Ong Bak 3

Gaijin84

I was in Bangkok last week and was able to see Ong Bak 3 in the theaters. Unfortunately, confirming earlier rumors, it was quite disappointing. (Minor spoilers to follow...)

Jaa again plays Tien, beaten to a bloody pulp, but saved from execution at the last minute by a royal decree. Following the age-old kung fu plot line, he is nursed back to health by his kindly villagers and childhood love, re-trains his broken body and goes to exact revenge on the wrong-doers, including Lord Rajasena and the black magic crow wizard (Dan Chupong).

Ong Bak 3 really felt like a film that was thrown together with no real heart or passion. Jaa does look a little out of shape compared to his previous films. This doesn't stop him from performing some nice martial arts, but its simply not at the level of his past efforts. The best fight scene in my opinion belongs to Dan Chupong, who rips through a throng of the Rajasena's men in an old run-down temple. Jaa's scenes are good, but much too short to build any momentum. They feel more like training runs or outtakes from OB2. The speed and power just isn't there. His finale with Chupong is interesting only in that he incorporates traditional Thai dance into his fights, but it turns out looking more like Tai Chi or Aikido, using the opponent's force against themselves in order to deflect attacks and counter hit. It looks interesting and is a nice tag back to the previous film, but what I wanted to see was something on par with his mass destruction scenes in Tom Yum Goong and Ong Bak 2. And again, it was quite a short battle for a finale.

On the acting/story side, I know this is not the reason to see this film, but the dramatic scenes are very generic and poor. Again, you don't see any heart involved, it all seems contrived and forced. Petchtai Wongkamlao again makes an appearance as the local crazy man, but his presence is overused, pretty annoying and I found myself wishing he'd just go away by the third scene he was in.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in my opinion, Ong Bak 3 is the worst Jaa movie to date. It feels more like the contractual agreement than a full-fledged film. Perhaps if it could be edited and combined with Ong Bak 2 as an Red Cliff-length epic it would be easier to appreciate. As a stand alone film however it is mediocre.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I loved Jaa's previous 3 films and was really hoping for a worthy follow-up. I'm interested to see what others think when it hits DVD.

Nice summary Gaijin84!

Unfortunately I have a feeling you are right . But it won't be his last movie & most of the action stars have some not so good ones.

How much of the Tony shoots do you think were new material ??

Athena

Improvisation

What's up with Tony Jaa putting on the pounds? He's been losing definition with each subsequent movie, which is to be expected as he gets older, but look at guys like Donnie Yen and Mark Dacascos who are still ripped in their mid 40's.

Is he just getting fat and happy from all the money that he makes from these movies? As long as he can still whoop ass, I'm fine with it. I thought his performance in Ong Bak 2 was almost transcending at times because of how jaw-dropping the choreography was.

How much of the Tony shoots do you think were new material ??

Athena

I think all of it was new, but there was nothing we haven't seen in the first two films, save for the traditional dance incorporation. We've seen the weapons, we've seen the use of the elephant, etc. There were only a few times that I had that "ouch!" exclamation, and I'm used to about 20 of those during a Jaa film.

I don't want to make it sound like he's gotten to out-of-shape point like Seagal or something, he just didn't look as toned and fast as the previous films. There was nothing like that blistering scene from OB2 where he simultaneously fights those two guys hand-to-hand.

I saw the film last Monday at a matinee - there were about 7 people in the entire theater. I'm not sure how long it's been out over there, but that seemed a bit sparse, even for a weekday showing.

Tony Jaa got old to me quick (not talking literally). But by the time i was done with the first Ong Bak, I already had enough. I've seen most of his films since then, and I'm just unimpressed.

I'll take Jackie Chan's late 70's/80's/Early 90's flicks over Jaa (or any new martial arts film) ANY day.

That's magic.

Thanks, Gaijin84...

Tony Jaa got old to me quick (not talking literally). But by the time i was done with the first Ong Bak, I already had enough. I've seen most of his films since then, and I'm just unimpressed. I have seen all of his films since then, but just kinda eh...

I'll take Jackie Chan's late 70's/80's/Early 90's flicks over Jaa (or any new martial arts film) ANY day. Besides the fight scenes, these films had a lot more going for them.

I just wish Jaa can make a modern flick. I'm sorta over his wearing rags and swinging around elephants or whatever.

One Armed Boxer
I think all of it was new, but there was nothing we haven't seen in the first two films, save for the traditional dance incorporation.

