The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

4 million?! That is absolutely incredible. It has the scale of a 30 million dollar film.

At least! I think it probably has a lot to do with far less restrictions in Indonesia as opposed to US filming, as well as cheaper permits and crew, etc. While all of these reviews say "Oh, I can't wait to see what Evans can do with a Hollywood budget!", they need to realize how overblown and wasteful Hollywood money can be!

But, he'll still dazzle regardless, I'm sure :tongue:

4 million?! That is absolutely incredible. It has the scale of a 30 million dollar film.

In this day and age of over priced Hollywood movies $30 million is the paycheck for a A list star. Up until not even a decade ago top start in Korea were getting paid $300,000 for a movie. The Korean chick on Lost was making more than that per episode by seasons 3/4.

And as mentioned the cost associated with making a movie in another country varies greatly from Hollywood. Non-union, not as much safety precautions or insurance, etc.

Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War was filmed for $12.8 million.

In this day and age of over priced Hollywood movies $30 million is the paycheck for a A list star. Up until not even a decade ago top start in Korea were getting paid $300,000 for a movie. The Korean chick on Lost was making more than that per episode by seasons 3/4.

And as mentioned the cost associated with making a movie in another country varies greatly from Hollywood. Non-union, not as much safety precautions or insurance, etc.

Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War was filmed for $12.8 million.

^^^All of this :tongue: Yeah, here in "'Murica", we seem to toss money around for movies left and right, then wonder why many of them "bomb" at the box office.

Meanwhile, the official music score for the film has appeared on iTunes... even without seeing the film, I bought said score :xd: The track "Showdown" is most likely the fight between Rama and "The Assassin", and the final three minutes of the seven minute long track is pretty damn intense. The first half is still pretty strong, but you can almost feel the intensity and sheer desperation of the fighters in those last three minutes.

OpiumKungFuCracker
^^^All of this :tongue: Yeah, here in "'Murica", we seem to toss money around for movies left and right, then wonder why many of them "bomb" at the box office.

Meanwhile, the official music score for the film has appeared on iTunes... even without seeing the film, I bought said score :xd: The track "Showdown" is most likely the fight between Rama and "The Assassin", and the final three minutes of the seven minute long track is pretty damn intense. The first half is still pretty strong, but you can almost feel the intensity and sheer desperation of the fighters in those last three minutes.

I kinda hate when movies do merchandising even before the movie even hit theaters yet. I end up shilling all this money on music and books when I really want to spend all my money on the movie itself. With that said, I'm buying it on itunes.

OpiumKungFuCracker

For those that bought the OST and yet to see the film, try to not wear yourself out by listening to it repeatedly or on a loop because by the time you see the movie, the score that you've listen to a dozen times isn't going to be quite effective or emotional. It will get tiresome.

Noelle Shadow Kick

Hey guys, so I'm in NYC and I want to see this movie this weekend, but I still can't find tickets on sale. Gareth Evans tweeted the theaters that are showing it this weekend but they don't have the movie listed. Anyone else having this problem? :squigglemouth:

Drunken Monk
Hey guys, so I'm in NYC and I want to see this movie this weekend, but I still can't find tickets on sale. Gareth Evans tweeted the theaters that are showing it this weekend but they don't have the movie listed. Anyone else having this problem? :squigglemouth:

Kind of. The Landmark E Street cinema in DC is, according to Evans, showing the film starting April 4th but they still don't have it on their schedule and even said they don't know anything about it on their Facebook page.

odioustrident

A lot of chain theaters don't list ticket availability until the day before... At least the specific theaters that are showing this movie in NY.

ARGH!!!!!!!! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Sorry that me upset that I have to wait to see this movie!!!

This is my most anticpated movie of the year and I'm beyond excited to see this!!

For those that bought the OST and yet to see the film, try to not wear yourself out by listening to it repeatedly or on a loop because by the time you see the movie, the score that you've listen to a dozen times isn't going to be quite effective or emotional. It will get tiresome.

I thought the same, but usually when I become familiar with a music cue before seeing the film in theaters, by the time I actually see it in the scene, I get goosebumps :tongue: However, I think I'll stop listening a week before I see it :wink:

Kind of. The Landmark E Street cinema in DC is, according to Evans, showing the film starting April 4th but they still don't have it on their schedule and even said they don't know anything about it on their Facebook page.

I noticed the same thing with the schedule, but thankfully it appears on the "films" link, near the end of the page, explicitly saying "Starts Friday, April 4 at the E Street Cinema". Here's the page:

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/WashingtonDC/WashingtonDC_Frameset.htm

Although it is annoying that they didn't do a pinch of research for the Facebook page before basically shrugging their shoulders. Hopefully by early next week we'll see the showtimes pop up.

ShaOW!linDude

Killer review, OAB. Just sitting on my hands until April 11th. SIGH. Yep, just sitting on my hands.

One Armed Boxer
Killer review, OAB. Just sitting on my hands until April 11th. SIGH. Yep, just sitting on my hands.

Cheers ShaOW!linDude! Good things come to those who wait, but in the meantime, Twitch have posted a pretty impressive deleted scene, which gives you a small taste of what to expect -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/03/its-a-gang-war-in-lengthy-the-raid-2-deleted-scene.html

All righty, for those who've already seen the movie AND watched the deleted scene... where exactly would that scene fit? Having not seen the movie myself (fingers crossed for next weekend at E Street!), my friend and I are predicting... he thinks it was meant to be a cold opening, while I think it would have to be later in the film, as all I've read has implied that the Indonesians and Japanese have more of a peaceful "cold war" between the gangs, until Bejo comes along and throws in the monkey wrench.

One Armed Boxer
All righty, for those who've already seen the movie AND watched the deleted scene... where exactly would that scene fit? Having not seen the movie myself (fingers crossed for next weekend at E Street!), my friend and I are predicting... he thinks it was meant to be a cold opening, while I think it would have to be later in the film, as all I've read has implied that the Indonesians and Japanese have more of a peaceful "cold war" between the gangs, until Bejo comes along and throws in the monkey wrench.

It takes place during the course of the movie, not at the beginning. You can actually see were the scene has been removed from, as part of the mask performers in the street is still in there.

A great interview with Iko Uwais & Julie Estelle has just been posted by Twitch, check it out here -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/03/the-raid-2-invades-new-york-interviews-with-iko-uwais-and-julie-estelle.html

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/this-scene-from-the-raid-2-berandal-is-bad-ass-but-isnt-in-the-movie/

A DELETED SCENE FROM THE MOVIE.. THIS WILL NOT BE IN THE MOVIE SO ITS SAFE TO WATCH.. BUT MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS

Gareth Evans talked about the difficulty of cutting the scene:

"This was probably the hardest for me to cut due to the fact that the production on this scene lasted around six days of shooting, it cost us a f**k load to make and it served to escalate the gang war out onto the streets involving people outside of the closed off intergang politics.

At the end of the day though, after discussing its worth it took us away from the central theme for a little too long with characters that would only exist in this scene alone."

so i stand corrected this should not have any spoilers in it

Jeez, that deleted scene... I love this guy. You can see everybody from Woo to Peckinpah and Leone in there. He's a student of the masters.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
My pleasure, was nothing. Absolutely concur with your review. Not sure I want to say it is the greatest action film ever made, but I honestly can't think of one that tops it.

Yeah, cheers for hooking up a fellow forum member (and friend). :bigsmile:

ARGH!!!!!!!! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Sorry that me upset that I have to wait to see this movie!!!

This is my most anticpated movie of the year and I'm beyond excited to see this!!

I am with you brother! I noticed that you are so upset that you went into "Captain Caveman speech mode"! (re-read your first sentence) LOL :tongue:

Fellow forum member mpm74 asked me if I wouldn't mind writing a review for his very cool site cityonfire. Of course, I was more than happy to oblige, so if anyone wants to check it out you can read it here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-raid-2-berandal-2014-review/

Well done man! And good on mpm74 for asking and for rocking a cool site too. :nerd:

Careful- if your hands go numb you won't be able to purchase tickets! :ooh: Oh wait, I'm talking to a skilled martial artist. I'm sure for THE RAID 2 you'd be willing to use your toes to "hand" the ticket person your cash. :wink:

Cheers ShaOW!linDude! Good things come to those who wait, but in the meantime, Twitch have posted a pretty impressive deleted scene, which gives you a small taste of what to expect -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/03/its-a-gang-war-in-lengthy-the-raid-2-deleted-scene.html

So tempted to look. But... NO! I will wait to watch it until after I see the film. I've avoided most trailers and clips. I want to go in to this film without all that shit already floating around in my mind.

Got my tickets for Saturday!!

Ah, you lucky lady! Hope you have a great time, and please let us know what you think of it afterwards.

Yes brother Bob I'm glad you caught my caveman speech!!! :wink:

I also agree with you I am BEYOND tempted to watch the deleted scene, but I must wait to see the movie before I can watch the scene.

Noelle Shadow Kick
Ah, you lucky lady! Hope you have a great time, and please let us know what you think of it afterwards.

You know I will haha!

Also ugh I kept trying to not watch the released footage but I've been caving. I managed to stay away from everything before seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier and I'm so glad I did, but I have shown less restraint with The Raid 2 hahaha