Why do Eng Dubs make some movies 100 times better?

Sandpalm79

i know this isnt true in all cases just curious on some peoples opinions. for me if ive never seen the movie, i think it doesnt matter to much. but for a movie i know the dub, like kid with the golden arm, i couldnt even watch the ivl. it was so dry and boring. and now i got the dubber version ive watched it almost every night!!! seems like a completely different movie.. anyone else experience this?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup, most of the film are very comical in a sense, Dubbed version is a great boost to the comedic side.

For example, my current favorite: "I'm gonna suck you dry" at 3:00

D-1Ag0HmVts

Killer Meteor

For me, I find the Chinese versions to be just as badly dubbed but without the camp value. Watching your average Shaw, i find the actors are all dubbed with stiff, unsuitable voices that sound like someone trying to read a script and being way too old for the character (there's no way Phillip Kwok talks like that!)

So I don't feel guilty watching some of them in English, i'll take funk over dull any day.

Fang Shih-yu
For me, I find the Chinese versions to be just as badly dubbed but without the camp value. Watching your average Shaw, i find the actors are all dubbed with stiff, unsuitable voices that sound like someone trying to read a script and being way too old for the character (there's no way Phillip Kwok talks like that!)

So I don't feel guilty watching some of them in English, i'll take funk over dull any day.

For some movies, the Chinese dubs are on a par with their English dubs; The Kiss of Death from Shaw is a rare one where the dialogue is campy on both language tracks!:tongue: Once I found myself figuring out the complexity of how any given actor in a movie role was paired off with one out of a small group of voiceover artists --doing English, Mandarin or Cantonese, mind you-- it's amazing to realize how there are MANY people who like the SAME [given] movie in different tongues! (What if Shaw shot with sound? What if every role that, say, Fu Sheng did had his OWN voice? Would this affect how we enjoy his roles in Heroes Two or The Deadly Breaking Sword, the latter one which has him dubbed [in Mandarin] by the "Phillip Kwok" voice? Questions that boggle the mind!:eek:) Dubbing issues were handled differently, way back when, particularly in Hollywood; anyone ever read of how they [in the early days of "talkies] used to shoot [select] foreign language versions of certain English movies concurrently? Those who know of the 1931 version of Dracula and its Spanish:27: counterpart know what I mean!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

It's all in the TRANSLATIONS. Most important. IVL did not care about it as they banged out they're huge catalogue of Shaws films. They sometimes did an alright job, but still then!!!

as most people here know, i love the dubs. i agree in most cases they make the movie so much more enjoyable.WHY ? you ask. i don't really know--its hard to put into words. obviously its easier to listen to the movie than reading it---but still its more than that. the dubbed voices really lift the excitement and emotional level, i think. the voices are over the top--loud as if you were trying to stir up a crowd or make a rousing speech. sometimes its like watching a comic book adventure or something along that nature. to this very day when i show someone an old school dubbed kung fu movie they react the same exact way people did 20 or 30 years ago--i mean they look over at me at the same lines etc--they grin, smirk sometimes laugh and always repeat the lines for days--you know the lines-there are so many--but still--well my friend--then--now your gonna die--butterfly--you've come to the end of the road-- and just like always they either like the movies or think their stupid. also to this very day--i have not met even one person who will watch these movies without the dubs--no matter how much i try to convince them that some of them are really good--its just no way. even when i show them real good fight scenes etc they will not watch the actual movie if they have to read the subs for the entire movie . they always say the same thing--good fight scenes--to bad there wasn't a dubbed version. i guess the best way to put it is this---the dubs make the movie come alive--at least for me they do and obviously they do for other people as well.:tongue:

Fang Shih-yu
It's all in the TRANSLATIONS. Most important. IVL did not care about it as they banged out they're huge catalogue of Shaws films. They sometimes did an alright job, but still then!!!

Interesting observation! From what I've gotten of IVL DVDs, so far, there are random cases of omitted letters, misspellings, bad grammar, and instances where someone is speaking plain English, yet the translation doesn't exactly match their words! Aren't all these IVLs new translations, as opposed to rewriting the copy of the original, "burned-in" subs we've seen on old prints and trailers? That certainly is another complication!... Then, there is the English translations on US DVDs vs. the ones on the IVLs! On the two versions of The Deadly Breaking Sword I have, parts of the IVL subs read better more than the Image subs given to particular scenes, and sometimes, it's the other way around! There will never be definitive translations for these movies to please the subs readers! No wonder I'll usually listen to an English dub on a Shaw movie after I'm back home from a LONG day, and I'm too tired to read!:tongue: Does anyone know how the IVL subs for The Heroic Ones compare to Well Go USA's release, which was bad on the DVD and NOT changed for the BD?

