The magic braid (1986)

fiol

The Magic Braid (神鞭)

15445116.jpg

Dir: Zien Zhang

Cast: Baoguo Chen , Yawei Wang, Shouli Xu , Yan Zhang , Xing Zheng

Trailer:

Last night i watched this old mainland flick (based on a novel of 冯骥才). The movie is not that great but the fight scenes were quite good (especially because the main character (Yawei Wang) used his long plait as weapon). The battle between the chinese and the foreign devils (as they are called in this movie eheh) is too long and boring, they should have cut it a little bit (the only thing that i appreciated there was the song played as background).

Before the battle, there was a martial arts exhibition where a guy imitates the monkey king (like in one Shaw Brothers movie that i forgot the name xD).

Overall , if u have the chance, check it out.

PS: the mainland dvd HAS english subtitles

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whitesnake

Where did you get a copy of this movie that was playable? I went through 2 DVDs of this, and they both skipped so badly that I was unable to view the last half of the movie. What pieces that I could watch were entertaining. I also read a published translation of the story the movie is based on, The Miraculous Pigtail by Feng Jicai. I know how the story ends. How did the film end?

Where did you get a copy of this movie that was playable? I went through 2 DVDs of this, and they both skipped so badly that I was unable to view the last half of the movie. What pieces that I could watch were entertaining. I also read a published translation of the story the movie is based on, The Miraculous Pigtail by Feng Jicai. I know how the story ends. How did the film end?

yes the movie is based on that novel (as i stated in my post .. 冯骥才 is Feng JiCai in pinyin xP). I have to say that my dvd start skipping in my dvdplayer after 56mins,so i tried with another player and it worked till the nearly end, then i had to watch the ending on my PC. :xd:

anyway the movie ends like this:

after the battle between the chinese and the foreigns, you see Sha'Er walking through the battlefield and crying for his lost friends..after that the movie just go directly to the "cut your plait" part where the father of Sha'er's lover goes crazy cause of the hair cut (ordered by Sanye). In the end, SanYe fall in the Sha'er & lover's vengeance trap and here you see Sha'er with his guns, no more long plait just two western style guns.After the gun exhibition Sha'er says something about martial arts that i don't remember, then SanYe just start crying like a baby.... the end.

I got a bootleg in toronto's chinatown that played okay. This was a cool movie. I like the vibe of mainland productions.

whitesnake

Thank you for the ending. That's how I remember the story ends. I can't read the Chinese characters, but did want to mention that the story is available in English translation. Another good swordplay movie from the director of The Magic Braid is Knight of the Yellow River. At least that DVD played without skipping. Anyway, that's another recommended mainland title. I ordered it from China Books and Periodicals.

Thank you for the ending. That's how I remember the story ends. I can't read the Chinese characters, but did want to mention that the story is available in English translation. Another good swordplay movie from the director of The Magic Braid is Knight of the Yellow River. At least that DVD played without skipping. Anyway, that's another recommended mainland title. I ordered it from China Books and Periodicals.

Knight Of The Yellow River is this one: http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp/ref=sr_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&s=video&qid=1275512582&asin=B001LK7BKK&sr=8-1 ?

if so... i will buy it :)

Knight of the Yellow River is aka Yellow River Fighter. Both of these are very good mainland films; Yellow River fighter moreso for the action, but the Magic Braid is probably the best depiction of the Boxer Rebellion I've ever seen.

whitesnake

Yes, that is the dvd cover for Knight of the Yellow River. I'd never heard of it, but the cover looked interesting in the China Books online catalog. It also has English subtitles. So maybe if I try watching The Magic Braid on my computer, I could see the part about the Boxer Rebellion? That part is skipped over when on the DVD player.

Yes, that is the dvd cover for Knight of the Yellow River. I'd never heard of it, but the cover looked interesting in the China Books online catalog. It also has English subtitles. So maybe if I try watching The Magic Braid on my computer, I could see the part about the Boxer Rebellion? That part is skipped over when on the DVD player.

well..why don't you try? I think that the Boxer Rebellion part is one of the deepest scene in this movie, also thanks to the musicians in the backgrounds leading the soundtrack for the battle.

I will but the Knight of the Yellow River's dvd for sure..and yes it has english subtitles :)

but that edition doesnt even have the original language... if u have the chance go for the mainland rls

Thanks for bringing this to my attention fiol. Have you seen

Someone start a mainland china thread.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention fiol. Have you seen
Someone start a mainland china thread.

not yet... but the mainland dvd (it doesnt have eng subs) will be mine soon ^^

not yet... but the mainland dvd (it doesnt have eng subs) will be mine soon ^^

There are many chinese youtube-ish kinda sites where you can watch clips of these films, like Magic Legs to preview them. Run google searches with chinese characters & you'll find tons of movies.

There are many chinese youtube-ish kinda sites where you can watch clips of these films, like Magic Legs to preview them. Run google searches with chinese characters & you'll find tons of movies.

i know.. and i also know where to watch the full lenght movie :P

but since there is the legal version why should i watch em online?

also the quality... the dvd is far better XD

i know.. and i also know where to watch the full lenght movie :P

but since there is the legal version why should i watch em online?

also the quality... the dvd is far better XD

I use it for previewing things, to see if the fights & story are any good. After, I grab the DVD!

The World Video dvd of Yellow River Fighter has an english dub and a mandarin lang with removable eng subs option. I have it.

The World Video dvd of Yellow River Fighter has an english dub and a mandarin lang with removable eng subs option. I have it.

You sure it has Eng subs? I have that version and mine has no subs at all.

I use it for previewing things, to see if the fights & story are any good. After, I grab the DVD!

i too watched some of this stuff but then again to me it doesnt matter since the dvd/vcd i buy are quite cheap so if the movie sucks i d have lost just a few bucks :tongue:

You sure it has Eng subs? I have that version and mine has no subs at all.

kaleyboy, Hey there !!

Good to see you again ..I have a copy of the same one ( Got it from my brother in Norway), but mine has non removable burnt in subs...How can that be with the same release ? Pirate copy ??

Xiexie Athena ...

PS . How is the Tigress & the other coming along my friend ??

Archived