The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

BLfan

Brilliant stuff mate.

Thanks... I tried to take all I learned from watching the 70s indie/Taiwanese MA films and how badly mucked up those prints would get :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

I haven't been to the movies in a long ass time, and I'm not talking about special engagements that Alamo drafthouse throws in every week with their signature events. Nope, speaking specifically new releases of movies and that movie would be the Robocop remake which left a sour puss taste in my mouth.

I haven't been to the movies in a long ass time, and I'm not talking about special engagements that Alamo drafthouse throws in every week with their signature events. Nope, speaking specifically new releases of movies and that movie would be the Robocop remake which left a sour puss taste in my mouth.

I don't often go to DC unless it's something I REALLY want to see, either because it's not wide release yet or no one else will play it... DC is just a pain to travel around! Although I went this past Thursday to see Captain America 2 a couple of weeks early :xd:

My friend and I do an online web review series, so we definitely plan on doing The Raid 2 if we're seeing it on the 4th.

Sydney people, if you want a ticket to tonight's premiere, let me know asap! There are a few tickets floating around, but they're gonna go quick! PM me.

One Armed Boxer

An epic thank you to Assante, it looks like I'll be heading to the Sydney premiere event tonight thanks to the kindness of this forum members heads up on the tickets! Shall post my thoughts later tonight...

One Armed Boxer

Ok....90 minutes, a couple of beers, & a plate of Korean chicken later....I think I just about have my breath back to be able to type some kind of cohesive response to the movie.

First of all, let it be said that this movie is a 100% different beast from 'The Raid'. In fact those who are going in with the hopes of a relentless thrill ride may actually be disappointed with what's on offer, as 'The Raid 2' weighs in at just shy of 150 minutes.

90 minutes in, which is almost the same length as the original, and there's still no sign of the much hyped Hammer Girl & Baseball Bat Man. So you may be thinking what exactly is the time spent on? Thankfully it's not wasted, as director Gareth Evans has woven a gangster yarn which is every bit as epic in scope as other reviews so far have hinted at. For an hour and a half characters are established, and often disposed of in brutal fashion, as we get pulled into a world which makes the building from the original seem like a mere drip in the ocean. But it's far from the thundering locomotive pace that the original moved at, instead Evans let's things develop, allowing a fully realized world to be created.

Rama is no longer just the rookie cop character, surviving on his fighting skills and instinct. 'The Raid 2' develops him into a character who has motives, conflicts, and very real fears, he's someone we can relate to in a very human way. The story unfolds gradually, and is punctuated by sudden bursts of violence which serve to forward the story, compared to the setpiece style setup of the original (which I should put out is not in any way a complaint). A huge prison yard brawl, a desperate restaurant scuffle, a warehouse shakedown, and several other skirmishes weave themselves seamlessly into a tale of jealousy and revenge.

Then, at almost bang on the 90 minute mark, the events which have been slowly boiling up to the surface come to a head, and the movie explodes into what comes close to an hour of almost relentless action and tension. Hammer Girl & Baseball Bat Man arrive and will leave your jaw on the floor, Bruce Law makes the car chase scene he created for 'Special ID' seem like a snooze fest, there are more cringe worthy wince inducing facial impacts than you can shake a stick at, and above all else, there is some of the most finely choreographed fight scenes you're likely to see this side of the millennium.

The level of violence is through the roof, but it's more than matched by the quality of the story. Evans throws in subtle references to a variety of genres and people he obviously respects - there're grin inducing nods of the head to Korean gangster classics, the Nikkatsu movies of the 60's, Panna Rittikrai, Donnie Yen, John Woo, the Godfather, Brian De Palma, in one scene I'd even say David Lynch. But the references are never overt, they're just onscreen enough to make you appreciate them.