What about the stuff from the 'Ong Bak 2' trailer that wasn't actually in the movie?

Specifically, there's a bunch of small clips from 3:18 that arn't in the movie, the white shirted Jaa, the flying knee from one elephant to a guy with a spear on another elephant, and a guy being kicked from the top of one elephant into another...wow, I just typed 'elephant' a lot!

2vthwtyCkOA

What about the stuff from the 'Ong Bak 2' trailer that wasn't actually in the movie?

Specifically, there's a bunch of small clips from 3:18 that arn't in the movie, the white shirted Jaa, the flying knee from one elephant to a guy with a spear on another elephant, and a guy being kicked from the top of one elephant into another...wow, I just typed 'elephant' a lot!

The white shirted Jaa yes, but I don't specifically remember the other two being in OB3. There is a guy being kicked from one elephant to another, but it is part of the white shirted scene if I remember correctly.

You can see it in the teaser trailer:

nPrfBcoVmbc

Thanks for the review Gaijin while it sucks to hear Tony Jaa appears to be coasting through this movie it's nice to hear that Dan Chupong still has a fire inside to make great movies and fight scenes.

I still can't wait to see it as I remember lots of mixed reviews even for Ong Bak 2...but of course as someone who loved his other 3 movies..........and based on what you wrote...I can see how you would feel a little flat and disappointed with the movie.

Here's hoping there is a director's cut or something......:neutral:

The Dragon
Thanks, Gaijin84...

Tony Jaa got old to me quick (not talking literally). But by the time i was done with the first Ong Bak, I already had enough. I've seen most of his films since then, and I'm just unimpressed. I have seen all of his films since then, but just kinda eh...

I'll take Jackie Chan's late 70's/80's/Early 90's flicks over Jaa (or any new martial arts film) ANY day. Besides the fight scenes, these films had a lot more going for them.

I just wish Jaa can make a modern flick. I'm sorta over his wearing rags and swinging around elephants or whatever.

That's what happens when you try to "hit a home run with every action scene."

That's also why Bruce Lee's action choreography worked so well with audiences... He gave you tempo, built the action toward a climax. Not make all the action an orgasmic experience. Audience need time to absorb what they are experiencing.

Just my opinion.

:angel:

Exactly, couldn't have said it better.

Every fight in Ong Bak 2 was a climax. Between that and the drama, I went nuts.

The problem I had with Bruce Lee 's fights is that he only completed 4 films. Screwin around with Betty Ting Pei too much...

TibetanWhiteCrane

To Dragon....

For once I agree with you, about ANYTHING:smile:

The thai flicks blow their full load in the the first five minutes, and the rest is just repeats!

It's like watching a Peter North compilation. After the first load, it's just not special anymore.

It's like watching a Peter North compilation. After the first load, it's just not special anymore.

Hi-yo!!!!!! :tongue:

That being wrote..I do agree........:angel:

• Like 1

Improvisation

It's too early to say now, but with Tony heading to the monkhood, I think Dan Chupong will move in for the muay thai spotlight.

That being said, as much as I loved the Ong Bak series, I was ready for Tony Jaa to quit making Ong Bak's and just do a super traditional, gritty, no-holds-barred traditional muay thai/muay boran movie. One where he wraps his fists and enters a muay thai boxing tournament, where we could see his skills at their very most exposed.

Think 'Beautiful Boxer' except with less of an emphasis on emotional discovery and more on the art of muay thai and its ceremonies.

I think it'd be a huge hit. Has any such movie been made? And would be Chupong be skilled enough to do it? Or would they need a real thai boxer like they did with Beautiful Boxer (Asanee Suwan)?

When i see something good from Chupong i will be amazed.:tongue: No power there, in my opinion. I think Tony needs to come back stepping it up a notch.:tongue:

It's too early to say now, but with Tony heading to the monkhood, I think Dan Chupong will move in for the muay thai spotlight.

That being said, as much as I loved the Ong Bak series, I was ready for Tony Jaa to quit making Ong Bak's and just do a super traditional, gritty, no-holds-barred traditional muay thai/muay boran movie. One where he wraps his fists and enters a muay thai boxing tournament, where we could see his skills at their very most exposed.

Think 'Beautiful Boxer' except with less of an emphasis on emotional discovery and more on the art of muay thai and its ceremonies.

