The Man From Nowhere (2010)

AlbertV

Won Bin (GUNS AND TALKS) stars in this new action thriller. Here's the teaser and synopsis:

"An ex-special agent CHA Tae-sik's only connection to the rest of the world is a little girl, So-mi, who lives nearby. So-mi's mother, Hyo-jeong smuggles drugs from a drug trafficking organization and entrusts Tae-sik with the product, without letting him know. When the traffickers find out they kidnap both Hyo-jeong and So-mi. Mistaking Tae-sik for another mule, the brothers that lead the gang promise to release Hyo-jeong and So-mi if Tae-sik makes a delivery for them. After much consideration, Tae-sik makes the decision to face the outside world in order to rescue So-mi. At the same time, Hyo-jeong's disemboweled body is discovered, and Tae-sik realizes that So-mi's life may also be in danger. In the process, he discovers that their drug ring operates around kidnapped children. Stumbling upon a factory where the brothers have children's organs removed to accommodate the drugs, Tae-sik rescues one child just before surgery and becomes enraged at the prospect So-mi may already be dead. Tae-sik prepares for a battle with Man-sik and Jong-sik, putting his own life at risk."

Teaser:

YvzTpQVgg-A

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

My kung fu brothers, you have got to see this movie.. The best action movie of the year!!! If you like A Bittersweet Life, then this movie is right up your alley!!!

I saw it when it came out here in Korea. It was pretty lame, it actually looked like a rip-off of at least 4 or 5 well known movies such as LEON (The Professional), Bittersweet Life (for the colors) and so on. But that wasn't for the good purpose of the film. The only way you can explain the huge success of this film is because of the main actor (Won Bin) who managed to gather all the females in Korea to see this film... THAT'S IT.

The film is rather long and sometimes even boring. The fighting scenes are nothing special or cruel (especially if you watched "I SAW THE DEVIL" just before like I did).

So yes, it's worth a rental but that's about it. I was much desapointed by this big budget action/drama flick which felt more like a drama with a few action scenes.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

• Administrator
The best action movie of the year!!!

I didn't think it was that great...

The film is rather long and sometimes even boring...

...but I liked it way more than you!

It's a powerful dramatic thriller for a while, then it kicks into some serious action. There's a hellacious knife fight that had me on the edge of my seat. Everyone that I was with loved it, and the festival audience all seemed to dig it. Loved the atmosphere, story, acting, heart... Great directing and vicious fighting. 8 out of 10* for me.

The fighting scenes are nothing special or cruel (especially if you watched "I SAW THE DEVIL" just before like I did).

Damn, I've got to see that one. :smile:

Twitch announced that this movie won the most awards at the Korean Film Awards, their equivalent of the Academy Awards.

Won Bin won Best Actor

Kim Sae-Ron won Best New Actress

Lee Tae-Yoon won Best Cinematography

Shim Hyun-Jung won Best Music

Lee Cheol-Oh won Best Lighting

Park Jung-Ryul won Best Visual Effects

Kim Sang-Beom and Kim Jae-Beom won Best Editing

OpiumKungFuCracker
Twitch announced that this movie won the most awards at the Korean Film Awards, their equivalent of the Academy Awards.

Won Bin won Best Actor

Kim Sae-Ron won Best New Actress

Lee Tae-Yoon won Best Cinematography

Shim Hyun-Jung won Best Music

Lee Cheol-Oh won Best Lighting

Park Jung-Ryul won Best Visual Effects

Kim Sang-Beom and Kim Jae-Beom won Best Editing

Hell Yah, dats what I'm talkin about!!! This movie deserves the recognition it gets and can't wait to get the dvd.. This is a badass action movie!!!

This is being released on DVD on March 8, 2011

I cannot wait to see it myself.

Editorial Reviews

Review

"Slick, Stylish, and Gut Wrenching Thriller" --Twitch

Product Description

Tae-shik (Won Bin) is an ex-special agent whose tragic past has made him distance himself from the world. He now lives in solitude and runs a small pawnshop. The only people he now sees are the few pawnshop customers and So-mi (Kim Sae-Ron), the young girl who lives next door. So-mi has also been neglected by the world and as she and Tae-shik begin to spend more time together, the two gradually open themselves to one another and become friends. Then one day, So-mi suddenly disappears. So-mi s mother becomes involved in a major crime causing both her and So-mi to get kidnapped. Tae-shik is drawn back out into the world in a frantic search for So-mi s whereabouts. In order to save So-mi, his one and only friend in this world, Tae-shik makes a certain arrangement with the crime mob. While So-mi is still nowhere to be found, the police begin to chase after Tae-shik. With the police and the underground mob close on his tail, Tae-shik continues his frantic search for So-mi and his hidden past slowly becomes revealed...

51zrjsDhcRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OpiumKungFuCracker

Awesome, can't wait to get it... I've been watching the bootleg for months with some of the funniest subtitles I've ever read in my life, LOL....

Ugh.... I remember watching Sukiyaki Django with the funky boot subtitles... they were so bad I thought it was some kind of intentional inside joke.

I remember watching Sukiyaki Western Django in its original engrish, and then realizing the whole thing was an intentional joke.

Also waiting on this one, but guys, if you haven't seen it yet, watch "I Saw The Devil" in between. Kim Ji-woon films never disappoint and that one is more then enough to hold you over.

I liked this film a lot, mainly due to some very good acting indeed from the lead (who is he?), the little girl (brilliant) and the Donnie Yen-a-like bad guy!

Looking forward to I Saw The Devil and the recent A Better Tomorrow remake.

Good flicks from Korea just keep on coming!

OpiumKungFuCracker
I liked this film a lot, mainly due to some very good acting indeed from the lead (who is he?), the little girl (brilliant) and the Donnie Yen-a-like bad guy!

Looking forward to I Saw The Devil and the recent A Better Tomorrow remake.

Good flicks from Korea just keep on coming!

Won Bin is his name.. Without him in the movie, it would probably be just another generic action movie that I've seen already.. His performance uplifted the movie emotionally with some great knife fighting scenes to add... Good Job Won Bin, good job!!!

wonbin1.jpg

emeraldforest
Awesome, can't wait to get it... I've been watching the bootleg for months with some of the funniest subtitles I've ever read in my life, LOL....

i got the dvd saturday at my local mall, the subtitles are totally whacked, seems like a computer program must have been used, and not a very good one at that.

but the film pretty much spoke for itself!

a solid action/drama with great acting and some very well done fights!

a little dark and brutal for the wife's liking, but she'll get over it:smile:

i had to watch it twice!

Now see this is when I'd wait for the film to be released legit on DVD, otherwise I'd of bought it already from overseas. Don't get me wrong if it was going to be another year or if I wasn't even sure it was getting a US release I'd of had it already.

51zrjsDhcRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wow, Well Go with the common sense to use the existing and reasonably attractive Korean poster art, rather than giving some poor intern college credits to photoshop some bullshit together Dragon Dynasty style*. I like these guys.

*Of course, everyone knows all Weinstein Company cover art is done by hobos paid with bottles of Aqua Velva, not college students.

The Amazing Psycho Per
The Man From Nowhere will be playing in theaters next week! I'll check it out.

:ooh: Really??? Where?

The Amazing Psycho Per

Ok thanks for your answer but I found it. It will be playing at the AMC Forum 22 in Montreal starting january 14. Schedule is supposed to appear online the 11th.

Yes, it will be playing at the AMC in montreal. I think it's going to be playing as a limited engagement in other cities, too. Well go will also be showing Ip Man II in many North American cities this winter.

Archived