A MAN CALLED TIGER - Opening Scene Question

mpm74

vs.

One of these appears to be from the English VHS tape (I think).

My question is, which one appears on the FS DVD?

And while we're at it, is this movie any good?

Is it true that Bruce Lee was supposed to be in this film, before the fall out between him and Lo Wei (after Fists of Fury)? I heard the same story about Yellow Faced Tiger.

I'm getting mixed signals here...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpm74

• Killer Meteor

• Jack J

• shukocarl

The way I understand it is Bruce was offered the Man Called Tiger (then titled STERN FACED TIGER) but refused the script and didn't want to work with Lo Wei again. It then got a name change to YELLOW FACED TIGER before settling on the one we know.

Then, YELLOW FACED TIGER got attached to another Lo Wei project, again with the hope that Lee would star and set in the U.S. That film is more widely known as SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO which, if I'm correct started shooting just after Lee's death.

Guest Markgway

There appears to be three major versions of A MAN CALLED TIGER:

74 mins (Joy Sales DVD), 105 mins (Joy Sales VCD), 112 mins (VHS).

Wow, so i guess this secures the fact that JS takes their VCDs/DVDs from two separate prints/masters... what a f'ed up, inconsisten situation.

As for the VHS, I imagine you're talking about the HK vhs tape, and not the 80's tape that's only 70 min.

Do we know what is cut? Also, Which one has which opening?

P.S. Thanks for clearing that up, Carl.

Just got done watching this movie.

It's crazy how much footage, which was both in the trailer and on the 2nd youtube clip, didn't make it into the version I just viewed (DVD, joy sales).

Funny thing I noticed:

Bruce turned this down, to make "Way of the Dragon," which explains why every cast member from "Big Boss" and "Fist of Fury" was in A MAN CALLED TIGER, with the exception of Nora Miao, Unicorn Chan, Lau Wing and Wong Chung Shun (not to mention the obvious, Lo Wei himself).

Anyways, Tiger was a very so-so movie. What made it interesting is the setting and the fact that Bruce Lee actually watched this one! lol Was it me, or was this plot a little confusing?

* Anyone else know of any Hong Kong movies filmed in Japan around this time?

Wang Yu aslo starred in SEAMAN NO. 7 (aka SEVEN MAGNIFICENT FIGHTS) filmed in Japan around the same time. I've not seen it in ages but I think Maria Yi, Li Kun and James Tien (as a blonde bad guy!) star in it.

There appears to be three major versions of A MAN CALLED TIGER:

74 mins (Joy Sales DVD), 105 mins (Joy Sales VCD), 112 mins (VHS).

Mark, which 112 VHS version did you mean? Thanks.

Shaolin Chamber 36

Just wanted to let those of you who may be interested know that Brother Ma has made an excellent DVD cover of this movie, as well as a bunch more Wang Yu films, all available for download on my site.

ManCalledTiger_Mahsingyi_SC36jpg.jpg

Guest Markgway
Mark, which 112 VHS version did you mean? Thanks.

Might have been the US VHS import? I haven't seen that extended verison myself. Rumour suggests it came from Taiwan. Someone here is bound to have seen it.

Might have been the US VHS import? I haven't seen that extended verison myself. Rumour suggests it came from Taiwan. Someone here is bound to have seen it.

I have it transferred to DVD. Not got round to watching it yet.

karatemoviecom

Their was 2 cuts

a english dubbed print, which was 112 minutes,

and the HK print- with a different opening that ran for 90 minutes- The Tai Seng version!

Their was 2 cuts

a english dubbed print, which was 112 minutes,

and the HK print- with a different opening that ran for 90 minutes- The Tai Seng version!

The Fortune Star DVD only runs 74 minutes! The beginning is a girl singing at a night club. On YouTube there's a different beginning of Jimmy Wang Yu fighting different guys. The uploader states his version is from a Taiwan vhs.

Thanks, Mark. And in regards to the dubbed print: There may very well be a 112m version but the US NTSC tape I've seen listed on different sites said 70m. I don't have the tape (yet) so needless to says that could be faulty info on the cover.

Guest Markgway

According to the OFDB the subbed tapes from Rainbow Audio & Video Inc (Mandarin) and Embassy (Cantonese dub) ran just under 112m. The Embassy English dub is just under 79m.