The Man From Nowhere (2010)

AlbertV

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ Hahhaaha, I know what you mean dude.. I was bawling like a little bitch when I saw that scene...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Hahhaaha, I know what you mean dude.. I was bawling like a little bitch when I saw that scene...

Which one are you refering to? All of em are :cry: worthy.

OpiumKungFuCracker

SPOILER**********

yeah, towards the end when he finds out she was alive and at the end when he finally get to hug her before the credits rolled up.. great movie overall!!!

mpm74: I hear what your saying, and I do agree there are a few similarities from other movies in this one. (ex: The Knife scene reminded me of the end fight between Steven Segal & Tommy Lee Jones from Under Siege.) but I think on a whole its still an original script, and a great movie!

That reminded me of the Uunder Siege 2 fight as well. =D Good call. Now, THAT'S a comparison!

A prequel would be nice but they are tough to get right so I think the movie is best on its own, not to be ruined.

Lionclaw: I do know what your saying I just think there is so much to this character that you could really get into him more, to show everything that made him that way from his humble beginnings, to a ruthless badass! I think that would be a really good movie. But I also hope to see him in another action flick soon as well.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one last night. I would have to agree with monkeygift on the point that, having watched plenty of Korean cinema in my time, this isn't up there with the best of them, but it was still pretty good.

Perhaps I also suffered from having only recently watched 'I Saw the Devil' as well, that film really was on a completely different level.

As it is 'The Man from Nowhere' is still a solid action thriller, it simply doesn't bring anything new to the table. Unusually for Korean cinema, there are some surprisingly cheesy scenes. Reading through the start of this thread, I noticed many people that commented watched it without, or with but completely illegible, subtitles. Obviously if this was the case and without an understanding of Korean, this cheesiness woudn't come across.

However the girls speech about how hating Won Bin would hurt her heart, and even Won Bin's own "I just want to give you a hug" speech, all came across as a little cheeseball. The villains also fell into the category of simply being evil for evils sake, they where a little 2 dimensional for my taste...especially the scene when they're supervising the kids making the drugs, the unbelievability of it gave me flashbacks of the perfume factory in 'Raging Phoenix'!

That being said, the knife fights where indeed great, and it would be good to see Won Bin in another action role. If anyone enjoyed him in this movie, they should watch the outstanding 'Mother', about as opposite of action as you can get, but still a gripping movie in every way and a great performance from Won Bin, his first after completing military service.

I can see the comparisons to 'Taken' being pretty justified, the story is similar in several respects. Regarding people claiming how awesome and re-watchable the final fight scene is, it actually reminded me a lot of the finale from 'Soo', which happens to be a lot longer and signifcantly more bloody. Although the movie for me didn't stand up as a whole, I'd almost recommend it based on the ridiculously violent action scenes alone, I posted my comments here - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9950

All in all 'The Man from Nowhere' was good but falls short of great...I have 'Man of Vendetta' coming in the mail, which has a similar story by the sounds of it, I'll post my thoughts on that one once I get through watching it!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I got through watching this one last night. I would have to agree with monkeygift on the point that, having watched plenty of Korean cinema in my time, this isn't up there with the best of them, but it was still pretty good.

Perhaps I also suffered from having only recently watched 'I Saw the Devil' as well, that film really was on a completely different level

I get that. Yeah, I really enjoyed it. But it wasn't CRYING FIST or A BITTERSWEET LIFE. But I would classify it as a good, above average dramatic action film well worth seeing.

I SAW THE DEVIL is definitely in a completely different class! For sure.

As it is 'The Man from Nowhere' is still a solid action thriller, it simply doesn't bring anything new to the table. Unusually for Korean cinema, there are some surprisingly cheesy scenes. Reading through the start of this thread, I noticed many people that commented watched it without, or with but completely illegible, subtitles. Obviously if this was the case and without an understanding of Korean, this cheesiness woudn't come across.

However the girls speech about how hating Won Bin would hurt her heart, and even Won Bin's own "I just want to give you a hug" speech, all came across as a little cheeseball. The villains also fell into the category of simply being evil for evils sake, they where a little 2 dimensional for my taste...especially the scene when they're supervising the kids making the drugs, the unbelievability of it gave me flashbacks of the perfume factory in 'Raging Phoenix'!

Personally, I actually liked the "cheese" between the two characters. To me, it felt almost like a bit of a satire of these kinds of films, sort of winking at the viewer as it unspooled.

Agree 100% about the villains. But boy did I want to see them pay for their evil deeds!

That being said, the knife fights where indeed great, and it would be good to see Won Bin in another action role. If anyone enjoyed him in this movie, they should watch the outstanding 'Mother', about as opposite of action as you can get, but still a gripping movie in every way and a great performance from Won Bin, his first after completing military service.

The knife fight scenes belong in the top, next to HUNTED, EXPOSURE, THE EXPERT, SPL, and A DIRTY CARNIVAL.

MOTHER is a fantastic film! But I'd expect no less from that filmmaker. The guy is a cinematic genius.

Regarding people claiming how awesome and re-watchable the final fight scene is, it actually reminded me a lot of the finale from 'Soo', which happens to be a lot longer and signifcantly more bloody. Although the movie for me didn't stand up as a whole, I'd almost recommend it based on the ridiculously violent action scenes alone, I posted my comments here - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9950

Hmmm.... never heard of SOO. I'll check out you post.

One Armed Boxer
Personally, I actually liked the "cheese" between the two characters. To me, it felt almost like a bit of a satire of these kinds of films, sort of winking at the viewer as it unspooled.

Agree 100% about the villains. But boy did I want to see them pay for their evil deeds!

Hey Kung Fu Bob....man I always have nothing but respect for your opinions! That`s fair enough that you felt they where going for a slightly satirical slant, for me personally I couldn`t feel it, the movie felt like it was being completley straight faced and serious in it`s tone.

& if they where going for satire, it`s slightly jarring when it`s mixed in with scenes of bodies being found with no eyes and all of their organs removed....it`s on a par with Sammo Hung`s early directorial efforts where slapstick comedy would suddenly give way to brutal beatings or rape!

The knife fight scenes belong in the top, next to HUNTED, EXPOSURE, THE EXPERT, SPL, and A DIRTY CARNIVAL.

Cool....I just picked up `A Dirty Carnival` on the recommendation you gave me several months ago!

I`ve been on a bit of a Korean movie rampage lately. I found a small shop in Korea-town here in Tokyo which literally has stacks of long out of print first press editions of Korean movies, retailing for their normal price as if they just came out yesterday....stuff like the now super-rare edition of `Crying Fist` with the limited edition booklet, and the 3-DVD edition of `The Host`. Chances are if they are here now they`ll still be here in a few months time, but I got so excited I splurged and bought a whole stack at once...not looking forward to my credit card bill next month!

MOTHER is a fantastic film! But I'd expect no less from that filmmaker. The guy is a cinematic genius.

Yeah Bong Joon-ho, another Korean director who seems to be able to do no wrong. I also picked up `Memories of Murder` in my splurge, a movie I have unforgivably yet to see. It`ll be in the DVD player in the next week!

Hmmm.... never heard of SOO. I'll check out you post.

Actually it`s directed by a Japanese born Korean, for this movie he goes by his Korean name of Choi Yang-il, for other movies he goes by his Japanese name of Yoichi Sai (`Blood & Bones` with Kitano `Beat` Takeshi), kind of confusing....as far as I`m aware `Soo` is his only native Korean movie. Perhaps because of his upbringing the movie has kind of a different feel than most other Korean flicks.

sifu iron perm

ive been sleeping on many movies..

how does this rank with old boy & a bitter sweet life?

One Armed Boxer
how does this rank with old boy & a bitter sweet life?

I think Kung Fu Bob put it best - :xd:

I really enjoyed it. But it wasn't CRYING FIST or A BITTERSWEET LIFE. But I would classify it as a good, above average dramatic action film well worth seeing.

