Thundercats Reboot

AlbertV

Cartoon Network has announced they are rebooting the 80's classic THUNDERCATS and will be giving it the anime treatment courtesy of Japan's Studio4C (THE ANIMATRIX).

Promotional Image

thundercats1.jpg

From MTV News:

Thundercats... Ho!

Lion-O and the warriors from Thundera will be back on television next year in a new animated series set to air on Cartoon Network in 2011.

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, the new "Thundercats" series will be the studio's first project to use anime-style animation, and promises to be a "21st century reimagining" of the classic '80s cartoon series.

Along with the first promotional image from the series, WBA also sent over a brand new, ridiculously cool poster announcing the series' 2011 debut.

According to the studio, the new series will appeal to both longtime fans and newcomers to the universe of Lion-O and his Thunderan brethren.

Calling it "a sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes," the studio offered some hints about what the new "Thundercats" series will involve, including "the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost."

For the project, WBA will collaborate with noted Japanese animation Studio4°C (“The Animatrix,” “Gotham Knights”), who will update the characters' look for the series.

"Thundercats" will be executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”), with Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) as producers.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thundercats..........HO!!!

I love Thundercats and I'm proud to say that I've introduced them to my boys!! Classic cartoons will never die in my house!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle this reboot.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The word REBOOT makes me throw up in my mouth a little..... as does words like REMAKE, REIMAGENING, REWORKING etc. Hey Hollywad, wake me up when you're done ass raping the 80's!

The word REBOOT makes me throw up in my mouth a little..... as does words like REMAKE, REIMAGENING, REWORKING etc. Hey Hollywad, wake me up when you're done ass raping the 80's!

Hahaha...........what you didn't like G.I. Joe or Transformers movies??? :tongue:

It could be cool, but I don't understand the use of "anime" style animation. Wasn't the original series animated by japanese staff? Most of the other Ranking/Bass cartoons were.

I did not....

I had fun watching the first Transformers...part 2.......did not like it one bit.

G.I. Joe...maybe it was because I spending the weekend at an comic convention and was in the mood for something in the vain of the TV....so I didn't hate it as much as I thought.

BUT this Thundercats cartoon better be good!!

Bronx Rican
It could be cool, but I don't understand the use of "anime" style animation. Wasn't the original series animated by japanese staff? Most of the other Ranking/Bass cartoons were.

I WTF'd at that line too. Even Batman:TAS had "anime-style" animation; one studio got kicked off the show because of it. But then, animation was my peeve with the original cartoon. Two main things turned me off of Thundercats back then: 1.) Snarf opened his mouth for the first time; 2.) The animation budget seemed to run out right after the opening titles. Seriously, has there ever been a bigger letdown? That is still one of the most fantastic openings ever, and then everyone got stiff when the ep started. Never got over that. TC still had a great concept, so if the anim's up to snuff, this "reboot" could be kinda awesome.

Jeru the Damaja
Warner Bros. has released the first official shot of the new Thundercats

thunder_gallery.jpg

That looks pretty cool. Thundercats was my favorite cartoon growing up. I hope this reboot turns out well. Studio4 C has a pretty decent track record. I believe they are also behind the Berserk anime reboot as well.

Is this going to air on the Cartoon Network?

I think the best show on Cartoon Network is Star Wars: Clone Wars the CGI is top notch. I would like to see more cartoons done that way, and I also like Thunder, Thunder,Thunder Cats growing up.

Guest Yi-Long

I also came across a different new shot for Thundercats on IGN I believe today. Or it was over at Comicbookresources or something...

You mean like the 80s reboot of GI Joe? Or the 70s reboot of Justice League as Super Friends? Let's face it when it comes to cartoons all of those words really mean "We want to sell kids these toys but they aren't going to watch shitty 80s animation."

I mean, don't get me wrong, I feel your pain to a certain point on this; based on the commercials it would seem, for example, that the new The Mechanic has little to do with Bronson's version (they dispense justice? WTF?) so why give it the same name? And why remake it, True Grit or anything else that is actually good anyway? Bringing something like Charlie's Angels to the screen is just insane. But the Star Trek: Abrams wasn't bad (although it was not really a reboot or reimagining technically) and the new Doctor Who series is good. So I can't exactly universally condemn this kind of thing. This might be okay. It all just really depends on how hot Cheetara is....

WonderCon trailer

opB2f1BUvPk

Larry Kenney, who was the voice of Lion-O in the 1980's THUNDERCATS, is the voice of King Claudus, Lion-O's dad, in the new series. The new Lion-O is voiced by Will Friedle, from BOY MEETS WORLD and was the titular voice in BATMAN BEYOND.

Archived