The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Speaking of ladies… lol

I forgot to mention that I did drag my gf to see Raid 2 (and she didn’t even see the first one) and she loved every minute of it. She said it was the best action movie ever.

Of course, it didn’t help that she thought the two leads were good looking. But I hit back at her by drooling over Julie Estelle.

I did that with Kill Bill Vol. 1. Gonna end up beating that record with this movie easily since I live like 5 mins away from the theater its playing at and I have a job.

That was my "record film" as well! Good ol' fall of '03 :wink:

What was the last film?

See above :bigsmile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Woah woah woah. Some ladies LOVE action films and....wait, no. Pretty sure I'm not a "lady." :tongue:

And my bf just LOVED Pacific Rim! I was shocked! Hopefully the new Godzilla movie is good too and he'll be a kaiju convert haha.

My boyfriend really likes Enter the Dragon, but that's about it haha. We've watched Ip Man and then saw SPL at the New York Asian Film Fest with a Q and A from Donnie Yen after, and his response was "I guess I'm not totally sold on the genre, I'll have to see." And in my head I was like "uhh....I think that just means he doesn't like the genre" haha. We watched the first Raid recently and he goes "didn't the reviews say the sequel is MORE brutal? how would that be possible?!" so he didn't come see The Raid 2 with me hahaha.

Okay, I actually thought of you as I typed that, thinking "Well... there are exceptions." But they're rare. Finding a cool lady that shares our passion for kung fu films with is like finding a rare flower that stays in bloom all year... and can smack you down with it's leaves while still looking graceful. :wink: They're almost as rare as... guys that don't like kung fu films! LOL What are the odds that you found one? :smile: The good news? If he doesn't treat you right, you can use any kung fu film screening like a dating service. Just stand up and announce "I love kung fu movies. Who wants to take me out to dinner?" and take your pick of all the dudes that jump out of their seats.

Speaking of ladies… lol

I forgot to mention that I did drag my gf to see Raid 2 (and she didn’t even see the first one) and she loved every minute of it. She said it was the best action movie ever.

Of course, it didn’t help that she thought the two leads were good looking. But I hit back at her by drooling over Julie Estelle.

Right on man! I know nothing else about her, but... she sounds like a keeper. :xd:

That was my "record film" as well! Good ol' fall of '03 :wink:

See above :bigsmile:

That makes sense. :bigsmile: I didn't see it as much in the theater as you and OpiumKungFuCracker, but I do love KILL BILL VOL. 1. In fact, when my buddy and I saw it and the Shaw Brothers theme came up, we were so excited we started clapping. Almost everyone in the theater turned to look at us like "Huh? Why are they clapping?" :nerd:

Reading your review was like having a flashback to seeing the film for me. I feel the same way. Before the film I kept saying "I can't wait to see it." Now that I have, it's changed to "Can't wait to see it again." :nerd:

It really is that good, isn't it? In the entire 25 years I've spent on this planet, I've never seen a movie that was so "me". Everything I grew up on to the stuff I'm into now and I've carried with me - Jackie, Jet, Woo's themes and his violence, Kitano, Miike (that dildo scene :tongue: ), Scorsese's there and so is Sezuki (the bit with Rama, Bejo, Uco and the shotguns had a Sezuki "pop" to it). Everyone mentions Game of Death in reference to the finale, which is an accurate observation, but there's shades of Wheels on Meals and Taxi Driver there too. Rama's fight with the Assassin reminded of Jackie's fight with Benny "the Jet" and the entire rampage brought to mind Travis Bickle. Rama, his inner-demons and his rage - it's very Scorsese-esque.

I dunno, I feel like I've met my cinematic kindred spirit in Evans. It's strange. And this is kinda personal, but it's just you guys, so who cares, but I identified with Rama. I can't do half the damage he did and I'm not a cop nor have I ever been to prison, but as someone who's dealt with depression and self-doubt and anger issues, I get it. It was awesome to watch a badass martial arts flick with a lead character I actually identified with in some way.

Just a brilliant movie, from A to Z. I can't wait to see it again either, but I think I'm gonna call it a day at 2 viewings. I'll just be that much more eager to see it when it hits blu-ray.