I think it'd be a huge hit. Has any such movie been made? And would be Chupong be skilled enough to do it? Or would they need a real thai boxer like they did with Beautiful Boxer (Asanee Suwan)?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I almost want him to take it further away from Muay Thai and just do a pure action flick, maybe with a non-Thai director. I don't mind Luc Besson, but we've already seen Jet Li take that route. He needs a high-profile director that would respect what he can do and not make things cheesy. Maybe a move to Hong Kong? I really think he needs a change of scenery both mentally and business-wise.

I think Chupong has the goods. I thought he was great in Born to Fight, Dynamite Warrior, and hell he looked cool for like 3 minutes in Ong Bak 2!!! :tongue:

I think Jaa and Chupong should made a buddy cop action movie....both show off what they got.

But if that's not going to happen I too would like to see Jaa get a change of scenery and directors and action coordinator!!

Gaijin84... thank you for your fair review rather than sites that just want to bash Tony.

Ong bak 2 received many mixed reviews with some saying that Jaa's magic had gone but i fell in love with it. Yes, the story is cliched and all but the outstanding production values, cinematography and score really brought it all together. The fight scenes were fantastic and varied with weapons and different styles. Jaa was in excellent form. The only problem was it ended very abruptly.

I will still enjoy Ong bak 3 as much if not more cause i have been waiting so long for it. My expectations have lowered but i am a Jaa fan and am eagerly waiting to see it!!

daisho2004

Listen I don't mind a buddy cop movie as long as it sticks to a serious note and stays away from comedy! I think Tony should just stick to what he does best and fights! Yes I would like to see someone like a John Woo cast him in a Big Budget HK Flick, or even see Tony play a ruthless villain would be great as well. Either way I think his movies are awesome as far as the action goes!

Wow, the best movie I can think of that fits this description is "Muay Thai Chaiya":

_tejWz439L4

Listen I don't mind a buddy cop movie as long as it sticks to a serious note and stays away from comedy! I think Tony should just stick to what he does best and fights! Yes I would like to see someone like a John Woo cast him in a Big Budget HK Flick, or even see Tony play a ruthless villain would be great as well. Either way I think his movies are awesome as far as the action goes!

daisho2004 !

I have to agree with you there, I think TJ is excellent despite this movie maybe not being all the way up there with the rest !

IMO he is the best current real action star ( with emphasis on action !) there is. Like if you want to use the ( silly ) who could beat who scenario -> Tony Jaa would just "run up the wall' & drop down on his head while Donnie Yen was still striking a COOL POSE !

& don't get me wrong I am a big admirer of DY, I only use this hypothetical scenario to highlight the fact that I think TJ has a HARDCORE flare I think most of the other guys are missing !!

Athena

Ong bak 2 received many mixed reviews with some saying that Jaa's magic had gone but i fell in love with it. Yes, the story is cliched and all but the outstanding production values, cinematography and score really brought it all together. The fight scenes were fantastic and varied with weapons and different styles. Jaa was in excellent form. The only problem was it ended very abruptly.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Tony's original idea (at least I think it was) to have the two films actually be one 2+ hour movie would have been the right way to go. Unfortunately, when producers get involved and people are looking to maximize $, you get bad decisions, hence why I think Tony left the set under a dark cloud during filming. The original is 110 min in its original "director's cut" version, and OB3 is about 95 min. I saw this mentioned on another site, but there are multiple scenes that can be edited from both to make a single film. I highly recommend watching OB2 right before seeing OB3, as they are so closely related that if you removed the credits and the final shot of the bearded Jaa (which is in OB3), you could go right into the opening scene of OB3 without skipping a beat. There is also an overall feeling of Tien finding his calling and coming full circle to where he started when he was dropped off by his father to learn the traditional dance. This would have worked much better if it was fresh in the viewer's mind, rather than in a movie released a year later. Perhaps after all is said and done, Tony and Panna can go back to the footage, remove about 15-20 min from OB2 and 45+ min from OB3 and make a 140-145 minute classic. They certainly have enough to work with, and the final result could easily be one the best films we've seen.

Perhaps after all is said and done, Tony and Panna can go back to the footage, remove about 15-20 min from OB2 and 45+ min from OB3 and make a 140-145 minute classic. They certainly have enough to work with, and the final result could easily be one the best films we've seen.

Gaijin84 You really are BRILLIANT you know that ?!

Athena :kiss:

Gaijin84 You really are BRILLIANT you know that ?!

Athena :kiss:

Thanks, but when you see OB3 its pretty apparent. I'm not that smart :nerd: