Drunken Master Sound Problems

David Rees

David Rees

It has been stated on this forum and others how the Cantonese track for Drunken Master was damaged in places , so it was replaced with, on the hk dvd , Mandarin and on the US dvd English dub.

I tried to watch the HK dvd but it was terrible, the opening scene was redubbed in Cantonese and lots of scenes were cut out and said to be " deleted scenes"??....and only in Mandartin.

So imagine my suprise when someone gave me a fan rip of the , i think , French dvd with fan subs and its completely Cantonese!...mono, remastered...

What is wrong with the companies releasing these classics, how hard would it be to get the French dvd (or HK laserdisc?) and rip the Cantonese soundtrack and add it to the remastered print?. HK Legends was only Mandarin and cropped..the Columbia release was partly redubbed and the HK dvd is a joke....

Lets hope someone, someday, gives this the re-release it deserves!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, I have the Panmedia bootleg, because it's the version you describe above and has the original, uncut Cantonese audio (but it's missing the Seasonal Films logo at the beginning and has the wrong 'The End' title).

If you want, here's some contact info for Sony Pictures, let them know how we feel:

http://www.sonypictures.com

10202 West Washington Blvd

Suite 3900

Culver City, CA USA 90232

Phone:310-244-4259

David Rees

Its not just Sony but Mei Ah in HK also.

Another original soundtrack that will never see the light of day is for Snake In The Eagles Shadow.

I saw this in the cinema and it had the original Magic Fly music for the titles and lots more Jean Michelle Jarre music throughout the movie. Obviously for copyright reasons this was removed from all vhs and dvd releases as far as i know. Although it does seem strange that a lot of the Shaw releases by IVL have tons of music lifted from other films, Bond etc but are released intact?

TibetanWhiteCrane
Although it does seem strange that a lot of the Shaw releases by IVL have tons of music lifted from other films, Bond etc but are released intact?

I have often wondered about this, myself.... there seems to be no method to the madness when it comes to the use of copyrighted music in HK flicks:ooh:

Columbia's DVD has the best image overall, whilst HKVideo's DVD has the full Cantonese soundtrack. Mei Ah's DVD is a mess - its only worthy attribute is genuine subtitles.

Don't the Columbia and Mei Ah releases of 'SITES' use the original soundtrack? The HKL DVD does for the Mandarin, but uses the copyright-safe soundtrack for the English dub released under the title 'The Eagle's Shadow' for the US years ago.

huh.. interesting. I was just about to buy that Columbia DVD - top of my priorities. Anyone shed some light on where I can check out the French disc? Even if a member could hook me up .. :kiss:

David Rees

No the Columbia and Mei Ah have the original Cantonese, but some of the music has been changed from the original cinema print. DM french with subs is available from various download sites if you want to check it out.

Killer Meteor
No the Columbia and Mei Ah have the original Cantonese, but some of the music has been changed from the original cinema print. DM french with subs is available from various download sites if you want to check it out.

The Columbia DVD of SITES has the correct music for both the Cantonese and English options - Oxygene, Magic Fly, Star Wars, the lot are all present and correct.

On the HKL DVD, the Mandarin track has the correct music too, but the English dub has different music, though still of the late 70s/early 80s vintage, and was probably done for the US theatrical release. Some of it sounds like the music it replaced to a certain extent.

David Rees

Your mistaken...Magic Fly is not the original, it is a copy...also as stated some of the Jean Michelle stuff is redone too....

Killer Meteor
Your mistaken...Magic Fly is not the original, it is a copy...also as stated some of the Jean Michelle stuff is redone too....

Magic Fly does sound different but that could be the sound quality on the film. Oxygene sounds like my official album - just rather distorted and warbly.

Bronx Rican

Never should've lost my tapes. So, short answers:

Is there an original Eng. dub for DM available anywhere, for buy or otherwise? I'm DYING to "Chop-Sucky" this one for both English releases.

The version of SITES I see on youtube ("parts" 3-10, anyway) is the one I've always remembered: "Oxygene" sounds to me like the original, but I'm not that familiar with "Magic Fly" or the other stuff. Which version is this, original or otherwise?

While we're at it, The original English release of Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin... wha happa?!? What's the depressing news on its availability?

Killer Meteor
Never should've lost my tapes. So, short answers:

Is there an original Eng. dub for DM available anywhere, for buy or otherwise? I'm DYING to "Chop-Sucky" this one for both English releases.

The version of SITES I see on youtube ("parts" 3-10, anyway) is the one I've always remembered: "Oxygene" sounds to me like the original, but I'm not that familiar with "Magic Fly" or the other stuff. Which version is this, original or otherwise?

While we're at it, The original English release of Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin... wha happa?!? What's the depressing news on its availability?

The UK VHS of DM from Made In Hong Kong has the original dub.

Snake & Crane - the dub is on the Columbia DVD but that is missing 5min of footage. The HKL DVD has the full film but is badly remixed :(

David Rees

I had a very old pirate VHS of SITES from Hong Kong which broke unfortunately but i remember the soundtrack very well as i watched it many many times. Oxygene is still on there definately but other stuff is missing..very confusing...:tongue:

REGION FREE BLU RAY PLAYERS CHEAP .HERE

Archived