The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Finally got to see this today.I managed to go in pretty fresh as I only had seen the first teaser trailer that came out some time ago. I purposefuly avoided being spoiled by any critic or too revealing trailers. The first thing that jumps at me is how violent it is! I mean, the fist one was pretty harsh and bloody, but this one takes it to a pretty extreme level. In fact, everything is pretty much cranked up a notch... for better or worse. The better is that there is more of everything, more fights, more stunts, more blood, more colorful bad guys.The car chase scene is awesome, Hammer gril is awesome (I think I'm in love), the final fight is awesome, in short, the whole movie is pretty much awesome. You could hear people in the theater loudly react (a rare thing over here) to the many hard hitting, bone crunshing, gut wrenching moments. The whole thing is pretty much wall to wall action.

But... The worse, is that ther is SO much violence played for shock value that I can't help to wonder if there is not too much... I mean after a while it just kinda started to loose it's edge. The camera work, mostly great, is also a tad too frenetic at time to the point of being a little dizzying. I was at time yelling in my head "Hold the fuching camera still for a second!" It also bugged me a little how late in the game and underused the trio of Hammer girl, Baseball bat man and Cecep Arif Rahman are brought in. This leads to hardly any build up to their confrontation with Rama and I actually had forgotten Hammer girl was in the movie until she finally showed up. But most of all, the worse is also at the same time a quality and a double edged sword as to it is so intense and over the top violent, where do you take it from there?

That being said, I can't hold it against a movie for setting the bar too high and no one here should even hesitate watching this as it's prety safe to say that we already have a winner for 2014. Heck, I can't think of a HK modern movie that can beat it. No doubt that we have a classic of the genre in our hands here.

He actually reminded me of Tak Sakaguchi

I was thinking the same thing. Did Tak really retire because I loved a few of his movies?

I went to see it at lunch time. The fights are crazier than the 1st one! :tongue: More violent, bloody and gory too. Will be hard to top if there's a Raid 3!.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I went to see it at lunch time. The fights are crazier than the 1st one! :tongue: More violent, bloody and gory too. Will be hard to top if there's a Raid 3!.

I was waiting for your reaction. Dude that car fight chase scene, BOOM!!!

This movie just ruined action films for me. The film was like a 5 course meal. You really can't digest it after one show. Everything prior to Hammer girl's introduction were appetizers. The actors were good. The music enhanced each scene especially the fights. The story while nothing new did well to establish the main players, their motivations and the stakes. The action was relentless and I loved how each sequence seemed to build on what occurred before it. It was not without it's flaws. Some of the camera work was a little shaky but not enough to distract you from what was going on. I agree with what some others have said about the sheer amount of violence. Near the end you get a little numb. Was it perfect? No but it didn't need to be. What Gareth Evans and company did was amazing work and hopefully this will lead to them being recognized outside of the genre. I can't wait to see it again.

This movie ruined movies in general for me :xd: Seriously, I'm just not that hyped for anything else this year. Sure, I'll check out the Marvel movies, Expendables 3, and some others... but now I just feel like I can't enjoy anything else after seeing this! Hell, what's the next movie outing I'm planning this week? Oh yeah, Raid 2, third viewing :tongue:

I was thinking the same thing. Did Tak really retire because I loved a few of his movies?

That was what was said, but it was mentioned he will return for Ryuhei Kitamura's VERSUS sequel when he has it off the ground because he credits Kitamura-san for "discovering" him.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Saw this over the weekend. it was great. My gripe is that fucking shakey cam! Also hard to sit for 2 1/2 hrs!

It's an endurance test that's for sure. 2 1/2 hrs didn't feel like it.

lol, I had to use the bathroom, and didn't want to miss a fight lol. Been looking up Yayan Ruhian since seeing the movie, I wanna see more! & Julie Estelle, I'M IN LOVE!!!:)

Thanks AlbertV for the info which I hope is true because they've been talking about a Versus sequel for like 10 years.

To get back on topic and I the only one who finds watching martial arts films in hd truly fascinating? I'm so used to the crummy quality vhs and dvds that seeing high quality martial arts cinematography mixed with good choreography is a real treat. Now the count down begins to when I can buy the blu ray. :cry:

This movie ruined movies in general for me :xd: Seriously, I'm just not that hyped for anything else this year. Sure, I'll check out the Marvel movies, Expendables 3, and some others... but now I just feel like I can't enjoy anything else after seeing this! Hell, what's the next movie outing I'm planning this week? Oh yeah, Raid 2, third viewing :tongue:

I agree with the point you made about Prakoso in your review. If anything his storyline would've been a perfect opportunity to establish how much of a badass The Assassin character was.

Instead of the 1 Vs. many fight we got, I would've preferred a 1 Vs.1 fight between him and Prakoso.

It would've mirrored the Mad Dog Vs. Jaka match up from the first film and further cemented The Assassin as a near unbeatable threat to Rama.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Am I the only one who still prefers the first one?

Yes:tongue: to me the set up and the fight choreography alone is better than the first. Not only that but Iko improved on his kicks. Did anyone notice this? Iko became so much better as a screen fighter.

It will also be my third viewing this week:tongue:

Saw this last night, the last movie I saw in the theater was The Raid lol first I'd like to thank the two young assholes that thought they were going to sit and talk through the entire fucking movie, I finally got up about a quarter through and told them to shut the fuck up - after some bowing up and f u's thrown around I didn't hear a peep - idiots, what happened to common courtesy and sense? This is why I do not go to the theater.

The movie was fantastic, about the same as the first, it met my expectations but did not exceed them, the action was frantic, violent, and brutal, great characters, the movie wasn't bogged down from the length, the shaky cam didn't bother me as much as others, and I didn't see the plot holes people have been talking about.

I did think with the run time some of the characters and plot could of been fleshed out a little more, in a way it reminded me of Ong Bak 2(though Raid 2 has a conclusion), with so much action the story suffers a bit, waves and waves of disposable henchmen, the plot was flimsy at times(the tattoo?), Reza is an important character that barely gets any screen time, the Japanese aren't in it enough, but I'm taking it here is where part 3 is going.

Still a solid action movie that just falls short of a masterpiece, looking forward to part 3.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Saw this last night, the last movie I saw in the theater was The Raid lol first I'd like to thank the two young assholes that thought they were going to sit and talk through the entire fucking movie, I finally got up about a quarter through and told them to shut the fuck up - after some bowing up and f u's thrown around I didn't hear a peep - idiots, what happened to common courtesy and sense? This is why I do not go to the theater.

Damn brother, I'm sorry to hear that. The pass two screenings for me, has been pretty solid. Although I wish more people would attend besides the other 10 that showed up. My first screening was a double feature and it did not disappoint.

I know I’m late in the game, but finally saw Raid 2 last night.

Loved every minute of it. Much MUCH better than the first one. Am I the only one who thinks (SPOILERS)………….. it’s reminiscent of that recent Korean flick New World? I’m mostly talking about the outlined plot (even though none of us know the fate of Iko’s character from the point the movie ends). Also in terms of style, etc. I mean, there are influences floating everywhere from all my favorite movies. Evans is like the Tarantino of action/martial arts.

Damn. Talk about topping one groundbreaking fight scene after the other. The Raid 2 gets better and better as it moves along...

I’ll have to agree with what others have said… this movie might have ruined martial arts and action films to come…

Opium, are you happy now?

OpiumKungFuCracker
I know I’m late in the game, but finally saw Raid 2 last night.

Loved every minute of it. Much MUCH better than the first one. Am I the only one who thinks (SPOILERS)………….. it’s reminiscent of that recent Korean flick New World? I’m mostly talking about the outlined plot (even though none of us know the fate of Iko’s character from the point the movie ends). Also in terms of style, etc. I mean, there are influences floating everywhere from all my favorite movies. Evans is like the Tarantino of action/martial arts.

Damn. Talk about topping one groundbreaking fight scene after the other. The Raid 2 gets better and better as it moves along...

I’ll have to agree with what others have said… this movie might have ruined martial arts and action films to come…

Opium, are you happy now?

excited-black-man-o.gif

Drunken Monk

Rather than feeling as though "The Raid 2" has ruined upcoming martial arts films, I'm desperately hoping filmmakers will see it and think, "Oh shit, we need to do a better job." It needs to have some sort of effect!

sifu iron perm

Stephen King ‏@StephenKing Apr 13

I saw THE RAID 2 yesterday. Especially liked Hammer Girl and Baseball Boy. My kung fu needs have been met for the next 5 years.

:bigsmile:

Rather than feeling as though "The Raid 2" has ruined upcoming martial arts films, I'm desperately hoping filmmakers will see it and think, "Oh shit, we need to do a better job." It needs to have some sort of effect!

It will only have that effect if it makes money. A lot of money.