Wei Pai's best performance

Morgoth Bauglir

What is Wei Pai's best performance?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is Wei Pai's best performance?

• The Devil & the Ghostbuster
    • The Brave Archer part 2
    • The Phantom Killer
    • The Cheeky Chap
    • The Young Master
    • Last Hurrah for Chivalry
    • Magnificent Butcher
    • The Kid with the Golden Arm
    • The Five Venoms
    • Invincible Shaolin

Morgoth Bauglir

It’s that time again, poll time! Wei Pai isn’t one of my favorite actors/fighters, but he's given at least a few great performances IMO. My fav is Kid with the Golden Arm. He's an a-hole in KWTGA, which makes him much more interesting to me than the hero type characters you see in most movies

I haven't seen Brave Archer part 2 in awhile, and to be honest I don't even remember him in the movie. I just used it to fill up the 10th spot in the poll.

I've never seen The Devil & the Ghostbuster. Any opinions on it?

Let me know if your favorite performance from Wei Pai isn't listed.

BlackLamaFaction

I agree with you that Golden Arm was probably his best role. He was an A-hole for sure but he had presence and was pretty good with the sword. His fight against Lo Mang at the end was great until Lo Mang twisted his sword up like a pretzel and stabbed him with it. Last Hurrah for Chivalry would be my second choice the action wasn't exactly Chang Cheh level, but the story was quite good and I liked this character more than Hero Li, and again he was good with the sword. I think he was better with a sword than he was barehanded (just my opinion).

Last Hurrah for Chivalry.

For some reason, he wasn't able to capture the spotlight, however, when given a chance in this starring role, he was decent. He seemed to be more an ensemble or stable asset than stand alone star. He played off Jackie Chan well in The Young Master and in the Venoms' Kid With The Golden Arm.

Guest ekisha

Actually Wei Pai is my favourite venom, though most of you don't count him as one. I have voted for Cheeky Chap, that's my favourite Wei Pai film. Actionwise it's really entertaining, some parts are funny, 2 of my favourite comedy actors are also in this one- Liu Wai Hung and Wong Ching. And i just love that Trinity style intro..

I also like Phantom Killer. In my opinion it has the best mysterious plot within a kung fu genre. Plus, Eddie Ko's excellent acting.

And at last: Last Hurrah For Chivalry. John Woo managed to get all the best from Wei Pai. His acting is much better here than the previous 2 films. What more? Great swordfighting scenes, John Woo's typical brotherhood, talented villains like Fung Hak On and Lee Hoi Sang.

Oh !

My Silly DEAREST STUDENT Morgoth , So this is WERE YOU are hiding ??? So very OBVIOUS .. Your SKILLS really are DETERIOATING terrible fast ! ( But as I already told You (AGAIN OVER & OVER ...)This is what would happen if YOU deceived me ..( or DEATH by DISMEMBERMENT .... THAT IS STILL A POSSIBILITY ..) !

As your ONLY ETERNAL MASTER I should have been ASKED FIRST & it goes WITHOUT saying that MY VOTE is worth 10 ! So the " Kid with the Golden Arm " NOW HAWE 13 votes !

& my LITLLE KUNG FU MICE STUDENT Morgoth ..You do GET WHY ???

( Or has YOUR deterioration gone that far ????)

A HERO can NEVER EVER OUT DERAIL ..OUT DERANGE...OUT DO A VILLAN IN ANY WAY ...!! & REMEMBER a true villain is a FIGTHER from A SO CALLED GOOD CLAN BUT WITH REAL EVIL HEART .... ( I can think of a FEW ...!)

It is all so VERY OBVIOUS AS USUALL ... YOU must get past this VERY LOW level of yours ! ( This SILLY KUNG FU BABY MICE EXPLAINING is getting VERY tedious ...)

But to the IMPORTENT business at hand -> : YOU WILL be at the AWARD CERMONY to KILL all the lower level FIGHTERS I would LOSE FACE if I bothered with.

I have ALREADY dealt with the MASTERS , only my EVIL clan allies will be present ...

& the 2 PRETENDERS to my " DERAILED VILLANES AWARD " have already DECLINED! ( One I SEDUSED/CONVINCED the other I PAID OFF ...)

BUT the satellite PAY PER VIEW is still on ! I have recruited the OTHER FALKOR from the never ending story AS AN IMPOSTER & the funds go directly into my EVIL BRIDE off shore account...

Morgoth's ETERNAL MASTER ATHENA THE INVINCIABLE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR :kiss:

WITH MY PERFECT VILLANESS BRIDE DETECTION SKILL I HAVE JUST MAGICALY " SEEN " THE PERFECT POLL GREAT MASTER " !

But HE as not ANSWERED THIS POLL CALL:tongue: .... Could his POLL SKILLS be deteriorating ??? :cry: NO WAY !!!:wink:

A hint to make it all CLEARER ...Some people spell the same things SLIGTHLY different :kiss: !!

ATHENA THE ULTIMATE EVIL :kiss:

kungfusamurai

You forgot Prodigal Son! ;)

I voted for Cheeky Chap mainly because he was the lead and he carried it with a wide range of emotion and so on and so forth. But I did like him in Five Venoms, like his character's change of heart towards the end of that flick.

Is he still alive? I think there was a thread about him disappearing from the film industry around the time of Prodigal Son. Usually when someone stops doing stuff that suddenly, they're really ill or died.

KFS

You forgot Prodigal Son! ;)

I voted for Cheeky Chap mainly because he was the lead and he carried it with a wide range of emotion and so on and so forth. But I did like him in Five Venoms, like his character's change of heart towards the end of that flick.

