Fox Way of the Dragon VHS Golden Harvest Logo

mpm74

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I've often wondered about that. It's the only time I've seen it done that way....maybe a one-off test they never used again?

Killer Meteor

Sounds like they've been raiding the BBC Radiophonic Workshop!

I think the Fox transfers came from the late 70s reissues. Fists Of Fury and Chinese Connection open with the CBS Fox logo then a Columbia title card. Columbia distributed Game Of Death on its US release.

It could have been the first go by GH at that logo after the one where the line runs through the GH and becomes a tree (or something) before they settled on the drumbeat one. It sure does reek of '77!

Thanks guys.

In a way, I kind of miss it. I wish it was ported down to current HK releases as well.

I always thought of it as "Bruce lee wrote, starred and directed this movie, which happens to be his last HK flick, so enjoy it... and here are some nasty sci-fi sound effects to really open your mind"...

Me and some friends always thought it was his Concord Productions sound effects.

Thanks guys.

In a way, I kind of miss it. I wish it was ported down to current HK releases as well.

I always thought of it as "Bruce lee wrote, starred and directed this movie, which happens to be his last HK flick, so enjoy it... and here are some nasty sci-fi sound effects to really open your mind"...

Me and some friends always thought it was his Concord Productions sound effects.

If you ever saw WAY on it's original UK release you'll have seen the CONCORD opening title logo animation which consisted of a red and a gold ball' that bounced around the (black) screen before forming a yin/yang with the circles representing film cans and the wording; A CONCORD PRODUCTION. It's on you tube and the UK VHS releases.

Guest Markgway

Concord logo from WAY:

There's no sound but I would be surprised if those bleeping sound effects originally matched the dancing yin/yang symbol.

The correct GH logo for this film would be the wheatfield one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV2eOEU8ynE

1) Why is the background blue?

2) Why does it have those strange sound effects?

(Perhaps Bruce Lee's Concorde Production effects?)

Concord logo from WAY:

There's no sound but I would be surprised if those bleeping sound effects originally matched the dancing yin/yang symbol.

The correct GH logo for this film would be the wheatfield one.

You and Markgway are 100% correct!

:nerd:

You and Markgway are 100% correct!

:nerd:

There was SOUND on original prints (omitted from VHS)..a kind of 'bouncing' sound to the balls!

THIS is where the sound comes from:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's slightly out of sync, but you get the idea. Bryanston Pictures was the company that first released Way of the Dragon (as Return of the Dragon, of course) in the US in fall 1973. When it was re-released, they smacked the Golden Harvest logo overtop the Bryanston Pictures background sound. Now, as for the blue background... well... no idea.

Killer Meteor's description of the GH logo is the one that followed the Concord logo on the original prints in UK and Taiwan (saw a Taiwanese VHS of the film).

Solved thanks to Old Pang Yau.

Never seen that Bryanston logo before.

Awesome.

OldPangYau, good find. First time I've seen that one, too!

Glad I could help! :xd:

Archived