The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Secret Executioner
I sincerely doubt that Amazon will have a cut version compared to the Walmart and Best Buy releases.

It's probably just a case of them not adding it to the description.

And an usual thing with amazon: the thing isn't out yet, but it already has reviews. :ooh:

Secret Executioner
Is it me or are the prices SKY HIGH?

Unless it's a special edition, the BD on amazon is quite expensive indeed.

Didn't Gareth say it was cut by literally "frames" to get an R? Nobody's going to notice if that stuff is reinstated. The cover still says 150 minutes.

Is it me or are the prices SKY HIGH?
Sometime they list a price close to the MRSP but as the release date gets closer they drop the price especially to match what other retailers are doing.

Target, Best Buy, Walmart, TRU, Kmart and a few others all price match each other (Amazon do lower their price to match the other stores) - the main difference being that one retailer whould have an exclusive attached to a release as to have shoppers shop at their store instead.

As to the rated/unrated - let's wait closer to the release date / more info is released.

Didn't Gareth say it was cut by literally "frames" to get an R?

It's probably a bit more than that. After all, why would MPAA demand cuts so small they don't make any difference?

Sometimes it's not even frames that they cut out, it's the amount of stuff they show. For example universal soldier in the uncut version when he shoots the wife in the head, what they cut out in the rated R version is the amount of blood on the wall. The baseball bat exploding the head is literally only 1-2 seconds but that is a important moment to keep the brutality in the film..

It would just be nice to see the scene with Kazuki Kitamura on the escalator that we got in two trailers.

I actually forgot about that! I was looking forward to that and it never happened. Did even sever address that it will be in the uncensored version? It was that scene scrapped altogether

One Armed Boxer
The Raid 2 - Only R-Rated on US Blu-ray and DVD

- http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=7343

Wow, the US seems to be getting screwed with uncut DVD releases lately if the article is true. First the edited down 'Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning', and now this. Hopefully it turns out to not be the case,

There's that scene and I'd like to see the scene where Rama injures the politician's son.

Was this actually filmed?

Noelle Shadow Kick

Wow, what a bummer about the US version not including the Unrated. It's so absurdly frustrating! It doesn't make sense to me. It's especially annoying because I can just go downtown and get a bootleg copy with the right version I'm sure, but I always support these releases. For The Raid, I have a bootleg and then own the unrated blu ray. It's just so annoying.

Unfortunately Berandal badly underperformed in the box office, so if we ever want to see The Raid 3 with a decent budget we all pretty much HAVE to buy this movie. It's just frustrating that they can't even give us the unrated version.

And yeah, $35 for just the blu ray? What the hell?

Misanthrope

The $35 Blu-Ray price right now doesn't bother me, because Amazon's pre-order price guarantee will take effect when the inevitable drop happens closer to release.

Only an R rated version being available in the US is more concerning, especially since the first one was Unrated on home media. I hope it's not some lame cash grab where an unrated cut comes out in the fall around the holidays, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Studios have literally included insert ads for the "deluxe" edition of a movie coming out in a few months inside of the standard release LOL.

Hopefully within the next few weeks, Gareth will be able to answer some questions via Twitter about which cuts will be available where.

I just want to know exactly what is cut or left out before I make a purchase.. Ether way ima buy it.. Just want to know if I buy the Uk version or is it simple cuts and I buy the USA copy..with Both versions being the same length, is it just the amount of blood that is cut out? Or will we be getting extra scenes in the unrated version... But as the price goes, the wrath of varja started out on amazon being 24.99$ but when the release day finally came out it dropped to 9.99$

Unfortunately Berandal badly underperformed in the box office, so if we ever want to see The Raid 3 with a decent budget we all pretty much HAVE to buy this movie. It's just frustrating that they can't even give us the unrated version.

The theaters by my house had a decent turn out I would be surprised if it didn't make its money back at least. Did it not do well in asian markets? What about Europe?

Was this actually filmed?

Yeah. There's more, actually:

"No, we had three executions plus the scene of Iko beating up the politician’s son and then we had a huge shootout during a street festival. We shot that one for about 5 or 6 days and spent a lot of money on it but when it came time for the final edit that scene didn’t work."

http://www.hypable.com/2014/04/16/raid-2-gareth-evans-director-interview/

Noelle Shadow Kick
The theaters by my house had a decent turn out I would be surprised if it didn't make its money back at least. Did it not do well in asian markets? What about Europe?

For comparison, The Raid was a surprise hit and made a little over $4 million. It had an estimated $1 million budget, so it was considered a success. Numbers here via Box Office Mojo.

It's also worth noting that the movie started with a limited release, and eventually the popularity moved it up to more theaters.

For The Raid 2, the budget was estimated at $5 million. This movie also had a wide release almost from the beginning (it followed the 1 week limited release, next week wide release pattern). This movie has only made a little over $3.5 million, and is ranked on Box Office Mojo under "Worst Opening Weekend Per-Theater Averages" and "Worst Openings - Wide Releases". More info here.

I was under the impression the film did extremely well in Indonesia, but obviously that's not a huge film market. Also, the studios that put up the budgets for these movies do not see as much as the foreign market money as you might think, which is why movies like Pacific Rim are considered a failure, despite making over $300 million overseas.

Here's an excellent article about how poorly foreign language films do: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3821&p=.htm

To sum it up:

The combined ticket sales for every single foreign language movie released in 2013 is roughly on par with The Hangover Part III.

Unfortunately, I would bet this means that Evans will have trouble getting a budget of even $5 million for his next film. DVD/Blu Ray sales help with genre releases, but ultimately this movie underperformed.

So always remember to support movies like this in theaters and on video!

Noelle Shadow Kick
Yeah. There's more, actually:

"No, we had three executions plus the scene of Iko beating up the politician’s son and then we had a huge shootout during a street festival. We shot that one for about 5 or 6 days and spent a lot of money on it but when it came time for the final edit that scene didn’t work."

http://www.hypable.com/2014/04/16/raid-2-gareth-evans-director-interview/

Great interview! I hadn't seen this, I didn't realize there was so much deleted footage. Thanks for sharing!

The blu ray dvd sales will make up a lot of that..the raid is still selling like hot cakes 4 years later.. I'm interested in seeing the comparison for the USA version and the UK version.. I want to know what the "uncut" version has that the rated at version doesn't offer.. I want to pre order it but don't want to make the wrong decision.. Does anyone have this info?

After seeing the R-rated version in the theater I could never imagine what they had to cut. But, I don't know what to do about getting this on blu. I really liked the movie and will get it. I just wonder if only the R-rated will get released first then an unrated or director`s cut will get released at some point. I do not want to double-dip. I was looking forward to the blu ray release but am gonna hold out for an unrated version if possible. Of course, someone should be able to do comparisons so we can actually see what is missing and see if its worth it.