It seems almost needless to comment on the action, there's simply so much of it, so I'll just say that there shouldn't be one person on here who feels it's over-hyped. Even when this thread is another 10 pages long from this page of people praising it, my hope is that not one person goes into this and feels like the hype isn't worth it. It is. From the brawls that take up the first half of the movie, which features camera work which is as frantic as action, and may actually be a negative for some, but even those people should be placated by what comes in the second half, as the fights becomes more personal so does the camera, following moves and becoming just as important as the people performing them.

& what performers they are, everyone in this movie brings the action and brings it hard. Iko here serves as part of an ensemble of action players for the most part, until the end when he goes on the inevitable rampage, but there's nothing inevitable about the way it plays out. The moves, speed, and level of choreography on display is through the roof. All in all, I'll probably be back in the cinema to watch this on Friday when it goes on nationwide release!

A few notes about the screening, which was held by Empire magazine Australia -

This is the first time I've watched an exclusive screening of a martial arts movie, and the fact that everyone obviously really wanted to be there meant it had an awesome atmosphere, with the audience breaking into applause after almost every action scene which takes place in the final hour, and rightfully so!

Had to laugh at one guy, who clearly enjoyed the free beer & champagne which was being served before the screening a little more than he should have, resulting in his snoring torso being lifted out of the cinema by the security guards around the 1 hour mark.

The finale of the fight with Rama vs Baseball Bat Man drew the biggest "Whoa!" from everyone, including me, I'm sure future screening will also have the same reaction!

OpiumKungFuCracker

I kinda knew that the 2nd film would be its stand alone movie but my question to you is, does this crime tale hold up against other Asian movies in this category? Is this as good as SPL? It doesn't have to be relentlessness action in order for me to enjoy it as much as the first one. I just hope that it's as good as the other Asian crime movies.

I kinda knew that the 2nd film would be its stand alone movie but my question to you is, does this crime tale hold up against other Asian movies in this category? Is this as good as SPL? It doesn't have to be relentlessness action in order for me to enjoy it as much as the first one. I just hope that it's as good as the other Asian crime movies.

My thoughts exactly. We know the martial arts will be genre defining. And Gareth's skills are impeccable. But to have so many hommages spanning so much of Asian Cinema - Japanese, Korean, Chinese - to me if THIS is done right, it will be the best action movie ever.

OpiumKungFuCracker
My thoughts exactly. We know the martial arts will be genre defining. And Gareth's skills are impeccable. But to have so many hommages spanning so much of Asian Cinema - Japanese, Korean, Chinese - to me if THIS is done right, it will be the best action movie ever.

Absolutely, I'm just thirsty for a bad ass Asian crime film. Damn you April 11th!!!!

ShaOW!linDude
Sydney people, if you want a ticket to tonight's premiere, let me know asap! There are a few tickets floating around, but they're gonna go quick! PM me.

An epic thank you to Assante, it looks like I'll be heading to the Sydney premiere event tonight thanks to the kindness of this forum members heads up on the tickets! Shall post my thoughts later tonight...

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT: 2 FORUM BROS HELPING ONE ANOTHER OUT!!!!!:bigsmile:

Nice review, OAB, and I know you weren't talking about me in that.

Ok....90 minutes, a couple of beers, & a plate of Korean chicken later....I think I just about have my breath back to be able to type some kind of cohesive response to the movie.

First of all, let it be said that this movie is a 100% different beast from 'The Raid'. In fact those who are going in with the hopes of a relentless thrill ride may actually be disappointed with what's on offer, as 'The Raid 2' weighs in at just shy of 150 minutes.

90 minutes in, which is almost the same length as the original, and there's still no sign of the much hyped Hammer Girl & Baseball Bat Man. So you may be thinking what exactly is the time spent on? Thankfully it's not wasted, as director Gareth Evans has woven a gangster yarn which is every bit as epic in scope as other reviews so far have hinted at. For an hour and a half characters are established, and often disposed of in brutal fashion, as we get pulled into a world which makes the building from the original seem like a mere drip in the ocean. But it's far from the thundering locomotive pace that the original moved at, instead Evans let's things develop, allowing a fully realized world to be created.

Rama is no longer just the rookie cop character, surviving on his fighting skills and instinct. 'The Raid 2' develops him into a character who has motives, conflicts, and very real fears, he's someone we can relate to in a very human way. The story unfolds gradually, and is punctuated by sudden bursts of violence which serve to forward the story, compared to the setpiece style setup of the original (which I should put out is not in any way a complaint). A huge prison yard brawl, a desperate restaurant scuffle, a warehouse shakedown, and several other skirmishes weave themselves seamlessly into a tale of jealousy and revenge.

Then, at almost bang on the 90 minute mark, the events which have been slowly boiling up to the surface come to a head, and the movie explodes into what comes close to an hour of almost relentless action and tension. Hammer Girl & Baseball Bat Man arrive and will leave your jaw on the floor, Bruce Law makes the car chase scene he created for 'Special ID' seem like a snooze fest, there are more cringe worthy wince inducing facial impacts than you can shake a stick at, and above all else, there is some of the most finely choreographed fight scenes you're likely to see this side of the millennium.

The level of violence is through the roof, but it's more than matched by the quality of the story. Evans throws in subtle references to a variety of genres and people he obviously respects - there're grin inducing nods of the head to Korean gangster classics, the Nikkatsu movies of the 60's, Panna Rittikrai, Donnie Yen, John Woo, the Godfather, Brian De Palma, in one scene I'd even say David Lynch. But the references are never overt, they're just onscreen enough to make you appreciate them.

It seems almost needless to comment on the action, there's simply so much of it, so I'll just say that there shouldn't be one person on here who feels it's over-hyped. Even when this thread is another 10 pages long from this page of people praising it, my hope is that not one person goes into this and feels like the hype isn't worth it. It is. From the brawls that take up the first half of the movie, which features camera work which is as frantic as action, and may actually be a negative for some, but even those people should be placated by what comes in the second half, as the fights becomes more personal so does the camera, following moves and becoming just as important as the people performing them.

& what performers they are, everyone in this movie brings the action and brings it hard. Iko here serves as part of an ensemble of action players for the most part, until the end when he goes on the inevitable rampage, but there's nothing inevitable about the way it plays out. The moves, speed, and level of choreography on display is through the roof. All in all, I'll probably be back in the cinema to watch this on Friday when it goes on nationwide release!

This is the first time I've watched an exclusive screening of a martial arts movie, and the fact that everyone obviously really wanted to be there meant it had an awesome atmosphere, with the audience breaking into applause after almost every action scene which takes place in the final hour, and rightfully so!

Had to laugh at one guy, who clearly enjoyed the free beer & champagne which was being served before the screening a little more than he should have, resulting in his snoring torso being lifted out of the cinema by the security guards around the 1 hour mark.

The finale of the fight with Rama vs Baseball Bat Man drew the biggest "Whoa!" from everyone, including me, I'm sure future screening will also have the same reaction!

Great review, man! Looking forward to see what the hype is all about. :biggrin:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Fantastic review One Armed Boxer! :bigsmile:

I did not think it was possible to be more excited for this film than I already was. But I definitely am! :nerd:

Cheers to Assante!

OpiumKungFuCracker

For those that have seen it, can you guys tell me if the Kitchen Fight is as intense as this clip I'm about to show you?

YJkaEOpYd28

What I want to know is... should we look for any similarities between these two "hand-to-hand-turned-knife-fight" battles? :tongue:

BBR2combo.jpg

What I want to know is... should we look for any similarities between these two "hand-to-hand-turned-knife-fight" battles? :tongue:

BBR2combo.jpg

What you talkin' bout Willis?

oldraid.jpg

Awwww shit. I've gone from a 12 in excitement to a 15.

I think what gets us all hyped more than anything else is reading each other's reviews, as opposed to reviews coming from the outside.

It is comparable to other Asian crime movies.

But I don't know whether some clue can be caught cross-cultural boundary.

