Funimation Blu rays?

waywardsage

waywardsage

With the release of the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Anime on Blu ray, does this mean Funimation is in the Blu ray business? I'd hate to kill the Shaw DVD releases by not buying. But i'm pretty much completely converted to Blu ray. It'd be a step back to buy DVD's now.

I just don't want to be stuck with a bunch of DVD's in a year i payed good money for if in 6 months to a year they will have Blu's out of the same films.

Anyones thoughts on this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu
With the release of the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Anime on Blu ray, does this mean Funimation is in the Blu ray business? I'd hate to kill the Shaw DVD releases by not buying. But i'm pretty much completely converted to Blu ray. It'd be a step back to buy DVD's now.

I just don't want to be stuck with a bunch of DVD's in a year i payed good money for if in 6 months to a year they will have Blu's out of the same films.

Anyones thoughts on this?

Actually, if you have a Blu-ray player with the up-convert enhancement for DVDs, you're doing OK, either way!... If the newest Funimation Shaw DVDs continue to show improvement in quality (beyond the reissues of The 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock), there's a chance prospective BD Shaw reissues will follow suit--as long as they go 1080p!:tongue: Their Shaw BDs might look as good as Tokyo Shock's The Deadly Duo BD; just expect no "extras" being added to these BD versions (IF Funimation does Shaw BDs)! Overall, always consider that the availability of Shaw movies, PERIOD, may be limited; they may not have multiple print runs like, say, Casablanca! There are some suggestions that it's a matter of time before the window of availability for these movies may begin to close, and that includes all US titles, as well as the imports I've (FINALLY) started collecting!:squigglemouth: Get what you like, when you can, as SOON as you can! The current prices for these DVDs (import and domestic) are reasonable, so buy 'em right away, always keeping an open eye out for sales! (I just got a copy of Young People, a Ti Lung/David Chiang film, for $9.95 at Five Star Laser.) If you're still not sure, buy the Funimation DVDs of your choice, while setting aside money for possible future BD releases!:angel: Of course, if you go to the right source, you can preview these various titles that interest you by renting them....

BigDruDogg

Funi's been releasing blu ray since the beginning of 09

But rest assured they will not be releasing any Blu-Ray Shaws! I've been following them on there blog, and there receiving very poor distribution on there Shaw Flicks, and the sales are pretty dreadful.

I personally hope they can make it through the rest of there list, there usually pretty good at that though...

and there receiving very poor distribution on there Shaw Flicks, and the sales are pretty dreadful.

That is just terrible BigDruDogg !!!!

How poor distribution & how dreadful sales are we talking about ? Is the blog on their website ?

Xiexie Athena

BigDruDogg

http://blog.funimation.com/

Well from what I gather, every best buy/ FYE only receive about 4 copies of each Funimation Shaw flick.. And they have zero promotion for a casual fan. So they were doomed to begin with IMO. The demand for old school Shaw films aren't very high.. Only a select few follow the cult favorites IE 5 deadly venoms/ 36 chambers.. But to the common buyer "Iron Bodyguard" looks unrecognizable, there for it won't create any nestolgia or buzz..

I for one, buy every Shaw movie I can get my hands on, and try to get my friends and family to support also...but unfortunately its a very small niche fan-base...

Morgoth Bauglir

Shaolin Handlock and 14 Amazons have been in stock at Best Buy since they came out, but for some reason HK Godfather hasn’t shown up, at least not at the BB’s in my area. I figure the general audience find HKG more appealing than the other 2 titles, but I guess Funimation doesn’t see it that way.

BigDruDogg

for some reasons my best buy(s) got a bunch of Shaolin Handlock an 14 Amazons also...

But I have yet to see Opium, Godfathers, Invincible Shaolin, or Life Gamble... Not saying they never got them.. but it's weird

I've only seen the later films for sale at FYE... Maybe it's because I live in country Colorado Springs...

masterofoneinchpunch
Shaolin Handlock and 14 Amazons have been in stock at Best Buy since they came out, but for some reason HK Godfather hasn’t shown up, at least not at the BB’s in my area. I figure the general audience find HKG more appealing than the other 2 titles, but I guess Funimation doesn’t see it that way.

This is the same in Modesto California's BB (and Riverbank I checked there too). I had to buy HK Godfather online. They did not have Opium, Invincible Shaolin, or Life Gamble either.

Fang Shih-yu
I, for one, buy every Shaw movie I can get my hands on...but unfortunately, it's a very small niche fan-base...

Indeed, this sums up what seems to separate us [including everyone on these forums] from, say, Star Wars fans: NUMBERS!:squigglemouth: We are lucky any American companies ever picked up distribution rights to what Shaw movies have been released stateside, not to mention the current affordability of "all-region" DVD players and import DVDs! This is why we should get whatever interests us in all things Shaw Brothers NOW before they go "out-of-print"!:cry: True, there will ALWAYS be people offering secondary copies of these movies, but if you want to go "the whole nine yards" (right down to the special packaging), don't wait forever to get Shaw DVDs and BDs....

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah no doubt brotha Fang. I'm glad I got the BCI Opium DVD about 5 months ago. Since then the price has raised from $10 to $100 in the new/used section on Amazon!

If anyone wants this DVD let me know. I'll cut you a deal and sel it to you for $80. :smile:

waywardsage

For some reason, the Best Buys in my area don't stock ANY of the funimation Shaw releases.

Fang Shih-yu
i found opium on blu-ray at best buy in newmarket, ontario but nothing else
You mean a BCI Blu-ray, right?:ooh:

Fang Shih-yu

That BCI BD isn't easily found! You are lucky to have gotten one from somewhere other than an online site! Long drives to some places rarely result in a good outcome for me!:cry:

theres a BCI blu-ray of OPIUM at a store about two blocks from where i live--brand new--i believe it $22. i bought the regular dvd as i don't have a blu-ray player. is the BR now a collectors item or something ?:tongue:

The Dragon
theres a BCI blu-ray of OPIUM at a store about two blocks from where i live--brand new--i believe it $22. i bought the regular dvd as i don't have a blu-ray player. is the BR now a collectors item or something ?:tongue:

Would you be willing to "pick it up", and sell it to someone here?:crossedlips:

:angel:

:bigsmile:

Fang Shih-yu

As far as I know, this is yet to be the case, but the passage of time should play some sort of "catch up" as the remainder of copies get purchased. The fact that Opium is the first Shaw movie to be made available on BD will make it a collectible, for sure; at the very least, it's a nice bit of trivia to tell all your friends!:wink:

Kung Foolery

Got my copy on ebay last week.

$12.50 with free shipping.

Only 2 bids.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Archived