Edit: And I loved, loved, LOVED the music. Especially the Nine Inch Nails tracks at the end. " No, I'm done."

Edit: And I loved, loved, LOVED the music. Especially the Nine Inch Nails tracks at the end. " No, I'm done."

Ditto! The more I paid attention to "13 Ghosts II" playing in the final scene upon repeat viewings, the more I realized that they "sweetened" the track a bit more compared to the album version... might have to try to rip that edit when it comes out later in the year. And yeah, I won't lie... the music mixed with that final push in shot with the line "No... I'm done", got me a pinch choked up :cry: Seriously, when you think about the hell he endured across two films and three years, that line just has such a (for a lack of a better word) punch to it.

kungfusamurai

I'm gonna take the unpopular stance and say that I didn't like Raid 2 as much as I wanted to. I felt it started off wrong, by not doing a short recap of the first movie, so that newcomers could get an idea of who they were watching and what the protagonist had gone through to reach that point.

I found the first 20 min a bit confusing, with the edits, and jumping here and there with different scenes until it settled down into his prison situation.

There were some pretty good fights, and the last 20min was really where the film picked up for me, but overall, I felt the film became overly complicated with all the characters and double crosses.

What I really enjoyed about the first Raid was the build up of violence, and the consistent energy that was evident throughout that movie. Raid 2 was just sort of limping along, and whatever fight scenes there were, they seemed a bit forced in that Gareth Evans was trying too hard to make them even more shocking and memorable as the ones in the first film.

I might watch it again to see if my opinion changes. Perhaps when the Blu Ray comes out, that's when I'll watch it.

Overall, a decent drama with action flick, that probably could have trimmed out a good 45 minutes to an hour of the first 2 hours of the film.

But she has told me during several classic kung fu films that "These are the parts that bore me" referring to... the kung fu scenes! :ooh:

I laughed at this because I can relate to it SOOOO much. I mean, my wife likes action and sci-fi movies, which is awesome, but to her kung fu scenes are boring. I will definitely be watching The Raid 2 by myself. :tongue:

lillippa328

10/10 amazing...... honestly I cant see why any martial arts fan would complain about this film, its everything we want, and i feel like no matter how great something is people always want to go against the grain...I had not watched a single trailer on this film (other than the teaser) going into this movie, completely blind, and it was awesome...very satisfying in every department...good story, jaw dropping action...and the brutality we've always NEEDED to see...(baseball bats baby!!!!) I LOVE the editing, no cut to brutal stuff...the shot turns into brutal stuff...so satisfying! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys should consider yourselves lucky if you have a girlfriend to take to these movies, especially if she loves martial arts/action films, haha! I have to reiterate that while I thought this was the most accomplished film by Gareth Evans to date (haven't seen Footsteps, but heard some nasty things about it), I can't quite decide if I like it as well as part 1. I really really liked it. overall though, that final fight with Mad Dog in part 1 was just the best fight between the 2 films. The Raid 1 also holds my record for most times I've seen a movie in the theater, at 3. the only previous martial arts films I saw more than once in theaters were Rush Hour and Danny the Dog [aka Unleashed], 2x each. I'm definitely considering seeing Raid 2 in the theater at least once more, but I doubt it'll hit 3 times in theaters. I do plan on being at the stores at midnight on the eve of the DVD/BD release date though, although it's iffy if the stores that are open all night (Walmart, etc.) will even have it in on street date. They didn't have part 1, so always gotta keep Best Buy/FYE as daytime backup plans

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just saw it for a 4th time, tied with Kill Bill Vol. 1 as the most watched movie at a public theater. Fifth viewing, do I have it in me?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just a brilliant movie, from A to Z. I can't wait to see it again either, but I think I'm gonna call it a day at 2 viewings. I'll just be that much more eager to see it when it hits blu-ray.

2 viewings is not enough, trust me. Watch the movie 3X then call it a day.

OpiumKungFuCracker
you guys should consider yourselves lucky if you have a girlfriend to take to these movies, especially if she loves martial arts/action films, haha!

What are girlfriend? How do I obtain one? Is this something I can buy online?

