The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Evans sais this on Twitter yesterday, re the US BD/DVD:

"Uncertain if an Unrated will come out - it’s a 4s difference in total with the majority of tweaks being just 3-4 frames removed."

(Very odd that the UK is getting stuff uncut and the US isn't as it's been the other way around for years!)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Evans sais this on Twitter yesterday, re the US BD/DVD:

"Uncertain if an Unrated will come out - it’s a 4s difference in total with the majority of tweaks being just 3-4 frames removed."

Thanks for the info brother. :laluot_21: No way the studios will put out the expense to re-release it over that. So... as far as I'm concerned, that's a definitive answer... finally.

(Very odd that the UK is getting stuff uncut and the US isn't as it's been the other way around for years!)

Somehow I feel you must be responsible for this. :khi3h: You Brits are trying to steal our "uncutness" aren't you? :xd:

Somehow I feel you must be responsible for this. :khi3h: You Brits are trying to steal our "uncutness" aren't you? :xd:

We Brits laugh - LAUGH! - at you and your slightly shorter cut!

HA HA HA HA HAAAA!!! :xd:

Noelle Shadow Kick

I'll pick up the US release of this and recommend that you guys do too! If we don't support these releases, then we won't get the movies here. Plain and simple.

That said, I'm also outraged. I will pick up the unrated version as well despite the minor difference, but the fact that the unrated is being released everywhere but here is baffling and frustrating.

For those unsure of getting the US version, bear in mind my previous point that this movie greatly underperformed in theaters and therefore really needs the blu ray sales!

Super frustrating, though.

Well, my review of the Blu-Ray is already up, and on Sunday had my parents watched it. My dad was smiling through all of the action scenes and my mom made the most priceless face when she saw Rama break that prisoner's leg in the muddy riot scene. I wish I had taken a photo of it, but they loved the movie.

Were the subs noticeably different? Read your review, by the way, and it had me excited about this release. But the subs have got me worried.

The Subs were the same as I saw in the theater as I recall, but again I'm not an expert on subtitles.

On twitter Gareth Evans stated what we are getting on Blu Ray and digital release is the same that was put out in the theater.....I'd have to think that goes for the SUBs as well.

I'm glad I'm able to get both the US and the UK versions but it does suck that we have to have these conversations at all...instead we could be talking about the fights in the movie even more!!! :tongue:

Noelle Shadow Kick
I'm glad I'm able to get both the US and the UK versions but it does suck that we have to have these conversations at all...instead we could be talking about the fights in the movie even more!!! :tongue:

Haha, EXACTLY.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Gorhama's info has made me feel better about the subs. My son said that after your call last night I seemed much more energetic and happy. LOL A true geek... that's me. :nerd: And proud of it too. :wink:

Clearly, no matter how little was cut, it should have been released completely uncut on DVD and Blu-ray. But I am still crazy excited for it's release.

Gorhama's info has made me feel better about the subs. My son said that after your call last night I seemed much more energetic and happy. LOL A true geek... that's me. :nerd: And proud of it too. :wink:

Clearly, no matter how little was cut, it should have been released completely uncut on DVD and Blu-ray. But I am still crazy excited for it's release.

I could not agree more buddy!!! I'm glad we have ways of getting the uncut version!! Doesn't hurt that the steel book has amazing artwork...almost to the level of our boy Kung Fu Bob!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

Does anybody know if the Aus BR version is uncut?

According to Evans, it's only the US release that is cut, but I guess other versions could turn up edited.

Have you thought about just importing the UK version - you guys are region B, same as the UK!

downloaded it on itunes the other night, and watched it. looks great and as far as I can tell, yes the subs are the same as they were in the theater. I had only seen it once in the theater, and the film was just as good the 2nd time around, if not better. can't wait for the physical copies!

Just so everyone knows the website "familyvideo.com" has this dvd for only 17.99 bluray and 1.99 shipping. Best deal I've found

downloaded it on itunes the other night, and watched it. looks great and as far as I can tell, yes the subs are the same as they were in the theater. I had only seen it once in the theater, and the film was just as good the 2nd time around, if not better. can't wait for the physical copies!

Some of the subtitles are different, like Uco's "don't make me tap the table again" line was changed to "I don't handle rejection well." But yeah, MOST of the subs seemed identical. At least from what I remember having seen it four times in theaters :tongue:

Secret Executioner
Someone get me the steelbook version!!!!!

If someone could get me copy as well, that would be nice. :xd:

It's official: The Raid 2 is #158 on IMDB's Top 250 list! :bigsmile:

Wow! I gave it a 10, so I guess I contributed. Still, that's a total surprise. There's gonna be some bitching from the internet nerds...

Finally picked up everything in the story. Despite what some people have said about the runtime, it was only wise for Evans to choose such a complicated story with several key characters so that we as viewers can acquaint with them to understand them. Rama, Uco, Bejo, Bangun, Eka. The actors all get their spotlight showing what their acting is made of. Hell, even Prakoso was likable considering how he entered and exited. This is where Evans truly shows his craftsmanship as a film-maker though: Going all out with every single technical detail and placing everything to perfection. There's no sense of things getting rushed nor awkward pacing going on, the film progression slowly and surely takes time building up momentum and racing it only when it's necessary. This is the kind of storytelling most of today's action films lack and should embrace more.

My view on the action is the same. This is by far the best I've seen from team Evans/Uwais (kudos to both) but I still get somewhat bored seeing what I'm so familiar with already. With the exception of the bath-stall fight, the car chase and Bejo's trio assassins, I wasn't particularly moved. The way the fighting plays out comes off very "stuntman"-ish preventing most of the players to show any distinct feats in their movements and looking more like same nobodys fighting and taking hits similarly. The extreme (and sometimes gory) violence infused in the fight scenes is a plus but that's like dipping a strawberry into sugar to add flavor when you don't need to because the taste from the strawberry itself is fine anyway. It's not enough. Show me what you can do with your creativity, be imaginative. The artistry behind the direction, cinematography, music is there so why not do the same with the fight choreography. Overall, I loved the film. Looking forward to part 3.

Rating: 9.5/10

Watched the movie last night. Much prefer the first one, but both were entertaining. The blend of action/horror* in these films isn't something I would want to watch on a regular basis, but it's fine once in a while.

I liked the in-joke for the audience when the head of the anti-corruption squad tells Rama they will train him.

Shame they didn't put one of them in lighter clothing.

* Beyond the blood and gore, the various execution scenes seem drawn out and embellished. It's interesting to contrast the style of these films with HK and now HK/Chinese martial arts movies. These movies seem out beyond the Chang Cheh/John Woo films in terms of gore and other horror elements. I wonder if the somewhat "conservative/restrained" HK/Chinese/British societies is reflected in the action styles in the films.

One Armed Boxer
* Beyond the blood and gore, the various execution scenes seem drawn out and embellished. It's interesting to contrast the style of these films with HK and now HK/Chinese martial arts movies. These movies seem out beyond the Chang Cheh/John Woo films in terms of gore and other horror elements. I wonder if the somewhat "conservative/restrained" HK/Chinese/British societies is reflected in the action styles in the films.

Specifically in regards to your last line, 'The Raid 2' is both written and directed by a British director, Gareth Evans, so I don't think the society of a certain culture is really connected to the on-screen violence found in a countries action movies.