Takashi Miike 13 Assassins remake

whitesnake

whitesnake

Far East Films (www.fareastfilms.com) for today has the trailer for 13 Assassins, Takashi Miike's remake of the 1963 film, about "thirteen assassins who undertake a suicide mission to kill an evil young lord." The trailer looks awesome. Japanese release date is

25 September 2010.

The site also has a trailer for Hisshiken Torisashi, the latest film adaptation for Shuhei Fujisawa's "Hidden Blade" series, with a Japanese release date of 10 July 2010.

It appears the Japanese samurai film isn't so dead after all.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miike is so hit or miss I never know what to expect. I hope he leaves all the childish stuff out and creates a serious samurai film that can stand up to the original.

waywardsage

yeah, i'm not a huge fan of Miike. But it would be cool if he cold make a serious samurai film. With a ton of action! The trailer looks good. Here's hoping that i'll really end up being a decent film.

This looks like its going to be an excellent movie, I cannot wait to see it. It saying it is going to be released in September.

So. Has anyone seen this or heard anything about it? The trailer looked pretty decent, especially for a Miike movie.

Only everything from "masterpiece," to the "best samurai movie of the last 10 years" to "Miike's best in a very long, long time." The worst i've heard is it being inconsequential until the final hour of battle scenes, which were then described as pure, cinematic bliss.

so yeah, i've heard a few things.

BlackLamaFaction

I personally don't think Miike could tie Eiichi Kudo's shoelaces. I have seen the 3 three films in Kudo's Samurai Revolution Trilogy and these films are perfect. I mean the ending of The Great Duel was the most amazing 20 minutes of film I've ever seen, granted 13 Assassins and 11 Samurai were primarily the same story, they still each were remarkably directed by Kudo. Miike sure had some huge shoes to fill on this one. The best thing he could have done in my opinion is forget the original and just do the film his own way. I would still love to see it.

I like Kudo's original too but there are so few samurai films made anymore, let alone good ones, that even a remake of a classic is welcome. Especially if it's the kick in the butt a director like Miike needed. He hasn't really made many good things since going mainstream and big-budget.

Let us also not forget Kudo's 13 Assassins is basically a remake of the Seven Samurai anyway.

BlackLamaFaction
I like Kudo's original too but there are so few samurai films made anymore, let alone good ones, that even a remake of a classic is welcome. Especially if it's the kick in the butt a director like Miike needed. He hasn't really made many good things since going mainstream and big-budget.

Let us also not forget Kudo's 13 Assassins is basically a remake of the Seven Samurai anyway.

I was not aware 13 assassins was inspired by Seven Samurai. From my point of view there were very few parallels in the respective stories. Seven Samurai was about farmers who sought out and hired a group of ronin to help them protect their village from raiding outlaws. 13 Assassins on the other hand was about a shogunate adviser who seeks help from a highly respected samurai (and 12 men of his choosing) to assassinate the homicidal, insanely tyrannical brother of the Shogun. The only obvious similarity I noticed was how the final battle takes place in a village that has been strategically set up with traps and other obstacles to help give the greatly outnumbered good guys an advantage. Also Seven Samurai was very much about the dynamic of the relationship between farmer and samurai in feudal society and each sides mistrust or contempt for the other. These elements are completely absent from 13 Assassins.

I'm not assuming that it is your assertion that 13 Assassins is basically a remake of Seven Samurai, and I freely admit that a lot of films from this genre sometimes have similarly inspired plots. For example;11 Samurai (another Eiichi Kudo film) I thought was very much the same as 13 Assassins, and who can forget the myriad films from this period telling the story of the Shinsengumi. I am only saying that in this particular instance I disagree with the statement that 13 Assassins is basically a remake of Seven Samurai.

OpiumKungFuCracker

It's actually a remake of the original version from 1963, which is just as good as the Miike's version...

You can pick up a copy at http://kurotokagi.com/

13assassins.jpg

13 ASSASSINS

Jusan-Nin no Shikaku - 1963 - B/W - 16:9 Widescreen - Extras

Receiving a confidential order from a senior executive of the Tokugawa Sshogunate, 13 samurai warriors set about plotting to assassinate Matsudaira Nariaki, chief of the Akashi feudal clan who is extraordinarily cruel and lewd. The group has 60 days to achieve the goal by ambushing the Akashi procession returning from Edo after a one-year attendance. How can the 13 assassins, who are given only one chance and not allowed to fail, engage the 53-person procession and kill Nariaki? The assassins thrilling plan and actions reach the climax in a war of slaughter depicted with breathtaking, heroic reality.

Directed by: KUDO Eiichi

Cast: KATAOKA Chiezo, SATOMI Kotaro, ARASHI Kanjuro, FUJI Junko, TANBA Tetsuro

BlackLamaFaction
It's actually a remake of the original version from 1963, which is just as good as the Miike's version...

You can pick up a copy at http://kurotokagi.com/

13assassins.jpg

I don't understand. Is this directed towards me? I was referring to the original version by Eiichi Kudo. The Samurai Revolution Trilogy released by Wildside which includes 11 Samurai and The Great Duel as well, is a really great set. I have never seen Miike's version of the film so i don't know how it compared. I was mearly questioning someone else's statement that Eiichi Kudo's 13 Assassins was based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. I failed to see any real connection.

OpiumKungCracker if your response was not directed towards my earlier post, I am sorry for the confusion. Please disregard.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I don't understand. Is this directed towards me? I was referring to the original version by Eiichi Kudo. The Samurai Revolution Trilogy released by Wildside which includes 11 Samurai and The Great Duel as well, is a really great set. I have never seen Miike's version of the film so i don't know how it compared. I was mearly questioning someone else's statement that Eiichi Kudo's 13 Assassins was based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. I failed to see any real connection.

OpiumKungCracker if your response was not directed towards my earlier post. I am sorry for the confusion. Please disregard.

I just threw it out there as a reference, not directed towards anyone specifically...

It's cool bro, but if you guys wanna see the original, I highly recommend it/ I loved it!!!

Saw this at the cinemas today (it got a limited release, presumably because it's coming out on DVD/Bluray at some point). I thought it was great, definitely the best samurai film I've seen in some time.

Having won free tickets made no difference, I loved this film. I might not wait for a local release. Might have to import the bluray.

Archived