Is he still alive? I think there was a thread about him disappearing from the film industry around the time of Prodigal Son. Usually when someone stops doing stuff that suddenly, they're really ill or died.

KFS

Hey KFS !!

Have not talked to you for a while !

He is ALIVE , RICH & running his FAMILY BUISNESS IN CHINA ! As far as I am informed : oil,precious stones,stocks & property ( Sounds like a good pay off !)

His family HAVE old money !

Good to see you again !

EVIL ATHENA :kiss:...

odioustrident

Wei Pai breaks out some pretty memorable shapes in Five Venoms. Bey Logan mentions the creativity that went into those scenes in a blog post:

http://www.dragondynasty.com/blog/show/111

I think Five Venoms overshadows the team's later, much better stuff (at least when viewed today), but the poor guy just didn't get enough work. Phantom Killer is a personal favorite, but Wei Pai wasn't that memorable for me as a main man.

ironfistedmonk

Best performance by far is Last Hurrah for Chivalry, his fight with Fung Hark On is one of the greatest of all time, if you don't believe me watch it 2 or 3 more times and you will see something you missed first time round, one of the greatest fight scenes of all time IMO. Cheeky Chap also has to get a mention, the film overall is a bit meh but the final fight with Charlie Chan is something special, some brilliantly paced choreography.

kungfusamurai
Hey KFS !!

Have not talked to you for a while !

He is ALIVE , RICH & running his FAMILY BUISNESS IN CHINA ! As far as I am informed : oil,precious stones,stocks & property ( Sounds like a good pay off !)

His family HAVE old money !

Good to see you again !

EVIL ATHENA :kiss:...

Thank you for the update, Athena! It's always good to have a little oil in your portfolio. :) I guess he's not had any interest in making movies, as a producer or investor, for a long time.

KFS

Morgoth Bauglir

You just won't die Athena. I recruited thousands of powerful masters from both sides of evil and good to make an alliance and kill you, and once again my efforts were a waste. Maybe I should just give in and let you capture me. Your 10 votes on the poll are appreciated. I will return to your temple, so there's no need to come and capture me. You can trust me this time.

I've never seen The Devil & the Ghostbuster. Any opinions on it?

Kinda funky, fairly entertaining but overall pretty mediocre (watched it without subs though, so it might have awesome dialogs for all I know). I *did* enjoy it, but my judgement is slightly clouded...:angel:

I guess Last Hurrah indeed is his best performance overall, but he did well in Cheeky Chap and Phantom Killer as well.

However, my vote goes to 5DV for sentimental reasons (and because I think that he did a good job in that film - plus, Snake was a cool character).

I really liked some of his TV work. Esp. Tie Shou in the ATV Si da ming bu sequel. My fave constable played by my fave Venom. Great combo.

He's pretty cool in Tolerant Hero, too.

Morgoth Bauglir

I was hoping Wei Pai's #1 fan would post on this thread:smile2:

Thanks for the info on Devil and Ghostbuster. And I'll have to check out his TV work some time.

So it looks like right now KWTGA is in the lead with 12 votes. Last Hurrah for Chivarly only 7 votes:xd:

Secretmember
I was hoping Wei Pai's #1 fan would post on this thread:smile2:

Thanks for the info on Devil and Ghostbuster. And I'll have to check out his TV work some time.

So it looks like right now KWTGA is in the lead with 12 votes. Last Hurrah for Chivarly only 7 votes:xd:

Hey morgue clansdude!

1 for venoms 5

Bronx Rican

I can't vote yet, because I'd really like to see "Hurrah" first. I have to say, though, I was not feeling his "Golden Arm" character. Some folks like his "A-hole" angle, but to me it kinda ruined the relationship with "his girl." One thing to be consumed by your pride, but at least show something resembling a human in the direction of your mate! I just kept thinking, what the hell does she SEE in this prick? "Nonsense!" Not to mention the scene where he yanked her sword out was then edited on his back dead... tragedy became utter hilarity. BTW, did he do anything in "Archer 2" besides throw a sword?

he has done quite a few tv movies for the my way film company, even one with ken lo.

Care to write down a few titles? I have seen some TV films (not sure they were the ones you refer to) - but at least two of them are film versions of TV series. I'm looking for info all the time and mapping out Wei Pai's TV career is a long-term quest of mine...:-)

...even one with ken lo.

This one?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU4MzgzNDQ=.html

(BTW - according to what folks at baidu discussion board write, the original was an ATV series or miniseries.)

Some goodies:

wei1.jpg

wei2.jpg

(Briefly about the GH contract, buying a house, (not) getting married (yet), practicing Hung Kuen and stuff... But my Chinese is seriously lacking, so anyone willing to translate will have my undying gratitude.)

I haven't seen a couple of those on there but if any of them are better than Last Hurrah I need to watch them soon. He was great in 5 Deadly Venoms but over-shadowed by the talent, I think Last Hurrah he gets to be in the spotlight.

Cesare I just sent those pages to my friend, hopefully he gets some time to translate:wink:

Killer Meteor
On 6/12/2021 at 2:29 PM, Cognoscente said:

According to Craig Reed's book on '70s martial arts movies, Wei Pai had Tourette's.

I just thought that was the bad dubbing ;)

• Like 3

I like Wei Pai in Last Hurrah for Chivalry, although Damian Lau stole the show.  That long, drawn out fight with Fung Hak On was really nice to see.  Fung was a better fighter, it was obvious, but he made Wei Pai look good.  There were a few other actors from the Shaw stable in that film as well.  If Wei had Tourette's then that is indeed sad.  We may never know his actual potential without the affliction.  Had a student once with that disorder; class was difficult for him and me.

wei pai.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 3