Tony Jaa is now a monk...

The Amazing Psycho Per

danthemandmv

As many other posters have pointed out,many Thai men become monks for a brief period in their lives;this could be just the thing Tony needs right now.Indeed,he may well return to film fully recharged&re-energized to REALLY blow our minds...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per
Rumors + literary license + blatant cultural disregard = great grist for the comment mill.

"Snapped"..."wacko"..."troubled"...

Funny how joining the monkhood, something that LITERALLY MILLIONS of Thai guys do, suddenly becomes irrefutable evidence of mental instability to some folks. Heaven help us if they find out that the guy likes spicy rice-based food too...who knows what they'll make of that cultural nugget! Tony Jaa...what a nutjob!

Nobody said he was a nutjob... It isn't said anywhere that it's the end of his carreer and all that is written is as nuanced as you guys. The only goal was to point out that Tony Jaa is now a monk and that is carreer is on a indifinite hiatus. I don't how it got so misinterpreted.

It doesn't sound like he's become a monk before so this isn't a total shock.

Hopefully he comes back, but either way, whatever makes him happy and gives him peace of mind. This should give him time to meditate in peace.

If he does come back to movies, like his interviews suggest, it would be nice to see him do more int'l movies, maybe some HK/Thai co-productions.

Thank you TAPP for those links !

I don't think it is unexpected at all , I read a ( poorly translated) Thai article 3-4 months ago were they quoted some of Tony Jaa "private comments "to friends that he was considering taking some "holy time " ( that was the translation ) to recover from some personal depression/ anxiety & to find an acceptable & peaceful way to deal with the dispute with his company. He was said to mention 2 years.

It is a very common way to become "untouchable " from a variety of "higher ups " (legal or illegal )to enter monk hood in Thailand & at the same time not offend the same "higher ups". Al ot of the higher ranking monks have excellent connections within government & other institutions & organizations.

I think it will just increase his " legend " image & increase his $$ value . & definitely hasten the resolving of the dispute. My bet is that it will be an ( awesome ) movie released within a little over 2 years and endless rumors in the meantime !

Athena

The point is, even if returns back to making movies, there won't be another Jaa movie for quite some time - 3-4 years at least and he's not getting any younger. Plus, he'll be out of shape after his monkhood

I'm not even saying that Jackie has been making one movie every year all his life

dragonfist
I'm just curious how far is he with completing OB # 3, does anyone have any idea?

Its finished and has already been out for nearly a month in Thai cinemas. Can't wait.

I really don't think this is anywhere near the end for Tony Jaa, just a small break. It's probably also designed to mend fences culturally in his home land. I'm sure rumours of him doing black magic on the set of Ong Bak 2 probably had an effect on him and his popularity in Thailand.

As far as lion claws thought that the martial-arts movie world is a little shaky at the present I couldn't disagree more. Sure a few years ago things looked quite bleak with the likes of Jackie Chan and Jet Li nearing the end of their careers and little new talent replacing them. But stepping out of the shadows we have seen ....

Johnny Nguyen (the Rebel ) ,

Daniel O'Neill (Bangkok Adrenaline),

Johnny Yong Bosch (Broken Path ) ,

Jeeja (chocolate ) ,

Zaror (Mirage man/Mandrell/undisputed 3 ) ,

cyril raffaelli (District 13)

Eric Jacobus (Contour) ,

Dan Chupong ( born to fight/Ong Bak 2 and 3) ....

the girl from Coweb& Bad Blood

and even Wu Jing if he can find something decent to work on. That's not to mention Tony Jaa taking a break.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Panna Rittikrai came up with another terrific action film with another future star he's been mentoring like Tony Jaa and Jejja.

Donnie Yen is at the height of his career making films with high production values.I personally think that martial-arts cinema is in a very healthy state with lots of new talent breaking through with lots of exciting movies.

Okay maybe I went too far with that comment. I did after all enjoy a lot of the movies you've mentioned. I guess its kinda sad to see stars I've grown up with (Jackie, Jet) start to give way to new talent. In Donnie Yen's case, I've always supported him and I'm happy to see him get what he deserves. (it took awhile.) At least this generation seems bright for stars like Jaa, Adkins, Nguyen, and Zaror. I just hope Jaa comes back soon because I enjoy everything he does including Ong Bak 3 which a lot of people seem to dislike.

. Plus, he'll be out of shape after his monkhood

He should have plenty of free time to stay in shape, maybe practice some Chaiya? :angel:

The reason must be he have had some crazy ass former Bruce Lee fans hanging over him for the last couple of years. A good reason to be a monk.

I think George Tan was one of them or maybe the only one. correct me if i'm wrong.

Could someone please explain the last 2 posts here ? Especially the travel one ?

( I get the articles I just don't see the connection with Tony Jaa, & I have not heard about the George Tan problem ..:ooh: )

Thank you :squigglemouth: Athena

The travel one is a spam post, meant as advertising.

