The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

so i read it only made 1 mill @ the box office.

I get that this film won't appeal to everyone but that's a shame. Probably doesn't help that it released so close to The Winter Soldier too.

Drunken Monk
so i read it only made 1 mill @ the box office.

The first film only made four million at the box office during its entire US run. The bulk of its money (an additional six million) came from DVD sales.

And this isn't even including foreign figures. I think that with DVD sales, it'll easily double it's estimated 4.5 million dollar budget.

This may not be a hit at the box office but people are undeniably taken notice. The most obvious example is the proposed remake. Even the Russo brothers credited The Raid 1 as primary influence for their action scenes in Cap 2 and they turned out to be Marvel's best in my opinion. Evans has left his mark and I see him having a good career in the future.

Am I the only one who still prefers the first one?

Yup :tongue:

It's gotten to the point that the first one I feel like I can pop on anytime on a whim and enjoy... like a gourmet burger.

The second one, I need to make time to sit down and get sucked into it and appreciate it all... like a filet mignon :smile:

Sticking with my 8/10 for the first one and 9/10 for the second. Now I'm hungry, not sure why...

Sticking with my 8/10 for the first one and 9/10 for the second. Now I'm hungry, not sure why...

Curious... why not a "10"?

At first, I thought it was moving a little slow… But about an hour in, there’s a point where the movie starts switching gears, and when it does, it’s one minute that’s more amazing than the one before it. And this goes on for a good hour! (give or take).

Everything I disliked about the first Raid was corrected. That’s what I like about The Raid 2.

Curious... why not a "10"?

At first, I thought it was moving a little slow… But about an hour in, there’s a point where the movie starts switching gears, and when it does, it’s one minute that’s more amazing than the one before it. And this goes on for a good hour! (give or take).

Everything I disliked about the first Raid was corrected. That’s what I like about The Raid 2.

I enjoyed the second one alot also, but there's no reason they couldn't fix the shakey cam parts, that alone keeps it from a 10

I enjoyed the second one alot also, but there's no reason they couldn't fix the shakey cam parts, that alone keeps it from a 10

that is probably the biggest reason i enjoyed the first one more.

No worries, figured it got lost in the mix :tongue: Btw, my voice will sound familiar to those who watched the "Bruce Lee VS Peter Thomas" featurette on Shout Factory's release of The Big Boss :wink:

That’s a tight video review, man.

Dude, Brandon Bentley…. I apologize but had no idea that was you. Lol

I think I’ve brought this up many times, but a loooong time ago you were working on a Big Boss 2000 or Game of Death 2000 or something, right?

Seriously, good job to you and your buddy on that review.

Also, watched the NES Robocop review too. I subscribed and will definitely be a regular viewer. Request: review The Big Boss! Would love to see you guys mock some of that english dubbing and make fun of the guy with the yellow shirt (with a belt over it). I know you know everything about that film, so I think it would make an interesting one!

That’s a tight video review, man.

Dude, Brandon Bentley…. I apologize but had no idea that was you. Lol

I think I’ve brought this up many times, but a loooong time ago you were working on a Big Boss 2000 or Game of Death 2000 or something, right?

Seriously, good job to you and your buddy on that review.

Thanks! Yeah, my usernames have bounced around a lot over the years... Bentley Siu-Lung (oh, the middle school days), Bentley2005, and now "Old Friend" :wink:

And yeah, I was going to try to do a Game of Death remake back in '01 that would've been set in a multi-floor high school building... needless to say, it's one concept I'm WAY too happy fell through! I'm sure you remember those ridiculous "rehearsal videos" my friends and I did :tongue: Yeah, seems like a lot of my movie ideas were pretty bad back then. I'd like to think I've gotten a pinch better after years of film school training in college :smile:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Alright, I'm a little ticked here. I've seen more shaky bits in the first film than I did in the 2nd film. The damn movie was 2 1/2 hrs long, it wasn't shaking for the whole damn time. I'm out!!! Oh and the Uco story-line is so much better on weed.

Alright, I'm a little ticked here. I've seen more shaky bits in the first film than I did in the 2nd film. The damn movie was 2 1/2 hrs long, it wasn't shaking for the whole damn time. I'm out!!! Oh and the Uco story-line is so much better on weed.

The shaky stuff didn't bother me too much until the bar fight... even then, it was tolerable. Unfortunately, the shaky cam thing seems like it's here to stay.

The shaky stuff didn't bother me too much until the bar fight... even then, it was tolerable. Unfortunately, the shaky cam thing seems like it's here to stay.

It made me dizzy. I thought shakey was to disguise something, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Imho shakey cam makes the movie look amateurish, which is fine till you drop $60 to see it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I remembered just that fight with the shaky stuff, I don't recall the others.

It made me dizzy. I thought shakey was to disguise something, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Imho shakey cam makes the movie look amateurish, which is fine till you drop $60 to see it.

I can understand when someone is getting dizzy, take for example; Capt Phillips, I've yet to finish that film and the shaky stuff happens alot on a boat!!!

So, I've seen it twice and I wanted to take a step back before I said anything. It was fantastic. Morally complex and it's all very Shakespearean, which I enjoyed. There's weight here and Rama has an actual, honest-to-god character arc. All of the violence happens for a reason and has a context and I was impressed with how Evans used his action scenes to not only move the story forward, but they ARE the story. The violence clues us in to who these people are and their respective states-of-mind. Rama, for instance, is noticeably angrier in this one, and it shows in the fight scenes. The ending, in particular, shows a guy who's driven by revenge and has a need to escape back to and protect his family. I was also impressed with how much Iko could tell us with just his eyes. Must be something Evans has caught onto because he uses it to great effect. Uco was another character I was really into. Just pure rage, incarnate.

