The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

After seeing the R-rated version in the theater I could never imagine what they had to cut. But, I don't know what to do about getting this on blu. I really liked the movie and will get it. I just wonder if only the R-rated will get released first then an unrated or director`s cut will get released at some point. I do not want to double-dip. I was looking forward to the blu ray release but am gonna hold out for an unrated version if possible. Of course, someone should be able to do comparisons so we can actually see what is missing and see if its worth it.

I'm interested in knowing what was actually even cut in the first place.

I got a review screener of the DVD. It's the R rated cut with no deleted/alternate scenes.

I'm on Sony's PR email list and there hasn't been any mention of an unrated/director's cut coming out.

I just rechecked my email and the Blu-ray does have a deleted scene named "Gang War".

Gang war is already on "YouTube" I'm interested to see the difference between the rated r in the states and the unrated in UK.. Not "deleted scenes" in the menu.. I mean the actualy difference in the movie.. What scenes are different or more "brutal"

OpiumKungFuCracker
For comparison, The Raid was a surprise hit and made a little over $4 million. It had an estimated $1 million budget, so it was considered a success. Numbers here via Box Office Mojo.

It's also worth noting that the movie started with a limited release, and eventually the popularity moved it up to more theaters.

For The Raid 2, the budget was estimated at $5 million. This movie also had a wide release almost from the beginning (it followed the 1 week limited release, next week wide release pattern). This movie has only made a little over $3.5 million, and is ranked on Box Office Mojo under "Worst Opening Weekend Per-Theater Averages" and "Worst Openings - Wide Releases". More info here.

I was under the impression the film did extremely well in Indonesia, but obviously that's not a huge film market. Also, the studios that put up the budgets for these movies do not see as much as the foreign market money as you might think, which is why movies like Pacific Rim are considered a failure, despite making over $300 million overseas.

Here's an excellent article about how poorly foreign language films do: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3821&p=.htm

To sum it up:

Unfortunately, I would bet this means that Evans will have trouble getting a budget of even $5 million for his next film. DVD/Blu Ray sales help with genre releases, but ultimately this movie underperformed.

So always remember to support movies like this in theaters and on video!

That's unfortunate for The Raid 2 box office. I still hope somehow, Evans finds a way to do The Raid 3.

Gang war is already on "YouTube" I'm interested to see the difference between the rated r in the states and the unrated in UK.. Not "deleted scenes" in the menu.. I mean the actualy difference in the movie.. What scenes are different or more "brutal"

There's an interview with Gareth Evans on the DVD and he said the cuts to get a R rating were pretty small. They basically used CGI to tone down some of the blood spurts, particularly during the knife fight at the end.

A lot of "unrated" DVDs are usually not that different than the theatrical release, usually just a few more "fucks" or a quick titty shot and the like. The MPAA is super picky and a couple of seconds here and there is the difference between ratings.

There's an interview with Gareth Evans on the DVD and he said the cuts to get a R rating were pretty small. They basically used CGI to tone down some of the blood spurts, particularly during the knife fight at the end.

A lot of "unrated" DVDs are usually not that different than the theatrical release, usually just a few more "fucks" or a quick titty shot and the like. The MPAA is super picky and a couple of seconds here and there is the difference between ratings.

Universal soldier had only 8 seconds of cuts from the nc-17 version and the rated R, but those 8 seconds were powerful..: watching the guys head explode with the bat makes a huge difference when watching the movie, it gives it a more brutal expierence. The extra blood shots on the wall when VD shot his wife.. The back of the old lady's head shot out and hitting the desk.. Those all (to me) were worth the unrated purchase 100%

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I got a review screener of the DVD. It's the R rated cut with no deleted/alternate scenes.

I'm on Sony's PR email list and there hasn't been any mention of an unrated/director's cut coming out.

Neil, you're talking about the R1 release, is that correct?

Universal soldier had only 8 seconds of cuts from the nc-17 version and the rated R, but those 8 seconds were powerful..: watching the guys head explode with the bat makes a huge difference when watching the movie, it gives it a more brutal expierence. The extra blood shots on the wall when VD shot his wife.. The back of the old lady's head shot out and hitting the desk.. Those all (to me) were worth the unrated purchase 100%

I agree. Those seconds made a world of difference! I saw USol:DoR uncut at a festival, and when I saw the R1 cut version (which I only bought for the outstanding, feature-length "Making Of" extra) I was stunned at how much of a difference there is in how those moments played. I'll only ever watch the film itself via the Uncut Version on the R2 release. Ha! Just remembered that this one is in 3D. I got the RS Steelbook Blu-ray (Viva Karlos! :bigsmile:) before I had a 3D TV and forgot it was available in that format. Looks like it's time to re-watch it.

But back to THE RAID 2... Is the R2 release confirmed to be uncut, or is that still debateable?

Secret Executioner
I agree. Those seconds made a world of difference! I saw USol:DoR uncut at a festival, and when I saw the R1 cut version (which I only bought for the outstanding, feature-length "Making Of" extra) I was stunned at how much of a difference there is in how those moments played. I'll only ever watch the film itself via the Uncut Version on the R2 release. Ha! Just remembered that this one is in 3D. I got the RS Steelbook Blu-ray (Viva Karlos! :bigsmile:) before I had a 3D TV and forgot it was available in that format. Looks like it's time to re-watch it.