Just saw it for a 4th time, tied with Kill Bill Vol. 1 as the most watched movie at a public theater. Fifth viewing, do I have it in me?

Of course you have it in you! Go for your record! Go to today's first viewing and while you're there, why not staying for a 6th viewing!!! :tongue! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker
Of course you have it in you! Go for your record! Go to today's first viewing and while you're there, why not staying for a 6th viewing!!! :tongue! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

LOL, Yeah I'm ready, I go go go!

I'm certainly ready for a third viewing! Fuck, I haven't been this excited about a film for years.

My old man loved it, too! We sat at the very back and even watched all the credits. Also, I shit you not, there was a granny there. I'm talking huge glasses, white afro kinda granny!

Later that same day we watched the tenth anniversary screening of Shaun of the Dead. Great turnout! Lots of laughs and comments from the audience. Brilliant!

TheGrimReaper

To all who have seen the movie in cinema I'll leave one line from a well known British comedy: YOU LUCKY BASTARDS!!! YOU LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARDS!!! (if you are wondering from which movie is taken - Monty Python's Life of Brian) :wink::bigsmile:.

I truly envy all of you, who already seen it - where I live this movie won't even be released on DVD or Bluray, a cinema screening is out of the question undoubtedly.

I'll wait for illegal way of seen this one - here the martial arts movies are just being ignored by distributors and cinemas alike.

Thank you for all shared emotions - I'm looking forward to it :nerd:

Go for it! :smile: I might shoot for my fourth viewing by Monday if all goes well!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I dunno, I feel like I've met my cinematic kindred spirit in Evans. It's strange. And this is kinda personal, but it's just you guys, so who cares, but I identified with Rama. I can't do half the damage he did and I'm not a cop nor have I ever been to prison, but as someone who's dealt with depression and self-doubt and anger issues, I get it. It was awesome to watch a badass martial arts flick with a lead character I actually identified with in some way.

I'm glad that the movie affected to you in such a powerful way, and also that you felt safe sharing your personal feelings with us. You're safe here brother. :bigsmile:

Ditto! The more I paid attention to "13 Ghosts II" playing in the final scene upon repeat viewings, the more I realized that they "sweetened" the track a bit more compared to the album version... might have to try to rip that edit when it comes out later in the year..

The music really is perfect for the film. I may have to pick up the soundtrack as well.

And yeah, I won't lie... the music mixed with that final push in shot with the line "No... I'm done", got me a pinch choked up :cry: Seriously, when you think about the hell he endured across two films and three years, that line just has such a (for a lack of a better word) punch to it.

Me too. I felt like my throat tightened a bit when he said that.

I'm gonna take the unpopular stance and say that I didn't like Raid 2 as much as I wanted to. I felt it started off wrong, by not doing a short recap of the first movie, so that newcomers could get an idea of who they were watching and what the protagonist had gone through to reach that point.

I found the first 20 min a bit confusing, with the edits, and jumping here and there with different scenes until it settled down into his prison situation.

There were some pretty good fights, and the last 20min was really where the film picked up for me, but overall, I felt the film became overly complicated with all the characters and double crosses.

What I really enjoyed about the first Raid was the build up of violence, and the consistent energy that was evident throughout that movie. Raid 2 was just sort of limping along, and whatever fight scenes there were, they seemed a bit forced in that Gareth Evans was trying too hard to make them even more shocking and memorable as the ones in the first film.

I might watch it again to see if my opinion changes. Perhaps when the Blu Ray comes out, that's when I'll watch it.

Overall, a decent drama with action flick, that probably could have trimmed out a good 45 minutes to an hour of the first 2 hours of the film.

You're not alone in feeling that way. Several other friends have expressed similar feelings. I'm betting that you'll enjoy this much more on a second viewing.

I laughed at this because I can relate to it SOOOO much. I mean, my wife likes action and sci-fi movies, which is awesome, but to her kung fu scenes are boring. I will definitely be watching The Raid 2 by myself. :tongue:

It can be maddening. I'm watching a film, there's this huge build-up to the main villain and the hero finally fighting. They circle one another... the music builds in tempo... They scream out their war cries and rush at one another... And... "You know what color we should re-paint the living-room?" :ooh: Huh?! :neutral: "Dow? Right now we have to talk about paint? I'm watching the movie's climax." "Well it's not like you're going to miss dialogue or something. They're just fighting." :tinysmile_angry2_t: Argh!

