weird IVL DVD with a photocopied cover ??!?

bratty

I just open a brand new, sealed copy of The Killers Five DVD from IVL .. I bought it at a local store in here in NY where I have bought about 20 IVL DVDs.. No boots ever. This DVD was still sealed and came in a slipcase cover. It's got a photocopied DVD jacket , as opposed to a professionally printed one like the rest of my IVL DVDs. It is definitely a legit disc, comes with the catalog for the correct year and is definitely the right exact clear case with of course a professional slip cover like the others.. just that photocopy insert. Very very strange!! Anyone else ever run into an IVL release like this?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes boots pretty good, my friend.

They will even go as far as printing catalogues, ya know?

You should take a picture of scan it.

Or maybe IVL second run for that title, they just came up short a few 'printed' jackets... still, very unprofessional. A batch of quality issues like that can always be bad.

I think it's a boot.

Fang Shih-yu
maybe someone bought it, took the cover & photocopied it & then returned it?

A possibility, certainly if you consider how "shrinkwrap" machines are readily available, these days.... Now, if the wrapping of this DVD was consistent in quality with any other IVL DVDs he has bought, then, this substitution might have happened at the FACTORY!:tongue:

Fang Shih-yu
Sometimes boots pretty good, my friend.

They will even go as far as printing catalogues, ya know?

You should take a picture of scan it.

Get a close-up of the disc, too, with the info (usually including a catalog number) on the inner ring, if you decide to go this route....

I honestly don't think it's a boot. Everything I have bought from this store has been 100% legit. The disc is identical to other IVL Shaw discs, as is the slipcover and the case. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I have a copy of KILLER FIVE, I will compare it to yours if you take the photo.

His might be in color, but a color xeroxed copy rather? (otherwise, he would have noticed the spine being in B&W)

well here we go folks .. get ready to have your mind blown. 100% legit release EXCEPT that color xerox cover .. even down to the clear plastic case. and the paper / print quality of the slipcover is exactly the same as the rest.

keep in mind I bought this sealed and I checked every other IVL DVD I bought from the same store - all legit.

I may only have about 50 HK DVDs so far but I have over 1300 DVDs in total so I know a boot when I see one ..

anyway , on with the show

kil001.jpg

kil002.jpg

kil003.jpg

kil004.jpg

kil005.jpg

kil007.jpg

kil009.jpg

see the white margin there on the paper insert .. that's what caught my eye when I realized it wasn't a glossy paper cover like it usually is

That's pretty F'ed up. hmmm...

A few things:

- Is it me or does that product catalogue seem to be a little glossier than normal? Or maybe just a photo reflection thing (did you compare catalogues, too?)

- Maybe IVL changed their paper stock for a specific run? Or maybe that particular run was trimmed a little off? (as far as the quality of the paper, does it match, or it a little chalkier - ie, like a color copier)

- Did you try taking it back? Does this place have another Killers Five on their shelf? Because I think that's a legit reason to take it back, especially if it is obviously a Xerox.

Very interesting. Hmmmm....

I'm comparing it to my copy right now.

Well, look in the bright side, at least it's a good movie.

- Maybe IVL changed their paper stock for a specific run? Or maybe that particular run was trimmed a little off? (as far as the quality of the paper, does it match, or it a little chalkier - ie, like a color copier)

- Did you try taking it back? Does this place have another Killers Five on their shelf?

this is their last Killers Five or else I would have gone back and asked for a replacement already. The lady who works there barely speaks any English and is kind of bitchy so I'm not looking forward to going back there with it if I decide to.. but I'm thinking most likely I'll just keep it .. I know shrinkwrap pretty well - I work in records and I can tell when a record is in it's original shrink vs someone re-shrinking it at home .. and I can tell you, this DVD definitely came from IVL with a color xerox cover like that. I'm 99% sure. No way could this little store pulled off all this just for a $15 DVD.

catalog, case etc = all the same as usual

love the site btw! (city) going there now to read some reviews ;)

I know what you mean, trust me... I've been to my share of Asian markets, video stores, restaurants.... it's not their intention to be mean or bitchy, it's just their nature. =D Everyone once in a while you'll get cool ones.

Thanks - check it out. You may be the first 2nd visitor of all time.... jk

Fang Shih-yu
I know shrinkwrap pretty well - I work in records and I can tell when a record is in it's original shrink vs someone re-shrinking it at home .. and I can tell you, this DVD definitely came from IVL with a color xerox cover like that. I'm 99% sure. No way could this little store pulled off all this just for a $15 DVD.
You've got a unique, cost-cutting collectible! When the time comes that this is truly "out-of-print", and somebody offers you plenty of money for that disc, they WON'T CARE about cheap packaging as long as the DVD is an official copy! That thing is the stuff of bragging rights!:wink: Watch the movie yet? How was it?:ooh:

Blood Sword

I was told by friend few years ago IVL boots are region free.Change your settings at computer it plays only f.e. region 2 and if your killers 5 plays then it`s defo boot.

It ain't a boot !!

China is a strange place, that's all I can say.

(and yes, GREAT movie! Epic and classic feeling like a spaghetti western. Recommended to all forum members familiar with 60s-70s adventure stuff)

update: yes it makes sense that IVL boots would be region free. I ended up with a boot I bought via eBay and it was indeed region free (and in a cheap black case).

yup .. I don't know the name of it off the top of my head. The smaller of the two stores on Bowery.

Nope .. think that one is gone ?? there's some renovation going on there now ..

you know the one with the Fung Wah bus stop right in front ?? Not that one, but the one a half a block away with the little orange awning. they got a bunch of shoes for sale in there too .. ring a bell ?

so what's your experience buying HK movies in Chinatown ?

so what's your experience buying HK movies in Chinatown ?

I've slowed down a lot, but I used to shop there 2 or 3 times a month. I was putting together a quick guide to the area over on HKMDB, but I lost track of keeping it up to date. I had pics and business cards where available.

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/Gaijin84/Chinatown%20Stores/

Looks like I need to update ASAP!

I should know the names of these places but they all use the same bags (always different but you never know whhich bag you'll get from any / either store) and the receipts don't have the name either. I think the one right by the temple / Fung Wah bus is NY Music & Video , the one on Christie is Lay Ying or something like that (??) but the other one that's on Bowery .. no clue what that one is called.

:wink:

Anyway .. I'm kinda surprised there isnt another member of the forum who ended up with an IVL release with a similar packaging as mine. Sssstrange. Ah well I could split hairs and be anal retentive til dawn but it isn't going to get me anywhere. Much better to just chill & enjoy life right ???

Anyway .. I'm kinda surprised there isnt another member of the forum who ended up with an IVL release with a similar packaging as mine. Sssstrange. Ah well I could split hairs and be anal retentive til dawn but it isn't going to get me anywhere. Much better to just chill & enjoy life right ???

The reason I mentioned that first store is I remember seeing IVLs that kind of matched that description. The fronts were definitely photocopied, but they appeared to have the real cases and inserts. I looked at them a few times but never bought them, thinking they were boots. Maybe I should have gotten them in the first place. :neutral:

That's so odd, man.

I have many IVLs (from every year) and i have never encountered this "copied" dvd cover issue. And believe me, I'm a nut when it comes to art & quality, as I had my share of boots, and a keen eye since I work in the graphic design industry.

IVL is so quality enforced, probably the best I've seen when it comes to HK DVD, there's no way I think they would let something like this slip.

The only drastic differences I've noticed, as far as packaging, is the absence of slip covers in later releases; and of course, different styles of catalogues, but NEVER photocopies of anything.

Archived