The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Secret Executioner

Keung: I guess it could give a more powerful impact to the scene. Cinematography can be very subtle at times and removing a few seconds, even if it's just a person's face, can alter the emotional impact.

The review of the bonus content on that release is a very enjoyable read. That material looks interesting and is probably way worth the extra price for the blu release.

I hear you. But I think that censoring it in the first place is stupid, and I want to see it as the director intended.

You might be surprised what can happen in a few seconds, and how much difference it can make. For example, imagine if you have great sex for an hour, but just the seconds of actual climax are removed. :neutral: Hmmm... big difference, right? Does it take away the greatness of the rest of the experience? Yes and no. You still enjoyed yourself for 59 minutes and 53 seconds, but you would still miss those 7 seconds, right?

I don't think these few seconds are really the "climatic sex moments" of the movie though, are they? More like the middle or the foreplay? A few seconds can make a huge difference if it's a character building moment, yes, but I think I'm okay without a few frames of graphic violence.

Film- even "an action movie"- is a form of art. A huge collaboration of artists in different fields combining their talents to create one cohesive resulting piece, which is kind of miraculous and against all odds. They all work together to bring this one vision to life for years. Then some talentless "judge"... "overseer"... whatever you want to call them, just says "No. It needs to be altered." To me that's a form of madness. An illogical nonsense beyond comprehension. If people don't want to see a violent film, then they shouldn't. It's a choice. But why do the artists lose their freedom to these ridiculous censors?

Do you see what "all the fuss is about" now, at least from my point of view?

This is more than just another violent movie, though. This is a martial arts and action blowout (I haven't seen it yet, but I think I can safely say this). I love great action and choreography, but don't like the ultra-violence, so it's not that simple for me. In the end, I will probably get this anyway, because I can be okay with the level of violence as long as the movie delivers and I have no doubt this one will for me.

Your defense of the artists who put movies together is completely valid, but really ALL movies end up getting shaped and molded by a studio in the end. It's a collaboration and things always end up on the cutting room floor. Nothing is truly unaltered. And here we aren't talking about 20 minutes like a Jackie Chan US release, just a couple seconds. I can take that.

The extra features Albert talks about in his review of the Blu-ray on the main site sound exactly like the videos that have been available on YouTube for months. We all know the deleted scene is on there.

I guess it could give a more powerful impact to the scene. Cinematography can be very subtle at times and removing a few seconds, even if it's just a person's face, can alter the emotional impact.

Well, having seen the uncut version at the cinema and the US cut, I can tell you the few seconds make no difference whatsoever.

Like I mentioned before. The cuts made in universal soldier day if reckoning.. The cuts (even tho 8 seconds) had a HUGE impact on the story.. Those seconds can be very powerful to the emotional impact and brutality of the movie.. If the "small" cuts are even close to that impactful then it's worth a RB unrated copy. Also what is dubtitles?

Dubtitles are subtitles that are straightly taken from dubs in whatever language. It takes away from what's actually being said in the original language.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I don't think these few seconds are really the "climatic sex moments" of the movie though, are they? More like the middle or the foreplay? A few seconds can make a huge difference if it's a character building moment, yes, but I think I'm okay without a few frames of graphic violence.

I think you missed my point. I was only illustrating that "seconds" can be important. Not saying the film was ruined by the cuts or that they were of the most important scenes.

No sarcasm at all- I am glad that you are okay with these edits. But I was stating that I'm not. It's not just the few seconds of blood, for me it's the principle of the thing. It shouldn't be done in the first place (the editing), and it certainly should be restored to the director's cut for the DVD/BD release. There are director's cuts out there of what I would consider garbage films. But this one? Nope. Sony knows better than this too.

This is more than just another violent movie, though. This is a martial arts and action blowout (I haven't seen it yet, but I think I can safely say this). I love great action and choreography, but don't like the ultra-violence, so it's not that simple for me. In the end, I will probably get this anyway, because I can be okay with the level of violence as long as the movie delivers and I have no doubt this one will for me.

Your personal preference for less violence shouldn't have any bearing on how edited the film's released version is. Only on whether or not you will choose to watch it.

Your defense of the artists who put movies together is completely valid, but really ALL movies end up getting shaped and molded by a studio in the end. It's a collaboration and things always end up on the cutting room floor. Nothing is truly unaltered.

That doesn't make it right, or any more tolerable to me. Perhaps I am more sensitive than I should be regarding this matter, as I've had my own work altered, and it is NOT pleasing.

And here we aren't talking about 20 minutes like a Jackie Chan US release, just a couple seconds. I can take that.

Well, having seen the uncut version at the cinema and the US cut, I can tell you the few seconds make no difference whatsoever.

I'm glad your tolerance of this practice makes this particular release no big deal for you guys. And I'm not being a smart ass. I mean it. You're both good guys, and I'm happy that you won't be bothered by this. But for me it's extremely annoying. It's simple... Sony, just release the uncut freaking film properly.

