Question about Fortune Star VCDs

mpm74

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

I have Mr Vampire on VCD from Fortune Star and it is widescreen with easy to read subs. Not much help i Know, but they seem to be pretty good.They aren't as good as IVL VCD's but certainly watchable.

No, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I just want to make sure they're not those old school VCD's with burnt in titles...

Why do these companies even bother putting VCD's out only for certain titles? I mean, they're like, 1/2 way there... why not go full force and put out DVDs as well! Sooner or later, they're gonna sell.

It's not like any of these movies are as bad as Atari E.T. cartridge, where they had to finally resort to burying them in the desert to get rid of them!

it seems like a lot of FS that originally comes out on VCD ends up coming out on DVD later - am I right ? I've only been around this stuff for a little while but I've read old DVD review threads where people are like "oh, that was originally only a VCD" .. so possibly you want to wait ?I don't know. Then again the investment on these VCDs is practically nil so hell pull the trigger check 'em out ! :angel:

The Joy Sales VCDs tend to have the theatrical versions with the old English/Chinese subtitles, but for those without, there's new embedded Chinese (only) subtitles.

They're generally widescreen.

Great, I'm torn.

Hmmm...

Okay, the ones I want to order are:

Naughty Naughty!

Story of Daisy

Kung Fu Kid

Any word on these particular titles?

Morgoth Bauglir

I have about 10 Joy Sales VCDs. They are all widescreen and have burnt in subs, except for Rebellious Reign which has no English subs, and like Chen Lung says it only has newly added Chinese subs. The Champions is the only one I remember having major problems with because the subs go below the screen a lot. Also Gold Hunters the subs are really hard to read on my small TV, but on a big TV they show up fine.

Sorry mpm74 I don't have the titles you are asking about.

I'm not crazy about them. If you watch them on a old tube TV they don't look bad, but on an LCD screen they give me a bit of a headache.

Thanks for the help guys...

Well, I'm gonna get some films and hope for the best I guess. =D

kungfusamurai

I recall them also having burnt in subs, both english and chinese. I wonder, are they using two different prints to master their VCDs and DVDs? The DVDs have removable subs, and the VCDs look like the subs were burned in from back in the day, not recently. So I think they use different prints.

This was different with the IVL Shaw VCDs, which had the subs put on recently, so I believe the VCDs and DVDs were sourced from the same print.

KFS

Why do they put them in the "Legendary Collection" box then. Makes it look like I'm getting something good, when it's the same 'ol song and dance. :(

Well, gonna place an order and hope for the best.

Thanks again..

Next question, what place do you guys usually order from that has this stuff in stock?

I'm looking at yesasia right now, which, for the most part, looks like they have all I want.

Have you guys ever ordered from them? If so, how are they? Shipping, etc.

If not, what are my other choices?

*I usually go with hkflix, but they don't have a lot of it in stock at this time. Five Star Laser doesn't have much of a stock either.

I placed my second YesAsia order a couple days ago (first one was years ago). I haven't received my package yet but two pluses for them so far: a DVD I assumed was OOP (the page said a 7-14 day wait for it to come in stock and no other HK site has it available) they are actually sending me - and it only took them 3 days to process the order. It said I wasn't going to get anything until the end of June. So that's pretty sweet. Prices are average - although I snagged a copy of A Cause to Kill that was 8.99. As soon as I bought it they bumped the price up to 14.99 though.

As long as the package gets here without getting completely crushed I'll be stoked. Fingers crossed they shipped in a box :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I got my Dreadnaught VCD from HKFlix...

Also, I agree with HAZ, the quality is not very good. I would love to see Joy Sales/Fortune Star release Dreadnaught on DVD, because my VCD looks about as good as a YouTube video and is pretty pixelated, I was kind of shocked how 'meh' it looked (and I have an old CRT television, I don't even want to see it on a flatscreen TV).

Also, I agree with HAZ, the quality is not very good. I would love to see Joy Sales/Fortune Star release Dreadnaught on DVD, because my VCD looks about as good as a YouTube video and is pretty pixelated, I was kind of shocked how 'meh' it looked (and I have an old CRT television, I don't even want to see it on a flatscreen TV).

HKL released it. Other than a cut for animal cruelty, it's the best edition.

HKL released it. Other than a cut for animal cruelty, it's the best edition.

Was it the scene with the chicken during the chase? Or the cockroach? (The latter of which made me want to puke almost as bad as Spooky Encounters 2).

I've had no luck finding the HKL version of Dreadnaught online lately (I've seen it in the past, but it was expensive, around $70). Let me know if there is a reputable place to pick it up for a decent price, if not I might buy the Tai Seng DVD.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread!

There's some mainland DVD of Dreadnaught where a chicken gets ripped in half. I remember that disc being okay, but I can't remember if it was OAR.

You didn't mean to, but you did! =D

Everytime I check back, hoping for more info about VCDs, I see you guys talking about DN. lol jk

I think we pretty much all agree that FS VCDs suck.

FS VCD's are available at DDDhouse. They're really cheap, but pretty much unwatchable, and I'm not fussy at all. They may have a couple okay ones. Let the buyer beware.

Is it just the FS VCDs though?

I ask because I only have two VCDs, the Dreadnaught one and a VCD of Drunken Master 2 ripped from the laser disc. Both are about the same quality, which isn't all that great really.

I have no reference point, but are there VCDs out there that look that much better?

Thanks for the info about yesasia.

=D

Hey mpm74,

I have use them for years (9 to be precise ) & NEVER had any problems. Never got bad discs ,never damaged or late arrivals. Only thing is the free international shipping is very slooooooooooooooooow ! I never use it .

The other thing is it helps to have addresses in several continents because of the international rights ( not just region ). I have 3 now so I can pretty much get ordered any thing . You just want to separate the yesasia global from yesasia north America.

They are also a bit careless with customs, like when you payed maybe $ 180 us dollars for your order they fill at that the package is a gift & worth $ 4. They WILL get in trouble soon I am afraid. When I got my Donnie Yen whole tv series DVDs ( Fists of fury send to Scandinavia , Kung fu master to China ) 8 years ago they got caught both places. & I ended up paying custom (both places )4-5 times as much as I had already had payed for the discs to get my stuff released :cry: !

But overall if you use (read : manipulate ) their site right YESASIA IS GOOD STUFF !!!!!

Xiexie Athena

Okay, so, what I live in the U.S.? aren't they US-based? Where do they ship from?

Archived