Oh yeah, and it just kicks ass too. I mean, sweet Jeebus, does this thing move. It's fantastic up to the final hour, and then it cranks things up from 11 to 34. The car chase has to be seen to be believed and the fight with the Assassin manages to take the previous film's finale's spot as the best fight since Jackie threw down with Ken Lo in Drunken Master 2.

I had to see it twice just so I could believe what I was telling myself. Yes, it deserves the hype and yes, it is one of the best action films ever. Maybe even my favorite.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
So, I've seen it twice and I wanted to take a step back before I said anything. It was fantastic. Morally complex and it's all very Shakespearean, which I enjoyed. There's weight here and Rama has an actual, honest-to-god character arc. All of the violence happens for a reason and has a context and I was impressed with how Evans used his action scenes to not only move the story forward, but they ARE the story. The violence clues us in to who these people are and their respective states-of-mind. Rama, for instance, is noticeably angrier in this one, and it shows in the fight scenes. The ending, in particular, shows a guy who's driven by revenge and has a need to escape back to and protect his family. I was also impressed with how much Iko could tell us with just his eyes. Must be something Evans has caught onto because he uses it to great effect. Uco was another character I was really into. Just pure rage, incarnate.

Oh yeah, and it just kicks ass too. I mean, sweet Jeebus, does this thing move. It's fantastic up to the final hour, and then it cranks things up from 11 to 34. The car chase has to be seen to be believed and the fight with the Assassin manages to take the previous film's finale's spot as the best fight since Jackie threw down with Ken Lo in Drunken Master 2.

I had to see it twice just so I could believe what I was telling myself. Yes, it deserves the hype and yes, it is one of the best action films ever. Maybe even my favorite.

Reading your review was like having a flashback to seeing the film for me. I feel the same way. Before the film I kept saying "I can't wait to see it." Now that I have, it's changed to "Can't wait to see it again." :nerd:

Too bad this movie bombed at the box office. (This is not surprising since my showing was practically empty and the guy at the ticket booth never heard of the movie.) Hopefully it makes a huge profit on bluray.

Got my third viewing in tonight! Surprisingly, the audience was a bit bigger than it was on Sunday, albeit it was at a different theater. Probably about 10-12 other people outside of our group of four.

As for my gf, her consensus? "I didn't hate it" Considering she's not a fan of action films, that's considered high praise coming from her :xd:

Now, to see if I can finally, for the first time in 11 years, see a movie in theaters 4 times :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Now, to see if I can finally, for the first time in 11 years, see a movie in theaters 4 times :tongue:

I did that with Kill Bill Vol. 1. Gonna end up beating that record with this movie easily since I live like 5 mins away from the theater its playing at and I have a job.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
As for my gf, her consensus? "I didn't hate it" Considering she's not a fan of action films, that's considered high praise coming from her :xd:

The ladies can be brutal with their comments about action films, can't they? :tongue:

I just got a huge shock the other night when I showed my wife PACIFIC RIM and she loved it. :smile: I couldn't believe it. It made me so happy. Fortunately she also loved the original THE RAID too. But she has told me during several classic kung fu films that "These are the parts that bore me" referring to... the kung fu scenes! :ooh:

What was the last film?

Drunken Monk

I just got a huge shock the other night when I showed my wife PACIFIC RIM and she loved it. :smile: I couldn't believe it. It made me so happy. Fortunately she also loved the original THE RAID too. But she has told me during several classic kung fu films that "These are the parts that bore me" referring to... the kung fu scenes! :ooh:

My girlfriend loved the original "The Raid" and so, upon leaving the theater after watching the sequel, I giddily turned to her with a massive smile and asked, "Well? Well? What did you think?" Not changing her tone in the slightest, she simply said, "Yeah...I enjoyed it." Nothing more...nothing less. She broke my heart.

She also despises old school kung fu films. "Fist of Legend" is as old as she'll go. I tried putting on "Once Upon a Time in China" and got the whole, "This is silly. Can we turn it off?" thing.

Noelle Shadow Kick
The ladies can be brutal with their comments about action films, can't they? :tongue:

Woah woah woah. Some ladies LOVE action films and....wait, no. Pretty sure I'm not a "lady." :tongue:

And my bf just LOVED Pacific Rim! I was shocked! Hopefully the new Godzilla movie is good too and he'll be a kaiju convert haha.

My girlfriend loved the original "The Raid" and so, upon leaving the theater after watching the sequel, I giddily turned to her with a massive smile and asked, "Well? Well? What did you think?" Not changing her tone in the slightest, she simply said, "Yeah...I enjoyed it." Nothing more...nothing less. She broke my heart.

She also despises old school kung fu films. "Fist of Legend" is as old as she'll go. I tried putting on "Once Upon a Time in China" and got the whole, "This is silly. Can we turn it off?" thing.

My boyfriend really likes Enter the Dragon, but that's about it haha. We've watched Ip Man and then saw SPL at the New York Asian Film Fest with a Q and A from Donnie Yen after, and his response was "I guess I'm not totally sold on the genre, I'll have to see." And in my head I was like "uhh....I think that just means he doesn't like the genre" haha. We watched the first Raid recently and he goes "didn't the reviews say the sequel is MORE brutal? how would that be possible?!" so he didn't come see The Raid 2 with me hahaha.

There's some old Gordon Liu movies playing this weekend in NYC, so I think he might tag along for those but I don't think he's going to fare well with the old movies lol