Shaw Brothers: the OTHER films on DVD! What's good?

Fang Shih-yu

Fang Shih-yu

Contrary to what some movie fans might think. there was more to Shaw Brothers than those many, many martial arts movies they made! They also made films which covered other genres, including comedies, [straight] dramas, musicals, Chinese Operas, romances, horror and exploitation. IVL has reissued SEVERAL of these "other" Shaws on Region 3 DVD imports, while the American companies Image and MediaBlasters have released merely a handful of these beause they think (more or less) most non-martial-arts titles won't fly off the racks quickly, if at all! Considering these additional "genre" pictures sometimes STAR actors found in those same martial arts movies, such as Cheng Pei-Pei, Yueh Hua, Ivy Ling Po, Ku Feng, etc, I feel those who can buy (or get access to) "Region 3's" should try one of these "other" films, if only for a change of pace! Who knows? You may go back to your favorite store (physical or online) again and again for MORE of them!:wink: So it goes that I ordered The House of 72 Tenants, the "all-star" Chor Yuen comedy, from YesAsia the other day; by virtue of Bey Logan's involvement on this DVD alone, this disc should be an essential purchase for a Shaw fan! What few reviews I have read for it indicate it's a decent movie that helped to change the course of Hong Kong moviemaking (by the usage of Cantonese) for years to come!... Has anyone else seen this? How about any other Shaws of the kinds listed above? What are the "good buys":bigsmile: and what are the "rents":sad:?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just kidding dear Brother Fang!

But seriously I love Black Magic !!! Way cool ,but you can't call the " action " MA. So I continued down that road with Corpse Mania ,but since Necrophilia ,rotting corpses, endless worms & maggots is not my biggest turn on it is not my most watched movie .

I think however if you like stylish horror ->SHAW HORROR IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO !

( & the storyline is not bad ..Hm maybe I should watch it again...It is a bad thunderstorm coming my way tonight ,I am all alone & way outside the city limit. Yes I think that is the thing to watch when electricity goes & I only have my Laptop battery as company..Should make for a cozy evening ...:xd::wink::tongue:..!!!!!!!)

Athena.. THE END !

Fang Shih-yu
...But seriously I love Black Magic !!! Way cool ,but you can't call the " action " MA. So I continued down that road with Corpse Mania...

Athena!... Black Magic is crazy and over-the-top fun, with some stuff that--even in 2010--will gross out some! (HELPFUL HINT #79: Never let a feminist view the scenes of lactating women being, um, milked!:wink:) I've yet to pick up Corpse Mania, but I do have an earlier work from the same director: The Killer Snakes (...and the two [uncredited] kimodo dragons, lest we forget); that one really evokes a mood, and it's more "sleazy" than Black Magic! The ACTUAL killing of snakes cannnot help but to give it more shock value! It's a highly derivative "knock-off" of Willard that actually plays well, and this feeling comes from someone who doesn't watch a lot of horror movies!:squigglemouth: (The "time capsule" quality of this movie is cool, especially the sequence set in an actual Shaw-owned movie theater!) As for a great example of a Shaw exploitation picture (there are some martial arts in it, but they aren't vital to the story), I have the Image DVD of The Kiss of Death, with Chen Ping and Lo Lieh! It was better than I thought it would be, though I had to shower after watching it!:tongue:

Archived