Wei Pai's best performance

Morgoth Bauglir

What is Wei Pai's best performance?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is Wei Pai's best performance?

• The Devil & the Ghostbuster
    • The Brave Archer part 2
    • The Phantom Killer
    • The Cheeky Chap
    • The Young Master
    • Last Hurrah for Chivalry
    • Magnificent Butcher
    • The Kid with the Golden Arm
    • The Five Venoms
    • Invincible Shaolin

On 6/13/2010 at 9:26 PM, Cesare said:

Kinda funky, fairly entertaining but overall pretty mediocre (watched it without subs though, so it might have awesome dialogs for all I know). I *did* enjoy it, but my judgement is slightly clouded...:angel:

I guess Last Hurrah indeed is his best performance overall, but he did well in Cheeky Chap and Phantom Killer as well.

However, my vote goes to 5DV for sentimental reasons (and because I think that he did a good job in that film - plus, Snake was a cool character).

I really liked some of his TV work. Esp. Tie Shou in the ATV Si da ming bu sequel. My fave constable played by my fave Venom. Great combo.

He's pretty cool in Tolerant Hero, too.

I watched Tolerant Hero long ago, and I don't even remember that he was in it.

And I still haven't watched Si Da Ming Bu, but now that I know that Wei Pai is in these two series, I have to find time to watch them !

I loved him in Five Venoms and Last Hurrah for Chivalry. I haven't watched some of the movies listed here.

I think that he was given more opportunities to be the lead in TV series, mainly the Morris Weinberg's ones, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2010 at 8:20 PM, rdenn said:

he has done quite a few tv movies for the my way film company, even one with ken lo.

@rdenn, could you list the titles of the TV series he appeared in, please ?

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 3

I just took a look at his filmography on hkmdb. One of his TV series has been added : Jiang Hu Liao Duan.

And I found that he played in Naval Commandos. look at this picture, he looks like a teenager !!

TheNavalCommandos+1977-69-t.jpg

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

LAST HURRAH, easy decision. YOUNG MASTER would be my 2nd choice, then 5 VENOMS. I like him in general, and always wondered if him playing this A-hole character in KWTGA is a reason for many people disliking him. In 5 VENOMS, his character is similarly arrogant.  

JIANG HU LIAO DUAN looks interesting. Does hkmdb list tv series now? Or is it a movie made for TV? 

30 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

And I found that he played in Naval Commandos. look at this picture, he looks like a teenager !!

He looks very young indeed! He did not seem to age at all thru his listed filmography. 

• Like 2

There aren't many informations about Wei Pai on the internet, but I searched with his Chinese name, and discovered that he also played in the ATV series Jade Bow Connection (or The Jade Bow) and the ENglish (and also French) translation says that he is John Woo's brother !

Here is the copy-paste of the Chinese wikipedia page !

Wei Bai (1957 - ), formerly known as Mei Guocheng . Former Hong Kong martial arts actor. He began to appear in Shaw Brothers movies in the 1970s, and was used by the famous director Zhang Che . During the Shaw Brothers, Wei Bai participated in many martial arts films. However, because Wei Bai did not sign a contract with Shaw Brothers, he was given up by Shaw Brothers. So Wei Bai switched to Jiahe in 1979 , joined his brother Wu Yusen , and co-starred in the martial arts movie " Hero " with Liu Songren .

From 1984 to 1985, Wei Bai joined ATV for a short period of time, and participated in dramas such as "The Four Famous Catchbacks ". In the late 1980s, Wei Bai withdrew from the film and television industry. It is rumored that he later moved to Argentina .

Movie work

TV series ( Asian Television )

TV series (other)

And according to baike.baidu site, he also played in the series Sister Gan Nineteen, and Legend of the banner hero.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I think 師兄 refers to a senior classmate/ older brother, not a "real" brother. 

Thanks for the precision. I was a little bit dubious when I read this on Wikipedia in Chinese...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

LAST HURRAH, easy decision. YOUNG MASTER would be my 2nd choice, then 5 VENOMS. I like him in general, and always wondered if him playing this A-hole character in KWTGA is a reason for many people disliking him. In 5 VENOMS, his character is similarly arrogant.  

JIANG HU LIAO DUAN looks interesting. Does hkmdb list tv series now? Or is it a movie made for TV? 

He looks very young indeed! He did not seem to age at all thru his listed filmography. 

He was only 20 in this picture from Naval Commandos !

And this one comes from The imposter ; he was only 18 ! That's too bad that there isn't a picture of his from the movie Heroes on the underground 1973, in which he was only 16 years old !

TheImposter+1975-120-t.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks for the precision. I was a little bit dubious when I read this on Wikipedia in Chinese...

12 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I think 師兄 refers to a senior classmate/ older brother, not a "real" brother. 

I guess that second character reads as "xiong", right ? And how do I read the first one ? I don't recognize the character "ta" for "big" or "older"...

• Like 2

Some other series in which Wei Pai played :

By royal decree (12 gold plaques) ATV 1984

A killing love Morris Weinberg 1985

Cold-blooded lady killer (Revenge of beautiful killer) 1986

That's really too bad that he wasn't given enough opportunities to shine as the main lead in movies, he is another one of my favorite actors...Sorry, @TibetanWhiteCrane...:bs_smile:

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I guess that second character reads as "xiong", right ? And how do I read the first one ? I don't recognize the character "ta" for "big" or "older"...

The first reads shi, yes the second is xiong. da is big in general, in movies they often use da ge for the oldest student/ brother in the sense that he was the first student, not necessarily the oldest in age. When a hero saves someone he is also often refered to as da ge by the rescued person. A famous person or hero is often referred to as da ren (literally big human). 

The complexity of kinsfolk names is telling of how important family is or at least was traditonally in China. Within a blood related family, xiong di means brother in general. didi is a younger brother, gege is an older brother. 

Corrections welcome! Sadly I don't have a Chinese class at the moment where I could ask teacher. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1