If you want to see it, it is better to take Uco story as the main plot because just like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was more about Jen than Li Mu Bai, The Raid 2 was more about Uco.

'Berandal' itself, while most of the publication said it means 'thug', can also (and actually usually) mean 'a brat or a naughty boy or a rascal'.

There will be some sarcasm and reference about high-class and low-class which I am not sure foreign audience will get it.

Try to avoid spoiler here but I colored the references with white color anyway so you can't easily read it. (does this forum have 'spoiler tag'?)

1. Prakoso was more than a hitman/assasin. He was a loyal servant. He called Uco as 'Mas', a honorary title which mean he treat Uco as prince;

2. "semua bisa diatur" (everything can be arranged [to meet our needs])

It's an Indonesian word. Usually to comfort other people that all things can be taken care of. When a foreigner, e.g. a Japanese said it, it was more like an insult;

3. "Jongos" (lowest servant)

I don't know how this will be translated in English subtitled. But when you hear this word, it means the one being addressed was considered as the lowest of the low class;

4. Bejo

Literally means luck. In Indonesian story, the character who used the name Bejo usually came from lowly class;

One Armed Boxer

Easily as good as 'SPL'. It's difficult to make comparisons that really do it justice, but imagine a sprawling Korean gangster epic like 'A Dirty Carnival' or 'New World', then throw in some of the most bone crunching action you've ever seen, and you can get a sense of what you're in for.

Is it your favorite film of the year?

So far!

(does this forum have 'spoiler tag'?)

Best just to write 'SPOILERS AHEAD'....increase the font size, bold it, and colour it red!

My pleasure, was nothing. Absolutely concur with your review. Not sure I want to say it is the greatest action film ever made, but I honestly can't think of one that tops it.

The action and violence is extremely visceral and incredibly put together. As a story it plays like a Takeshi Kitano film with South Korean styling. Actually, everything Winding-Refn got wrong with Only God Forgives (which was everything), Evans gets oh so perfect. In respects to SPL, which I love, I think this film is on a whole other level. The only other film I can compare it to is The Raid, and it's that times about a hundred.

The fight scenes get progressively better as the film goes on which is impressive as the first one is extraordinary. I can't think of any fight scene I have ever watched where I have been genuinely concerned the protagonist was going to die at any second, such is the case during every fight scene in this. The choreography is so tight that you literally can't establish how or when each fight is going to conclude or when, particularly the final fight scene, which felt to me like I was watching two angry tigers fighting to the death. The other standouts, as mentioned, were Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat guy... serious, serious violence.

All that said, there is plenty of humor to be found, as well as one of the most touching moments I've ever seen in a film of this nature, which I won't spoil suffice to say it involves a phone. I honestly believe The Raid 2 is the new benchmark in action cinema and is as cutting edge as Gravity was in respects to tentpole studio films. I have no idea what Gareth Evan's budget was for this, but coming from the industry myself, I got the distinct impression every cent was put towards what the audience would ultimately see on screen. Mad respect!

If I had to find some negatives, I'd say some of the acting was slightly off point at times and the story could have used a polish or three to tighten it up because it is a long film and the plot does get somewhat confusing and slightly convoluted at times. Not that you'll care by the time the action kicks up again. I can't wait to see what Evan's can do with an even bigger budget because The Raid 2 is an incredible achievement.

What I really want to know is how many Indonesian's died during the making of this film?!

I have no idea what Gareth Evan's budget was for this, but coming from the industry myself, I got the distinct impression every cent was put towards what the audience would ultimately see on screen. Mad respect!

What I've read online has put the film's budget at around $4 million, just shy of four times the budget of the original. Yet it looks MUCH more expensive from the trailers alone!

What I've read online has put the film's budget at around $4 million, just shy of four times the budget of the original. Yet it looks MUCH more expensive from the trailers alone!

4 million?! That is absolutely incredible. It has the scale of a 30 million dollar film.