10/10 amazing...... honestly I cant see why any martial arts fan would complain about this film, its everything we want, and i feel like no matter how great something is people always want to go against the grain...I had not watched a single trailer on this film (other than the teaser) going into this movie, completely blind, and it was awesome...very satisfying in every department...good story, jaw dropping action...and the brutality we've always NEEDED to see...(baseball bats baby!!!!) I LOVE the editing, no cut to brutal stuff...the shot turns into brutal stuff...so satisfying! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah yeah! I knew you'd love it man. The final shot of Baseball Man is one of my favorites in the film (please don't SPOIL it anybody).

you guys should consider yourselves lucky if you have a girlfriend to take to these movies, especially if she loves martial arts/action films, haha! I have to reiterate that while I thought this was the most accomplished film by Gareth Evans to date (haven't seen Footsteps, but heard some nasty things about it), I can't quite decide if I like it as well as part 1. I really really liked it. overall though, that final fight with Mad Dog in part 1 was just the best fight between the 2 films. The Raid 1 also holds my record for most times I've seen a movie in the theater, at 3. the only previous martial arts films I saw more than once in theaters were Rush Hour and Danny the Dog [aka Unleashed], 2x each. I'm definitely considering seeing Raid 2 in the theater at least once more, but I doubt it'll hit 3 times in theaters. I do plan on being at the stores at midnight on the eve of the DVD/BD release date though, although it's iffy if the stores that are open all night (Walmart, etc.) will even have it in on street date. They didn't have part 1, so always gotta keep Best Buy/FYE as daytime backup plans

Yes, I do. I do consider myself lucky. I just saw a subtitled Indonesian martial arts film in a suburban multi-plex?! :smile: Hard to believe. One of my friends in Canada just told me that the closest showing to him is 90 km away! I can drive twenty minutes in any of three different directions and see it. I wish it were the same for everybody.

Go for it! :smile:

What are girlfriend? How do I obtain one? Is this something I can buy online?

Forget about it. You're not ready for one. Just stick with that nasty damp blanket you carry around (and secretly abuse) for now.

Cheered like only a true sports fan can cheer someone on.

I'm certainly ready for a third viewing! Fuck, I haven't been this excited about a film for years.

My old man loved it, too! We sat at the very back and even watched all the credits. Also, I shit you not, there was a granny there. I'm talking huge glasses, white afro kinda granny!

Later that same day we watched the tenth anniversary screening of Shaun of the Dead. Great turnout! Lots of laughs and comments from the audience. Brilliant!

That's so cool that you got to see it with your father and that he enjoyed it. And SHAUN OF THE DEAD in the same day? Awesome. :nerd: My parents live too far away now to spend time in the theater when we get to see them. But they're both big movie fans and took me to see a ton of great stuff throughout my life. Before they moved I took my Dad to see the last Rambo film (we saw them all together), and it was cool being there with him. Once it came out on home video my son and I watched THE RAID on Blu-ray with my Dad (while Mom, sister and wife went shopping) and he really dug it. So when THE RAID 2 comes out on Blu, we'll do the same.

To all who have seen the movie in cinema I'll leave one line from a well known British comedy: YOU LUCKY BASTARDS!!! YOU LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARDS!!! (if you are wondering from which movie is taken - Monty Python's Life of Brian) :wink::bigsmile:

Hey, a quote that I knew! :tongue:

I truly envy all of you, who already seen it - where I live this movie won't even be released on DVD or Bluray, a cinema screening is out of the question undoubtedly.

Huh? I don't like to pry, but... Aw, who am I kidding? I love to pry. Where on God's green Earth do you live where it won't even be released on DVD or Blu-ray? :ooh: Because of censorship? What's the deal? :ooh:

I'll wait for illegal way of seen this one - here the martial arts movies are just being ignored by distributors and cinemas alike.