Kaleyboy !

That is just horrible ! I didn't know that was possible, how do they get passed the registration deal ???:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Athena against SPAM !! ;(

blue_skies
Kaleyboy !

That is just horrible ! I didn't know that was possible, how do they get passed the registration deal ???:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Athena against SPAM !! ;(

I would say we are very lucky on this forum with how few Spam advert posters we receive. On a sci-fi forum that I used to visit on a regular basis it used to be plagued with 20 - 30 Spam posts every day. In the end I spent more time deleting than reading and commenting. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I would have to agree with space I would think he will be in excellent shape once he finishes his time in the monkhood. I should also imagine it gives him plenty of time to meditate on new ideas without distraction.

Chinatown Kid

So if he has become a monk that means no women, right? Wow he is self disciplined, I don't believe I could ever be that disciplined because I love the ladies too much. :angel:

As others have mentioned, it is perfectly normal for thai males to become monks. Whatever the reason may be, I think this is the perfect time for Tony to recharge. I also feel the twitch article seems a little too harsh on Tony and Ong Bak 3, playing off of just rumors.

lightning hopkins
does anyone know how long it takes for it to be on thai DVD?

By "thai DVD," you mean a legitimate release, right? 'Cause I'm sure there are plenty of shady versions available right now at places like Pantip Plaza in BKK. Yep, a copy is just a plane-ride away...if you don't mind some shaky hand-held camerawork and dubious quality... :tongue:

By "thai DVD," you mean a legitimate release, right? 'Cause I'm sure there are plenty of shady versions available right now at places like Pantip Plaza in BKK. Yep, a copy is just a plane-ride away...if you don't mind some shaky hand-held camerawork and dubious quality... :tongue:

Yes i meant the proper dvd, i am sure there are crappy copies available and even rips online. But the quality is so bad, i will just not be able to enjoy the movie. The film will be released in July in Singapore and Malaysia, but i hope the dvd will release before that :frown: . Ip man 2 is coming next week isnt it? just about a month, that's what it should be for all movies :smile2:

blue_skies
does anyone know how long it takes for it to be on thai DVD?

I'll be very surprised if the official Thai DVD release has English subtitles. I'm sure once a DVD is confirmed with that someone will definitely post on this forum. I would guess you'll still looking at another couple of months of waiting .

I'll be very surprised if the official Thai DVD release has English subtitles. I'm sure once a DVD is confirmed with that someone will definitely post on this forum. I would guess you'll still looking at another couple of months of waiting .

oh no :cry:

although i am very impressed by this forum. Just the other day i was searching for Ip man 2 dvd online and couldnt find anything, and when i came here i found out that somone already had the box art and special features and release date!!

I can only hope now that it will be released with english subtitles by the end of the month.

One Armed Boxer
Additionally, the information of Jaa going to the woods and breaking off from the moive has now been confirmed a rumor.

It was the scenes in Ong Bak 3 (without posting spoilers) that he was preparing for and shooting. Info came back on the dailies/footage where, although they planned to make it a 2 part EPIC, during that time he was shooting scenes of the recuperating Tien. One scene is very troubling as we see Tien standing at the end of a cliff, no wires. Good stuff.

But yeah he didn't storm off and production was not halted. It will all come together in Ong Bak 3.

Is this really true...where was it confirmed? I too think that the article on twitch is a little harsh, and no doubt not all of it is fact. But I believe it is true that Jaa went on public TV and broke down crying due to the fact he had mysteriously wondered off the production for an amount of time, and I also believe that the reason Ong Bak 3 got made was only to make up for the money that was lost on Ong Bak 2 due to his absence, and this is why Panna Rittikrai was brought in and also Dan Chupong`s character suddenly introduced into the story at the very end.

However what is stated above essentially says none of this was true.

Is this really true...where was it confirmed? I too think that the article on twitch is a little harsh, and no doubt not all of it is fact. But I believe it is true that Jaa went on public TV and broke down crying due to the fact he had mysteriously wondered off the production for an amount of time, and I also believe that the reason Ong Bak 3 got made was only to make up for the money that was lost on Ong Bak 2 due to his absence, and this is why Panna Rittikrai was brought in and also Dan Chupong`s character suddenly introduced into the story at the very end.

However what is stated above essentially says none of this was true.

One Armed Boxer

I have seen the TV interview myself on a cell phone belonging to a Thai class mate of mine, he translated it too.

I don't know how to do the youtube thing but maybe some of the onboard tech wizards on this forum can do it for us please ?? Thank you !

& the temple ting is nothing to worry about , for Thai males it is a good /right ting to do at crucial times in life. I don't think they have chambers but they do levels. He will not be out of shape either as a cultivation of mind & body is a high priority. Overcoming limitations ( mental /physical ) is a important concern. & a merging with the spirits /animals of nature. Transcending the limitation of conventional restrictions etc.. All in all I think he be awesome when he returns & RETURN HE WILL !

Athena

Archived