I heard elsewhere that the subtitles on the blu-ray release appear to be dubtitles...say it ain't so!

I hope that's a fucking joke. :neutral:

That doesn't make it right, or any more tolerable to me. Perhaps I am more sensitive than I should be regarding this matter, as I've had my own work altered, and it is NOT pleasing.

I'm glad your tolerance of this practice makes this particular release no big deal for you guys. And I'm not being a smart ass. I mean it. You're both good guys, and I'm happy that you won't be bothered by this. But for me it's extremely annoying. It's simple... Sony, just release the uncut freaking film properly.

To be clear, I didn't mean to make light of the general practice of taking a film and cutting it up for mass consumption. Of course I would always prefer the filmmakers original vision. I mean, these guys don't get to be where they are out of pure chance; they know how to make movies! But I can be okay with things depending on how bad it is...that's just me. I know people are different. And the fact that you had your own work altered is terrible :sad: I can't even imagine what that must be like.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Thank god I saw this 4 times in the theater, so far it looks like a disaster on bluray format? Lesson learned: If there's a limited screening of a movie you're dying to see? GET YOUR ASS OUT OF THE HOUSE AND GO TO THE THEATER AND PAY MONEY TO SEE IT!!!! STOP WAITING FOR EVERYTHING TO BE PUT ON BLURAY!!!!

I heard elsewhere that the subtitles on the blu-ray release appear to be dubtitles...say it ain't so!

Yes they are dubtitles... pretty common for Sony releases, unfortunately.

Yes they are dubtitles... pretty common for Sony releases, unfortunately.

So the subtitles are not the same as shown in theaters???

ohfudgegiftumblr_zps471240c9.gif

Come on, Sony. I was willing to let the unrated cut go (begrudgingly), just as long as I got to see this movie again. But f*** dubtitles. The worst part is I'm going to HAVE to deal with it. I don't have a region-free blu-ray player, and I don't plan on buying one soon, so I'm stuck.

Secret Executioner

Just one question here: why is Sony fucking up this release like that ? Tons of shitty movies receive great releases loaded with extras and all, but what does this film get ? An edited (maybe not a big deal for everyone, but still), badly done release...

So the subtitles are not the same as shown in theaters???

Friendly reminder:

- subtitles are supposed to be a translation of what the people actually say.

- dubtitles is when the dialogues from another language (or dub) is used as subtitles.

Needless to say the "subtitles" won't be the same, but they'll likely be way inferior too. :sad:

Everyone should just remember that this is the internet and that people are prone to wild speculation. We need cold, hard facts. Are we getting subs or dubs? What exactly is cut on the American version? Will there be an un-rated version sometime down the road with an additional "6" seconds of missing footage? :cry::wink::tongue:

It does seem that Gareth has a lot to do with this release so I hope for the best. It isn't like the studio pulled the movie from his hands and went all crazy and just messed it up. It would be best for someone to ask him directly and then put the quotes up for all to read so we know the truth on the situation.

OpiumKungFuCracker

So it's confirmed that the U.S version is the one to avoid? This is strictly a U.S Sony discussion right? Who is distributed the bluray in the U.K? Can we talk about the U.K release now?

sifu iron perm

torrents are floating about and people are saying its the theatre version..(US release).

I will wait for the UK release in august..

The worst part is I'm going to HAVE to deal with it. I don't have a region-free blu-ray player, and I don't plan on buying one soon, so I'm stuck.

Uh oh. Prepare for a bunch of people saying "What the hell is wrong with you, it's 2014?!"

:tongue:

The torrent is sourced from the US Blu-ray. It has dubtitles, but they're exactly the same as what were on the UK cinema version.

OpiumKungFuCracker
eOne / Entertainment One.

Yeah I'm probably going to have to purchase the U.K version now. Suck it Sony!!!

I was on twitter today and saw Gareth Evans post about The Raid 2 Blu Ray and he advised it's the same cut that was shown in theaters in the US!! He said his film is there with only a few frames removed or some CGI blood toned down. I totally agree that the film should NEVER be censored in any way whatsoever. So this is just to state the director had a hand in the cuts so I trust Evans when it comes to not compromising the film.

So I plan to get both the US version to show the studio I want more films like this and I will purchase the Un-cut UK version to see what I missed the first time around!!

The Raid 2 was so amazing it deserves to be purchased twice!!!!

(Spoiler?) This shot goes on for about a second longer -

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/thecoldreader/vlcsnap-00046_zps1061592c.png

That's the only difference I noticed between the US and UK cuts.

I don't get what's so wrong with that.. They still show it.. Why cut out a a second of it.. Ugh.. I'm so torn.. I want the blu ray opening day.. But honestly can't afford two copies of the same dvd.. So I can't buy both UK and USA releases.. I wish they just had something to say exactly what was cut.