No, don't say that. Even if it's not sold where you live, can't you just buy the Blu-ray on-line once it's released?

Noelle Shadow Kick

Yeah yeah! I knew you'd love it man. The final shot of Baseball Man is one of my favorites in the film (please don't SPOIL it anybody).

I know! I love that. Just saw this again last night and at both screenings that got a rise out of the audience haha.

But yeah, saw this again last night and it is just so good! I will say that this time around though the people in the theater didn't seem to know what movie they were at though. There were a handful of girls spread throughout the theater who clearly felt it was too much (boys and girls, if your significant other isn't into it, don't bring them to ruin it for the rest of the theater) and there were some very rude guys around my age sitting directly behind me.

I had just popped in for a second viewing because my friends were busy last night, so I was by myself. These guys behind me kept loudly mocking me saying things like "is that chick lost? Does she think this is the new Zac Efron movie?" and stuff like that. Not in a funny way, they just sounded malicious. And then at the end of the movie? They couldn't handle the violence! If you're going to mock a stranger, you damn well better be able to handle the movie you're seeing. Looks like I wasn't the one who was lost!

But back to the movie, I feel like I was able to unpack more of the choreography this time around and it is just stunning. Brutal yet with an odd grace to it. And as much as I love Hammer Girl (I'm totally going as her to comic con this year!), Baseball Bat Man is just as awesome! He may not be a hot chick, but lets give the guy some credit too hahaha.

I'll have to go back for Round 3 to try to comprehend that final fight better. It just blows my mind!

Drunken Monk
These guys behind me kept loudly mocking me saying things like "is that chick lost? Does she think this is the new Zac Efron movie?" and stuff like that. Not in a funny way, they just sounded malicious. And then at the end of the movie? They couldn't handle the violence! If you're going to mock a stranger, you damn well better be able to handle the movie you're seeing. Looks like I wasn't the one who was lost!

I'd have had them thrown out. What a pair of twats. I can't stand others who bully people in public places just to get a laugh out of their "partner in crime."

Forget about it. You're not ready for one. Just stick with that nasty damp blanket you carry around (and secretly abuse) for now.

LMAO! I second that!

sifu iron perm
I know! I love that. Just saw this again last night and at both screenings that got a rise out of the audience haha.

But yeah, saw this again last night and it is just so good! I will say that this time around though the people in the theater didn't seem to know what movie they were at though. There were a handful of girls spread throughout the theater who clearly felt it was too much (boys and girls, if your significant other isn't into it, don't bring them to ruin it for the rest of the theater) and there were some very rude guys around my age sitting directly behind me.

I had just popped in for a second viewing because my friends were busy last night, so I was by myself. These guys behind me kept loudly mocking me saying things like "is that chick lost? Does she think this is the new Zac Efron movie?" and stuff like that. Not in a funny way, they just sounded malicious. And then at the end of the movie? They couldn't handle the violence! If you're going to mock a stranger, you damn well better be able to handle the movie you're seeing. Looks like I wasn't the one who was lost!

But back to the movie, I feel like I was able to unpack more of the choreography this time around and it is just stunning. Brutal yet with an odd grace to it. And as much as I love Hammer Girl (I'm totally going as her to comic con this year!), Baseball Bat Man is just as awesome! He may not be a hot chick, but lets give the guy some credit too hahaha.

I'll have to go back for Round 3 to try to comprehend that final fight better. It just blows my mind!

Wish you took a pair of hammers to that screening, give them fools a hint!

I know at my theater some people misread "Raid 2" as "Rio 2" on their ticket it took awhile for one parent to figure that out and leave.:xd:

TheGrimReaper

@Kung Fu Bob: I live in Bulgaria and sadly no martial arts are coming closer either on cinema or on dvd/bluray and I'm getting really annoyed by this situation.

All movies in my carefully selected collection has been obtained through online retaliers such as Amazon, Ebay, Yes Asia and Zavvi, but I do not know if I would have the nerves to wait for the official release of The Raid 2 to buy it, it's just too much.

I will buy it nevertheless, but maybe I'll check it out when hits the torrent sites first I'm sorry. Thanks for the comment and it is good that you also enjoyed Life of Brian :wink: