The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Shaolin Patriot

Saw it here at the Arclight Theater in Los Angeles. Much more complex (story and action) than part 1. Looking forward to seeing it a second time.

Saw the Raid double bill last night :bigsmile

Unbelievable!!!

We did not expect it to top the first (which I rate as one of the best action flicks of all time), but this is insane.

The choreography, camera movements, lighting and music are just flawless.

People are going to be taking about these two films for a long time.

Don't download it, go see it and support the film, it's not just a film, it's an experience you'll never forget.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I could've sworn that when the first trailers hit the tv that they were claiming this was opening nationwide, which would make me think it's going to play everywhere. Yesterday I see a trailer and it now claims it will be showing in select theaters.

Is it me or did the tv spots change up?

(I still don't know yet if it will be showing anywhere in the B'ham area come Friday.:squigglemouth:)

OpiumKungFuCracker
Okay, I could've sworn that when the first trailers hit the tv that they were claiming this was opening nationwide, which would make me think it's going to play everywhere. Yesterday I see a trailer and it now claims it will be showing in select theaters.

Is it me or did the tv spots change up?

(I still don't know yet if it will be showing anywhere in the B'ham area come Friday.:squigglemouth:)

What's your zip, I'll look it up for you?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Edge 12 birmingham 4/11/14

hollywood 18 huntsville 4/11/14

wynnsong 16 mobile 4/11/14

festival plaza 16 montgomery 4/11/14

wharf 15 orange beach 4/11/14

trussville cinema 16 trussville 4/11/14

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Minneapolis, Minnesota.......................................................April 11.

GD Y-Y

ShaOW!linDude

THAT ME, DUDE !!!!!! :nerd: Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker
THAT ME, DUDE !!!!!! :nerd: Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!

Not a problem. Oh and guys? I'll be seeing this Friday double feature with Raid 1, do you want me to wait until MPM74 gives his impressions of the movie first before I do?

Thank you Alamo Drafthouse!!! They are screening The Raid and The Raid 2 back to back tomorrow night and I'm going with some friends and my jujitsu teacher!!! It starts at 10:00 and I have to work the next morning so I'll be tired as hell but it will be totally worth it!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker
Thank you Alamo Drafthouse!!! They are screening The Raid and The Raid 2 back to back tomorrow night and I'm going with some friends and my jujitsu teacher!!! It starts at 10:00 and I have to work the next morning so I'll be tired as hell but it will be totally worth it!!!

Nice. I'm in the same boat, tired as shit in the morning but totally worth it. Oh and uh guys, there's a series of films no one on here has mentioned/referenced yet and that is Sonny Chiba's Street Fighter films? Anyone? Hello?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

City Pages Minneapolis, Minnesota review.

Tomorrow will post The Vitamin review.

The Raid 2.

A grave has been freshly dug in the opening shot of director Gareth Evans's ultra-violent Indonesian flick The Raid 2. It's a start, but Evans is going to need 400 more. In the first few minutes, he dispenses with three-quarters of the survivors of 2012's The Raid: Redemption, the writer-director's brutal mini-epic about a police mission gone wrong, leaving only good-hearted, fleet-fisted husband and father Rama (Iko Uwais) to solve corruption in Jakarta (population 9.6 million, about half of whom the Raid movies estimate are evil).

The city is ruled by two family heads: Bangun (Tio Pakusadewo) and Goto (Ken'ichi Endo), gentleman gangsters who have maintained a decade-long truce. But corrupt cops and upstart mobster Bejo (Alex Abbad), a slithery goon with leather gloves, want bigger pieces of the market. And Rama, secretly embedded as the right-hand man to Bangun's prissy son Uco (Arifin Putra, a clone of young Elvis), is fine killing everyone if it means he can safely return home. People kill with broomsticks, hammers, and baseball bats in restaurants, prison bathrooms, and nightclubs. Five men get their necks sliced with box-cutters for no reason I could fathom, even after the second watch that's probably mandatory for anyone trying to figure out who's murdering who.

At 148 minutes, the film feels both rushed and endless, so laden with double-dealing and intrigue that Evans can't even pause to give characters names. One of the climatic fights is between Rama and, uh, That Guy Who Uses Hooked Knives. Evans is so strong an action director that he could have shaved off 40 minutes and hundreds of victims and wound up with a more effective final cut.

Amy Nicholson

Drunken Monk
City Pages Minneapolis, Minnesota review.

Tomorrow will post The Vitamin review.

The Raid 2.

A grave has been freshly dug in the opening shot of director Gareth Evans's ultra-violent Indonesian flick The Raid 2. It's a start, but Evans is going to need 400 more. In the first few minutes, he dispenses with three-quarters of the survivors of 2012's The Raid: Redemption, the writer-director's brutal mini-epic about a police mission gone wrong, leaving only good-hearted, fleet-fisted husband and father Rama (Iko Uwais) to solve corruption in Jakarta (population 9.6 million, about half of whom the Raid movies estimate are evil).

The city is ruled by two family heads: Bangun (Tio Pakusadewo) and Goto (Ken'ichi Endo), gentleman gangsters who have maintained a decade-long truce. But corrupt cops and upstart mobster Bejo (Alex Abbad), a slithery goon with leather gloves, want bigger pieces of the market. And Rama, secretly embedded as the right-hand man to Bangun's prissy son Uco (Arifin Putra, a clone of young Elvis), is fine killing everyone if it means he can safely return home. People kill with broomsticks, hammers, and baseball bats in restaurants, prison bathrooms, and nightclubs. Five men get their necks sliced with box-cutters for no reason I could fathom, even after the second watch that's probably mandatory for anyone trying to figure out who's murdering who.

At 148 minutes, the film feels both rushed and endless, so laden with double-dealing and intrigue that Evans can't even pause to give characters names. One of the climatic fights is between Rama and, uh, That Guy Who Uses Hooked Knives. Evans is so strong an action director that he could have shaved off 40 minutes and hundreds of victims and wound up with a more effective final cut.

Amy Nicholson

What a terrible review. I thought that the nameless characters in "The Raid 2" existed to provide menace. Who are they? What are their stories? They're characterless because they're living, breathing bad asses. That's all you need to know. They come in, fuck people up and leave. We, as the audience, get to give them our own back stories.

Yes, the film has a lot of violence but that's the point. I don't understand how she couldn't grasp who was being killed and why. It was explained perfectly in the film.

I think she just went in wanting to hate it. Delicate sensibilities, maybe?

OpiumKungFuCracker
What a terrible review. I thought that the nameless characters in "The Raid 2" existed to provide menace. Who are they? What are their stories? They're characterless because they're living, breathing bad asses. That's all you need to know. They come in, fuck people up and leave. We, as the audience, get to give them our own back stories.

Yes, the film has a lot of violence but that's the point. I don't understand how she couldn't grasp who was being killed and why. It was explained perfectly in the film.

I think she just went in wanting to hate it. Delicate sensibilities, maybe?

LOL, right? I don't think this reviewer has once seen any old skool flicks of this genre.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I loved it, Can`t wait for the Bluray.

Makone loved it, yes!!!! Tomorrow's the day, can't freaking wait!!!

Drunken Monk
Not only that.. But this movie is supposed to have a third part. I'm sure a lot of details get answer

Evans has actually said he has back stories for Hammer Girl, Baseball Bat Man, Prakoso and Bejo.

He's also said that the third film will start roughly two hours before the end of the second film and, because of this, these characters won't get their back stories told. Instead, he's considering a comic book that tells their tales.

slow poster
I loved it, Can`t wait for the Bluray.

It comes out today at my local cinema so you know what I'll be doing after work. I've gotta say I'm really hyped for this movie the first Raid is my fav king-fu movie of the past 5 years. I even went so far as to make myself a custom calendar here of all my fav fight scenes from it (something I'll probably replicate if berandal lives up to the hype).

One Armed Boxer

Two read-worthy articles hit the net recently -

Firstly BBC Wales conducted an interview with Evans recently, the most interesting part were he basically confesses to only producing the Hollywood remake in the hopes that the people who watch it will check out his original. I love the way this guy tells it like it is, no fluff. Check it out here -

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26910069

Second up is an interview with Evans posted on Twitch. Very in-depth and full of spoilers, so Id' recommend watching the movie first before reading this one -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/04/interview-gareth-evans-talks-the-raid-2.html

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Star Tribune Minneapolis Review.

GD Y-Y

Home

Entertainment

Movies

'Raid 2' out punches violence-packed original

Article by: COLIN COVERT , Star Tribune

Updated: April 10, 2014 - 2:06 PM

REVIEW: The thrills of the original expand in “The Raid 2,” a kinetic martial-arts crime thriller. | ★★★½ out of 4 stars

hide

Iko Uwais and Cecep Arif Rahman face off in “The Raid 2.” Sony Pictures Classics

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Cameraview larger

comments

decrease font size resize text increase font size

print

buy reprints

Share5 Share via Email

The electrifying 2011 Indonesian martial-arts thriller “The Raid” was a certified action milestone. It told a coherent cops-and-killers story within the confines of a real-time SWAT assault. The story unspooled as Jakarta police fought floor to floor against a hive of villains housed in a 30-story high-rise. The bad guys, and many of the good, were blasted, punched, kicked and mashed off this mortal coil in some of the most creative and crowd-pleasing convolutions imaginable.

The movie’s pleasures were more than sophisticated and lavish violence. It also had moral heft, describing a world in which heroic sacrifice is necessary to protect society, but might not be lastingly effective.

The pleasure quotient is even higher in “The Raid 2.” It’s no carbon copy. Director Gareth Evans and star/action choreographer Iko Uwais work on a broader canvas here. They distribute an enormous amount of chasing and killing over several years and across the whole colorful geography of Jakarta. With its “Godfather”-like gallery of Machiavellian mobsters and vivid supporting characters, it charts the fall of a crime dynasty.

Rookie cop Rama (Uwais), the sparkplug of the earlier film’s assault, avoids mob retaliation on his family by going undercover in prison. There, his superior officer assures him, Rama can win the trust of the mob kingpin’s incarcerated son (Arifin Putra) and enter his inner circle, bringing down the family from the inside.

The film follows Rama’s disillusionment as he realizes his handlers are less trustworthy than he believed. Along the way it enumerates the myriad kinds of trauma that can be inflicted on the human form, each presented in a way that makes everyone in the theater go “Ewwww!” at once. Uwais tempers his lithe, Bruce Lee physicality with dramatic gravitas, especially in his scenes with graying gang lord Tio Pakusadewo.

Evans uses his sprawling 150-minute run time to give us breathers between shootouts, providing the audience a chance to reflect and perhaps realize that we should resist the visceral pleasure that screen violence can generate.

Yet the film never stints on kinetic, carefully choreographed mayhem, from a mud-drenched prison-yard riot to a next-level car chase that sets a new standard for automotive assault and battery.

There are misjudgments here, such as the extended subplot about the troubled life of a hobo assassin (Yayan Ruhian, who confusingly played a different character in the original “Raid”). There are odd moments of poetic surrealism, such as a death that occurs when the tropical metropolis is blanketed in snow. There are inspired touches as well. Julie Estelle’s “Hammer Girl” is a totally superfluous added character, but one that deserves her own action figure. And perhaps a line of claw hammers at Ace Hardware. “The Raid 2” succeeds in its main mission, kicking a prodigious amount of butt, including the viewers’.

Just watched this. All I can say is that all the superlatives being put on The Raid 2 are not enough. I have never had a cinema experience like it. The action sequences start off slow (well as slow as you can get in The Raid!) and are a mere taster of what is to come. However, the characters are what propels the story forward and they are so well written that when a fight scene does occur, it has much more impact. Despite the fact that this is preaching to the converted, this is a film that has to be seen.

Noelle Shadow Kick
Two read-worthy articles hit the net recently -

Firstly BBC Wales conducted an interview with Evans recently, the most interesting part were he basically confesses to only producing the Hollywood remake in the hopes that the people who watch it will check out his original. I love the way this guy tells it like it is, no fluff. Check it out here -

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26910069

Second up is an interview with Evans posted on Twitch. Very in-depth and full of spoilers, so Id' recommend watching the movie first before reading this one -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/04/interview-gareth-evans-talks-the-raid-2.html

These are great, thanks for sharing!

Everyone should check out that Twitch interview after seeing the movie. Fascinating.

Words cannot express how amazing seeing this movie back to back with The Raid was.

As for the movie itself..........WOW!! The greatest action movie my eyes have ever seen!!

OpiumKungFuCracker
Just watched this. All I can say is that all the superlatives being put on The Raid 2 are not enough. I have never had a cinema experience like it. The action sequences start off slow (well as slow as you can get in The Raid!) and are a mere taster of what is to come. However, the characters are what propels the story forward and they are so well written that when a fight scene does occur, it has much more impact. Despite the fact that this is preaching to the converted, this is a film that has to be seen.

SamSeed Praised it. Okay that's it, I'm heading to the cinemas now!