ShaOW!linDude

I finally got to see this last night. Good story. I really enjoyed the dastardly characters and wanted them to get their comeuppance. The action was good for the most part. However, there were a lot of instances where I just couldn't tell what was going on as it was all shot too fast, too close, and I found the editing to be a bit hit and miss. Still, it's a good flick. This big knife fight scene toward the end was cool (though it suffered from my previous complaint).

OpiumKungFuCracker
I finally got to see this last night. Good story. I really enjoyed the dastardly characters and wanted them to get their comeuppance. The action was good for the most part. However, there were a lot of instances where I just couldn't tell what was going on as it was all shot too fast, too close, and I found the editing to be a bit hit and miss. Still, it's a good flick. This big knife fight scene toward the end was cool (though it suffered from my previous complaint).

Yeah, the editing and camera work can be a little off putting but I was engross in the character drama that all the other distractions didn't bother me too much. The scene at the end had me in tears literally.

• Administrator
The scene at the end when he....

Yo OpiumKungFuCracker- please edit your last post. You're totally ruining the end for those that haven't seen it! :crossedlips:

I do agree though, it was a very emotional finale.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Yo OpiumKungFuCracker- please edit your last post. You're totally ruining the end for those that haven't seen it! :crossedlips:

I do agree though, it was a very emotional finale.

Oh my bad, I just thought the rules for spoiler is after 3 years has passed, it's no longer spoiler free? I will edit it anyways.

• Administrator
Oh my bad, I just thought the rules for spoiler is after 3 years has passed, it's no longer spoiler free? I will edit it anyways.

Thanks for the edit bro.

The way I see it, as we are fans of many films that date back to the '70s (and even further), why EVER reveal the end of a film? Many generations are still discovering these (and any genre of films) films, and if you haven't seen them, they may as well be brand new. For instance, my son just saw HARD TARGET for the first time, which came out the year before he was born. Newbies should be able to be delighted/shocked by scenes like the finale of TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG even now, some 30 years later, right? :nerd:

I'd simply request that you (and other forum members) would please just give a "SPOILER ALERT" first if you want to discuss... well, spoilers. :wink:

OpiumKungFuCracker
Thanks for the edit bro.

The way I see it, as we are fans of many films that date back to the '70s (and even further), why EVER reveal the end of a film? Many generations are still discovering these (and any genre of films) films, and if you haven't seen them, they may as well be brand new. For instance, my son just saw HARD TARGET for the first time, which came out the year before he was born. Newbies should be able to be delighted/shocked by scenes like the finale of TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG even now, some 30 years later, right? :nerd:

I'd simply request that you (and other forum members) would please just give a "SPOILER ALERT" first if you want to discuss... well, spoilers. :wink:

Bro, I agree and I do want newer generations to discover these great films without us spoiling it for them but if that's the case, when can people who have seen the movies discuss about them with spoiler and all? My suggestion is create a movie thread with Spoiler in it and it's for those folks who have seen it and for those who haven't seen the movie, they've been warned.

• Administrator
Bro, I agree and I do want newer generations to discover these great films without us spoiling it for them but if that's the case, when can people who have seen the movies discuss about them with spoiler and all? My suggestion is create a movie thread with Spoiler in it and it's for those folks who have seen it and for those who haven't seen the movie, they've been warned.

Why make a different thread when you can just say "Spoiler Alert" ahead in your post, skip a couple of lines, then write your plot spoiling comment? You're over-complicating it my friend. :smile:

Example: My favorite part of TOXIC DOUCHE MASTERS was when... "SPOILER ALERT"

...the hero was torn to pieces by rabid weasels! :wink:

OpiumKungFuCracker
Why make a different thread when you can just say "Spoiler Alert" ahead in your post, skip a couple of lines, then write your plot spoiling comment? You're over-complicating it my friend. :smile:

Example: My favorite part of TOXIC DOUCHE MASTERS was when... "SPOILER ALERT"

...the hero was torn to pieces by rabid weasels! :wink:

It probably won't work for me though even if you say spoiler alert, I will still continue on reading because I'm curious like George.

Archived