The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Specifically in regards to your last line, 'The Raid 2' is both written and directed by a British director, Gareth Evans, so I don't think the society of a certain culture is really connected to the on-screen violence found in a countries action movies.

Just as with Chang Cheh/John Woo, individuals can deviate from the norm.

One Armed Boxer
Just as with Chang Cheh/John Woo, individuals can deviate from the norm.

Fair point, there's actually an existing thread which discusses this same line of thinking in regards to the level of violence found in movies like 'The Raid' and its sequel, check it out here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21893

Iko would be E KO, and I've heard someone pronounce Uwais as WISE. Whether that's right or not, I don't know.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

Last week at nifff (Neuchatel Internationa Fantasy Film Fest)

The Raid 2:

Was good-very good, but not better than part one.

good was:

many many action scenes and in diffrent ways = weapons (with hands, gun, sword, baselball, hammer), places (dead end street, in snow, in a car...)

violent action scenes

acting was good for that kind of movie

no boring scenes even though 150 minutes running time and no "original" story (fans know the elements from every b action movie)

the quality of the fight scenes raises at the end of the movies

bad was:

many fight scenes look always like the same

the camera work - to fast and in the first movie half to blurred, i don't like this

Looking forward to the uk blu ray and the differences r rated and original version

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Looking forward to the uk blu ray and the differences r rated and original version

There's only 6 second difference between the cut and uncut versions. I was told it was extra blood spurts.

Both my son and I enjoyed the film much better the second time (even though we loved it the first time). Hope you feel the same.

OpiumKungFuCracker

bad was:

many fight scenes look always like the same

the camera work - to fast and in the first movie half to blurred, i don't like this

Now hold on a second. The reason why you liked the first Raid is because the 2nd one had many fights that were all the same? You mean the fighting style of Silat? Or the fighting location because last I checked, several location was used in the Raid 2. I think you probably meant the fights were a bit repetitive. It's funny you should say that because that's how I felt from the first Raid.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

Yeah i mean the fighting style, the movements or the hit points (against the head)

sorry, my englisch is not the best;-)

OpiumKungFuCracker
Yeah i mean the fighting style, the movements or the hit points (against the head)

sorry, my englisch is not the best;-)

No, your English is fine. Can ask what you thought about the Kitchen fight? You can't say that was the same, every hit and kick and move was completely different for like 10 mins?

Now hold on a second. The reason why you liked the first Raid is because the 2nd one had many fights that were all the same? You mean the fighting style of Silat? Or the fighting location because last I checked, several location was used in the Raid 2. I think you probably meant the fights were a bit repetitive. It's funny you should say that because that's how I felt from the first Raid.

Uwais/Evans raised the bar for onscreen violence, which is the reason (along with Evans' film-making expertise) why the films are so highly regarded. The fight choreography however didn't make me jump out of excitement, despite being well-staged and all. It's because I've already seen it all anyway. If I want to enjoy this style of fighting scenes, I can always re-watch any Jackie/Sammo film from the 80s.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom
No, your English is fine. Can ask what you thought about the Kitchen fight? You can't say that was the same, every hit and kick and move was completely different for like 10 mins?

thats true. i mean the fights in the first movie half. in the last 50-60 minutes the action is more varied and much better from the quality - the car fight, our hero against the hammer or baseball bat assassin and of coure the kitchen final fight:-)

Noelle Shadow Kick
For anyone that can't wait until 'The Raid 3'...:tongue:

DCQUtpHl8zs

Haha this was funny! The video has nothing to do with the Raid 2 though, not sure why he would even call it that haha. Still, pretty cool!

Secret Executioner

July 23, can't come fast enough. :bigsmile:

049080.jpg

Too bad my local theater (yeah, cause we're talking f**kin' theatrical release here) won't play that one - I guess I won't go see it as many times as I could have wanted to (or as many times as some of the crazies on here :tongue: ). :sad:

OpiumKungFuCracker
July 23, can't come fast enough. :bigsmile:

049080.jpg

Too bad my local theater (yeah, cause we're talking f**kin' theatrical release here) won't play that one - I guess I won't go see it as many times as I could have wanted to (or as many times as some of the crazies on here :tongue: ). :sad:

Holy shit, I want that on the bluray cover!!!

This is not a review just an observation.

I think this movie has been a victim of it's own hype. I found it to be somewhat overrated. It was damn good. But not quite 'that' good. I much preferred the fisrt movie. The first was set in a building and it was suspensful, claustrofobic, intense and fast paced with not much time to think about plot and characters.

