Bruce Le movies in the Philippines

bruceleeclones

bruceleeclones

I was just curious about what language Bruce Le's movies that were filmed in the Philippines would have been shot in. Titles like Bruce The Superhero, Bruce's Fist of Vengeance, Return of Bruce, etc.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
I was just curious about what language Bruce Le's movies that were filmed in the Philippines would have been shot in. Titles like Bruce The Superhero, Bruce's Fist of Vengeance, Return of Bruce, etc.

I suspect on those productions the actors just spoke their own languages.

I suspect on those productions the actors just spoke their own languages.

Disagree. When Yukari Oshima filmed in Philippines, her lines were all in english. Probably was the same with Bruce Le.

Mike Leeder

For the Bruce Le movies shot in Philippines its hard to say....

You might find that for certains cenes with philipino actors etc, he spoke English on set to make things easier, for other scenes with Cantonese or mandarin speaking actors, he spoke Canto or Mandarin

Yukari Oshima ended up being fluent in Tagalog very quickly and most of her dialogue was in Tagalog for her later Philipine films,

Often on set there, a mixture of languages are spoken depending on cast, crew makeup...I did a couple of movies there where we had Taiwanese actors speaking Mandarin, HK actors speaking Cantonese, others speaking english or Tagalog in scenes...if there was a mutually understood langaueg then majority of actors would speak that in scenes...it can also depend on if tis a close up, wideshot etc....if close up they might speak Cantonese/mandarin just to make it easier for the dubbers

Guest Markgway
Disagree. When Yukari Oshima filmed in Philippines, her lines were all in english. Probably was the same with Bruce Le.

The Bruce Le films were shot in a different era and it's unlikely that most of the Chinese actors in those films spoke English never mind Filipino. You can't compare them to the more international Oshima. On something like Return of Bruce you had Cantonese, Mandarin, and Korean natives working together - plus the locals. There may have been some English dialogue - but I would make any assumption that this constituted the majority. Unlike, say, Shaw Bros films where an original language was imposed, here it would be a case of whatever works easiest. Mike Leeder puts it in better detail than I could.

bruceleeclones

Thanks for the answers. I guess an easier question would have been, what language where those movies originally released. I'm guessing for the period of time they were shot, mandarin for the asian release, and English dub for the international market?

Guest Markgway

Depends on the film, but most of them were released in HK with a Cantonese dub, and internationally with an English dub.

Which Bruce Le movie had Wing Chun Master, Wong Shun Leung in it? I saw a clip on YOUTUBE without the film title mentioned?

bruceleeclones

I thought it would have been a little early for cantonese dubs on those movies.

The movie with Wong Shun Leung is Bruce's Fingers

Guest Markgway

Not really, they started coming out circa 1977, and whilst the studios were just getting into producing Cantonese martial arts movies, the indies had already caught on to the idea. Shaw Bros were the longest hold out.

I now NEED to see that movie....any help out there?

Im assuming, like most people on this thread, that it was a mishmash of languages spoke at different times depending on the situation. the dick randall movies he did with bruce le were MOSTLY english and tagalog, but it is very easy to notice that even when speaking english, the voice actor wont even try to match the lips with the voice ie..dick randall's character in bruce the superhero

Guest Markgway

It's true that sometimes when a film gets dubbed from English into English the sync is still rotten.

I saw Mario Bava's Bay of Blood recently and that film suffers such a fate.

BRUCE'S FIST OF VENGEANCE...

Been watching this, I can tell you that this was dubbed by filipino's. Sounds like my uncle's are dubbing the damn thing. I know that flip accent when i hear it.

Okay, I have a question about this movie, for those who have seen it:

1. Who is this Jack Lee guy? (he's the kicker, right?)

2. What other films has he been in? Is he filipino?

BRUCE'S FIST OF VENGEANCE...

Been watching this, I can tell you that this was dubbed by filipino's. Sounds like my uncle's are dubbing the damn thing. I know that flip accent when i hear it.

Okay, I have a question about this movie, for those who have seen it:

1. Who is this Jack Lee guy? (he's the kicker, right?)

2. What other films has he been in? Is he filipino?

I used to wonder that as well. Jack Lee used to star in several more Fillipino movies including The Call Him Bruce Lee and Five Style-Fists. I don't know what is he doing now, but in interview Don Gordon Bell mentioned that Jack was good martial artist and that he was availible to speak English very well.

Andrew Leavold

I found a few more Tagalog films of Jack Lee:

1979 - Twin Fists For The Blackmasters (Twin Dragon)

[Release date 7th June 1979]

Director/Screenplay "Reginald King"/Rey Malonzo Cinematography Joe Tutanes

Cast Rey Malonzo, Jack Lee, Donna Villa

1980 – Pinoy Boxer (Ultra Vision Films)

[Release date 22nd February 1980]

Director Leonardo “Ding” Pascual Screenplay Naning Estrella Cinematography Pol Cuenco

Cast Rey Malonzo, Jack Lee, Cecille Castillo, Boy Fernandez, Ernie Ortega, Don Pepot, Matimtiman Cruz, Pons de Guzman, Allan Shishir, Jet Sahara

I'm not sure if "Jacky" is Jack..

1979 - Final Showdown (JPM)

[Release date 12th October 1979]

Director Leonard Pascual

Cast Rey Malonzo, Jacky Lee

Archived