Was ready to offer you a French (so R2) DVD or BD copy of this one if I could, but it seems like the problem is solved.

Well, guess I'm out. No shipping outside to U.K:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Agreed, that blows. Not sure what the movie's worth having not seen it for myself, but that package looks damn nice.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Was ready to offer you a French (so R2) DVD or BD copy of this one if I could, but it seems like the problem is solved.

Thank you! Very nice of you to even consider that. :bigsmile:

Agreed, that blows. Not sure what the movie's worth having not seen it for myself, but that package looks damn nice.

See it! :nerd:

So... THE RAID 2 R2 release... uncut version for sure? Anyone have a screener copy yet that can confirm this?

I got the advanced copy of the U.S. Blu-Ray, which I'm going to watch this weekend. The deleted gang war sequence is a Blu Ray exclusive and a few featurettes. As mentioned, I'm going to watch the Blu-Ray, both the film again (this time with my parents, who loved the original Raid and have been wanting to see this!) and the extras.

And I will have a review of the Blu-Ray on the main site :)

Noelle Shadow Kick
I got the advanced copy of the U.S. Blu-Ray, which I'm going to watch this weekend. The deleted gang war sequence is a Blu Ray exclusive and a few featurettes. As mentioned, I'm going to watch the Blu-Ray, both the film again (this time with my parents, who loved the original Raid and have been wanting to see this!) and the extras.

Looking forward to it!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Right on. Albert, I hope you guys all enjoy watching it together.

But, uh... HAS ANYONE SEEN AN ADVANCED COPY OF THE REGION 2 RELEASE AND CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT IT'S UNCUT? :tongue: LOL

Fingers crossed for so long now... cramping... :cry:

Right on. Albert, I hope you guys all enjoy watching it together.

But, uh... HAS ANYONE SEEN AN ADVANCED COPY OF THE REGION 2 RELEASE AND CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT IT'S UNCUT? :tongue: LOL

Fingers crossed for so long now... cramping... :cry:

From what I've read, even the theatrical release in the UK was "unrated" and that was from Evans own twitter account. It would be strange to see them censor it on dvd. I've been checking over and over for information on the unrated copy, but can't find anything. I'm about to message Garth himself to get answers :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
From what I've read, even the theatrical release in the UK was "unrated" and that was from Evans own twitter account. It would be strange to see them censor it on dvd. I've been checking over and over for information on the unrated copy, but can't find anything. I'm about to message Garth himself to get answers :)

YEAH! That's what I wanted to hear. :nerd:

Mr. Karlos told me it was to be uncut, and he is extremely reliable. But then I suddenly heard people saying that every home video edition would be cut, and I got nervous. I needed reassurance. :angel: Ha ha ha...

YEAH! That's what I wanted to hear. :nerd:

Mr. Karlos told me it was to be uncut, and he is extremely reliable. But then I suddenly heard people saying that every home video edition would be cut, and I got nervous. I needed reassurance. :angel: Ha ha ha...

I can't guarantee in blood. But this is what I read

It's a rare occasion that film fans outside of the US can pity American film buffs. Most of the time, the US get the complete and longest versions of movies while other territories aren't always so lucky. But the case of The Raid 2 is a remarkable exception. Already being censored in order to get the "R" rating for the theatrical release, one could have expected that the home video releases would solve this unfortunate situation and offer fans the unrated version of the movie. This was especially interesting for US customers since other markets such as Germany and the UK got the uncensored version from the beginning and are not affected by the MPAA censorship.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I can't guarantee in blood. But this is what I read .

I really would prefer the guarantee in blood to be honest. :angel:

I don't see what all the fuss is about, to be honest.

A few extra seconds of the camera lingering on someone's face is hardly something to get upset about.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I don't see what all the fuss is about, to be honest.

A few extra seconds of the camera lingering on someone's face is hardly something to get upset about.

I hear you. But I think that censoring it in the first place is stupid, and I want to see it as the director intended.

You might be surprised what can happen in a few seconds, and how much difference it can make. For example, imagine if you have great sex for an hour, but just the seconds of actual climax are removed. :neutral: Hmmm... big difference, right? Does it take away the greatness of the rest of the experience? Yes and no. You still enjoyed yourself for 59 minutes and 53 seconds, but you would still miss those 7 seconds, right?

Film- even "an action movie"- is a form of art. A huge collaboration of artists in different fields combining their talents to create one cohesive resulting piece, which is kind of miraculous and against all odds. They all work together to bring this one vision to life for years. Then some talentless "judge"... "overseer"... whatever you want to call them, just says "No. It needs to be altered." To me that's a form of madness. An illogical nonsense beyond comprehension. If people don't want to see a violent film, then they shouldn't. It's a choice. But why do the artists lose their freedom to these ridiculous censors?

Do you see what "all the fuss is about" now, at least from my point of view?