However part 2 with a running time of 2 and a half hours has much more plot and character development - to the movies detriment in my opinion. The story was just standard for a thousand other genre movies, and nothing really caught my interest about it. The acting is so so. But the action is still great. The brutality of many of the fight scenes is quite graphic with open hammer wounds, mutliple knife and glass stabbings, baseball bats deforming skulls etc. Which is quite unique for the genre. And thats great if you're into blood and guts (which I used to love watching but got tired or desensatized over the years). It's still a good film for it's intense action scenes - but everything else falls short in my opinion. To make such a film into 2 and half hours it's much easier to see holes and flaws in the movie. I hope part 3 will be more like part 1.

Still, I will say that it makes me proud to be British (And I very rarely say that, because this shitty empire has little for me to say I'm proud of) because the movies were directed by a British fellow.

I remember Ong Bak mesmerized audiences when that came out - just like the raid has done, but Ong Bak 2 and 3 just never captured the same awesomeness os the first.

OpiumKungFuCracker
This is not a review just an observation.

I think this movie has been a victim of it's own hype. I found it to be somewhat overrated. It was damn good. But not quite 'that' good. I much preferred the fisrt movie. The first was set in a building and it was suspensful, claustrofobic, intense and fast paced with not much time to think about plot and characters.

However part 2 with a running time of 2 and a half hours has much more plot and character development - to the movies detriment in my opinion. The story was just standard for a thousand other genre movies, and nothing really caught my interest about it. The acting is so so. But the action is still great. The brutality of many of the fight scenes is quite graphic with open hammer wounds, mutliple knife and glass stabbings, baseball bats deforming skulls etc. Which is quite unique for the genre. And thats great if you're into blood and guts (which I used to love watching but got tired or desensatized over the years). It's still a good film for it's intense action scenes - but everything else falls short in my opinion. To make such a film into 2 and half hours it's much easier to see holes and flaws in the movie. I hope part 3 will be more like part 1.

Still, I will say that it makes me proud to be British (And I very rarely say that, because this shitty empire has little for me to say I'm proud of) because the movies were directed by a British fellow.

I remember Ong Bak mesmerized audiences when that came out - just like the raid has done, but Ong Bak 2 and 3 just never captured the same awesomeness os the first.

JetsBoo_original_original.gif?1366949767

Finally watched it yesterday. I think the first movie was MUCH better than the Raid 2. There were some good fights, but not enough, and the attempt to include a story, that was a little convoluted and hard to follow hindered it, compared to the break neck pace and back to back fighting in the first film. I actually felt the fighting was generally better in the first film too. I preferred Joe Taslim's supporting character to any of the supporting characters in this film, and the crazy machete guy was better than "Hammer girl and Bat boy".. About the story, I watched it with the atrocious dub, that isnt even humorous...So maybe I should watch it subtitled for a more fair assessment.

Either way, reviews were touting it the best MA film of the decade and such, when I think it isn't better than the first film, multiple Donnie Yen films, or The Protector. (I dont think Ong Bak was technically this decade).

Anyway, I hope I don't sound like a "hater" it wasn't a bad film.. But it wasn't a good one and it will be a long time before I give it another shot. I agree with the moose that it was a victim of its own hype.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Finally watched it yesterday. I think the first movie was MUCH better than the Raid 2. There were some good fights, but not enough, and the attempt to include a story, that was a little convoluted and hard to follow hindered it, compared to the break neck pace and back to back fighting in the first film. I actually felt the fighting was generally better in the first film too. I preferred Joe Taslim's supporting character to any of the supporting characters in this film, and the crazy machete guy was better than "Hammer girl and Bat boy".. About the story, I watched it with the atrocious dub, that isnt even humorous...So maybe I should watch it subtitled for a more fair assessment.

Either way, reviews were touting it the best MA film of the decade and such, when I think it isn't better than the first film, multiple Donnie Yen films, or The Protector. (I dont think Ong Bak was technically this decade).

Anyway, I hope I don't sound like a "hater" it wasn't a bad film.. But it wasn't a good one and it will be a long time before I give it another shot. I agree with the moose that it was a victim of its own hype.

giphy.gif

OpiumKungFuCracker
Boy, I guess I better like this one or I'll be in trouble with OKFC. :tongue:

Or just an excuse to post gifs, yeah!!!!

Not that I feel everyone should have a universally glowing review for this movie I do wonder why these so-so reviews are seemingly coming out of the woodwork and around the same time. I would think martial arts fans would be more forgiving, not that this movie needs forgiving. :nerd:

Not that I feel everyone should have a universally glowing review for this movie I do wonder why these so-so reviews are seemingly coming out of the woodwork and around the same time.

Apart from one the one other gentleman, I have not read any reviews that are not "glowing". Also I think a lot of peoples opinions are shaped by what they read.