Killer Meteor
IAren't all these IVLs new translations, as opposed to rewriting the copy of the original, "burned-in" subs we've seen on old prints and trailers? That certainly is another complication!...

Yes, and the theatrical subs for Shaws I've seen are much better English and grammar then on the DVDs.

Fang Shih-yu
Yes, and the theatrical subs for Shaws I've seen are much better English and grammar then on the DVDs.

One would've thought Celestial might have needed to reference old subtitles to given movies to make sure the newer translations were on an even keel with the earlier ones!... What does anyone here think of Dragon Dynasy's new English dub for Come Drink with Me? I feel it took away a lot of the unique vibe I felt from hearing the sound of the Mandarin as I read the subs, and all that the English did was turn the movie into a conventional action picture!:tongue:

I love dubs. Why? Because when I was growing up, and had my first exposure to kung fu flicks on TV, kung fu theatre, etc.... well.. the dubs are what i heard. It is like reliving the past. Brings back memories!!

Generally I prefer the original language with subs if done well but there are certain movies that will never be the same for me without the dub and these are:

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

7 Grand Masters

Snake Crane Secret

The Magnificent Three.............&

Challenge Of The Tiger.

One of my favourite original language films is The Magic Ring ( Mandarin Version )

This was so enjoyable that the dialogue delivery itself felt " choreographed " :wink:

sifu iron perm

i love dubs, the old skool comedy slapstick, cant go wrong with that!

The modern dubbing of the old films are just horrible..

My dvd version of abott white is awful..is there an old dubbing version available?

snake in teh eagle shadow is classic with the dub and soundtrack mixed in...

my favs is Young maste..(sings)"your kung fu is not very good.." (sings)

BATTLE AXE 45

I also love dubs. Don't get me wrong Ilike subs too but most of the movies I grew up on were dubbed in English.Only the ones I saw in New Yorks Chinatown were subbed.Most of the dubbed movies if you seen them as much as I have you could practically recite the dialog because there were so many memorable lines.

Fang Shih-yu

ZoSo, who's your profile picture, and what movie is it from? I like it!:15_002: @Kwok Choi: As with The Magic Ring, it could also be said that the Mandarin usage in Come Drink with Me was equally thought through, such was the genius of director King Hu!

who's your profile picture, and what movie is it from? I like it!:15_002:

I'm not too sure but ZoSo's avatar/profilepicture looks like Kam Kong in Shaolin Wooden Men aka Shaolin Chamber Of Death

:wink:

I love dubs also, makes a lot of films easier to watch for me as I don't speak Cantonese/Mandarin.

Even if they're cheesy/corny, it's still entertaining,IMO.

Fang Shih-yu
I love dubs also, makes a lot of films easier to watch for me as I don't speak Cantonese/Mandarin.

Even if they're cheesy/corny, it's still entertaining,IMO.

Some of the funniest English dubs I've sat through always features some voices that DON'T match well with the on-screen characters! All the fun in the English dub of Heroes Two is the fact the voices for Chen Kuan Tai and Fu Sheng are just that! If they were switched, the voices would be better fitting, but it wouldn't be as much FUN!:tongue:

I'm definitely an original-language guy here. That said, after I have seen the original language version it's quite nice to have a second language track to check out. Like 2 movies in one.

Fang Shih-yu
Like 2 movies in one.

I can agree with that!... Now, how many of us have watched our favorite English-speaking movies, but did it while listening to any of the foreign language tracks, with (or without) subs? Sometimes, these can be as much as fun as English dubs are for your fave martial arts classics, and the tackier the movie, the better an alternative dub may be!... You haven't LIVED until you've watched Walking Tall (the Joe Don Baker original) with the Spanish soundtrack and subs! It'll BLOW your mind, drunk or sober!:yociexpress01:

wow! that's incredible!! I have Walking Tall .. wonder if my DVD has Spanish subs. Drinking game !!!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue::wink::tongue:

Fang Shih-yu

bratty.... My copy of Walking Tall is the 2007 reissue, in case your copy happens to not have a Spanish track. Also fun to watch is any Superfriends DVD with the Spanish on! The same goes for the Isis TV show box set! Now those are DUBS!:wink:

yup I have that same Walking Tall. One of these days I'll get around to watching it with the Spanish dub. sounds fun!

Isis .. I almost checked that set out . I watched the prices get jacked up & just shrugged. Just a couple days too late. Ah well. There's always something else to spend my DVD allowance on.

ZoSo, who's your profile picture, and what movie is it from? I like it!:15_002:

I'm pretty sure it's from Master of the Flying Guillotine. :)

Archived