Sorry, but if a reviewer mentions in the first sentence of their review that they walked out on the film (even with 10 minutes left), I simply can't put any stake in that review. I remember one guy tried to claim the game Mortal Kombat 9 wasn't a classic, yet he started his stance off saying "I haven't actually played this game". (???) anyway, this is obviously a film that will appeal most to hardcore fans of the genre, and I don't really think many of us need a critic giving this film a pass to encourage us to see it, although the amount of ultra-positive reviews is certainly further stimulating my anticipation! anyway, someone mentioned the finale is similar to Game of Death? I wonder how that's gonna play out? does Iko fight up several floors before facing Cecep Arif Rahman, or is it because the fight was (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) supposedly done in different "rounds"?? either way this was already my most anticipated film of the year by a mile, so it's great to hear the overwhelming positive response given to it at Sundance. Bring it out WIDE!

To me, the responses from social media are more than enough of an endorsement, and I doubt I'll even be reading too many formal reviews, if any at all.

The succinct tweets of excitement, amazement and general "my brain exploded" feedback in 140 characters or less has already convinced me that I'll need to see this film (at least) twice in theaters to absorb everything and it will be a day one Blu-Ray purchase no doubt.

OpiumKungFuCracker

It's reviews like these that make a film worth the price of admission. Also make sure you clearly read the last sentence of his article when he said he liked an action movie as much as the next guy like The World's End? I love the World's End but you probably don't want to make that kind of connection with this film and also this dude is such a sissy boy, not that there's anything wrong I'm a sissy boy too secretly, lol..

http://screencrush.com/the-raid-2-review/

The Sundance cut of ‘The Raid 2‘ is 148 minutes. I think I saw 138. Ten minutes before the end I turned to a colleague and said “all right, enough of this,” and walked out. It is the first time I’ve ever left a film that I intended to review in my career.

Oddly, I wasn’t hating ‘The Raid 2′. I’ve stuck through far worse films. You might even interpret my reaction as a mark of success for director Gareth Evans and his team of choreographers and makeup artists. The violence in this unrated cut is so relentless, so absolutely brutal, that I just couldn’t take anymore. The snapped bones, shattered skulls and spraying blood walked up to the line of good taste and ripped it apart with the back of a hammer. While athletically and technically impressive, the final fights in ‘The Raid 2′ are so unpleasant that I realized that if I didn’t race out of my seat, I may have vomited in the theater.

The other bit of bad news is that the non-fighting parts of ‘The Raid 2,’ you know, the plot, isn’t really all that interesting. The first ‘Raid’ used the specificity of an isolated apartment block to contain the action that literally and figuratively escalated. This new film is more sprawling, to the point of being incoherent.

Since this review is already loaded with confessions, I’ll let you know that I had an unusually difficult time following the story here, likely because of the striking level of violence in the action set pieces. When you see and hear skin sizzle or brains splatter or carotid arteries open up and squirt in such graphic and demonstrative fashion – over and over and over – these images and sounds tend to roll around in your mind, even when a story is unfolding. I was so thunderstruck by the action that it drowned out the actual movie.

But, from what I did glean, our hero from the first film, Rama (Iko Uwais), agrees to infiltrate a mob family for the police. He takes the long road, by doing a two-year prison term and ingratiating himself to the son of the big boss.

In the prison, there are brutal fights. When he gets out and is an enforcer, there are brutal fights. When the boss’ son wants to instigate turf maneuvers against others, there are brutal fights. When other characters showed up that had some connection to the story that I couldn’t put together, there are brutal fights.

Only one of the fights has anything of a sense of humor. It involves a baddie with an aluminum bat, some baseballs and really good aim. This is cross-cut with an attractive woman in dark shades wielding two hammers. Despite the somewhat poster-ready look of these two, their actions are just as brutal and nasty as everyone else’s. Put bluntly, the movie just isn’t fun.

Evans stages his fights like a sociopathic child playing with action figures. Every possible gruesome way to injure someone is displayed. It certainly looks…complicated…but after a while it just becomes noise. Horrible, disgusting noise.

I enjoy a good action movie as much as the next guy. I love the fights in, say, ‘The World’s End.’ But that movie also had sharp dialogue, relatable characters and a sense of playfulness. For all the technique, ‘The Raid 2′ – at least this unrated cut – can only offer shock.

Read More: 'The Raid 2' Review | http://screencrush.com/the-raid-2-review/?trackback=tsmclip

Follow Us: Facebook

Visit Us At: http://screencrush.com]

Hilarious how a guy who writes for a website named Badass Digest can't sit through an action movie without nearly vomiting.

Insulting how a guy who claims to be a professional film critic thinks it's appropriate to review a movie without watching the whole thing.

This is pretty much why I will avoid most reviews about Berandal. Especially from critics who use a science-fiction comedy to set the bar for what they want to see from fight scenes. Funny thing is, this dude's inability to watch the movie serves as pretty good promotion and provides some great marketing.

Don't get me wrong-- everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this film is definitely not for the faint of heart. But reviewing a film without watching the whole thing makes the entire critique illegitimate.

masterofoneinchpunch

I love The World's End, already seen it twice. But since it is a comedy with some action/fight scenes in it, it makes little sense to put it in a review. There are 1000s of movies that would be better suited to make his point (any action first oriented film.

10 minutes left and several of that being trailers and the person leaves. I'm also weary of any review that does not see all of the film, though with his viewpoint I don't think him finishing off the movie would have helped his review or change his attitude toward the film one bit.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Evans can't get this out on dvd fast enough.:cry: But I'm already saying, "Yes, Please!!!!!" to this.:tongue:

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2014/01/adkins-to-evans-me-in-raid-3.html?m=0#more

Scott Adkins demands to be in the Raid 3? Once again the Martial arts genre is the best genre in movies period. This is why I love this genre, this is why the Martial Arts genre can never die!!!

Hilarious how a guy who writes for a website named Badass Digest can't sit through an action movie without nearly vomiting.

Insulting how a guy who claims to be a professional film critic thinks it's appropriate to review a movie without watching the whole thing.

You sure you got the right site? I read this last night, the guy praises the movie and Evans to high heaven -

http://badassdigest.com/2014/01/22/sundance-review-the-raid-2/

http://sonyclassics.com/

The Raid 2 is finally up on the SPC website, but there is not a release date listed as is the case w/ the other films, it simply says 2014. now if March 28th were locked and ready to go, you would think they would put that? unfortunately, I recently heard some rumors that it might be delayed, I hope this isn't gonna be the case

While Jordan Hoffman's review was for ScreenCrush, he also writes for Badass Digest, which is what the reference was to.

I see, no wonder I've never read one of his articles :tongue:

Will be showing in cinemas in the UK on 11/04/14..April!

I'm still wondering if the March 28th release date in the US is limited and *then* expanding in April like the first film a couple of years ago, or if it'll start wide this time. Still nothing on the official US site other than the trailer.

I'm still wondering if the March 28th release date in the US is limited and *then* expanding in April like the first film a couple of years ago, or if it'll start wide this time. Still nothing on the official US site other than the trailer.

Still no word, but with the movie getting excellent reviews and the last one being a success, I can see Berandal getting a wide release. Or, at the very least, expanding a hell of a lot quicker than the first one did. This is all guesswork on my part, of course, but ya never know.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66232

here is the official poster for release in Indonesia, same designer at part one's poster. not bad, though overall not quite as cool as the original's. still no word on the MPAA rating, or if the MArch 28 release date will stick in the US (I assume it will until I hear otherwise). the movie is currently still absent for Sony Pictures Classics' website