Tony Jaa is now a monk...

The Amazing Psycho Per

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Man alive very interesting.

Jaa had his 15 minutes of fame and lost track of himself hopefully being a monk will do him well

O MIE TOFU Buddha Bless Him

Gd Y-Y

:angel:

lightning hopkins

Since, as both links note, it's pretty common for Thai males to become monks (albeit briefly in most cases), dunno that I'd attribute too much to this news yet.

Likewise, with the 3-month summer rainy season approaching, this is a traditional time for guys to join up, so the timing doesn't seem too unusual either.

Besides, everyone looks better in saffron robes, right? :)

blue_skies

judging by the comments on twitch Ong Bak 3 doesn't sound very promising. I wonder how long Tony Jaa's sabbatical will be. Hopefully it won't taking too long to get his head straight.

That sucks big time!...He was probably the only MA actor whose movies I was looking forward to...

The Dragon

Dude has snapped.

Didn't he leave the production of Ong Bak 2 and disappeared or something for a while?

Fame is not all it's chalked up to be.

Here's hoping to he finds the peace he's seeking.

OpiumKungFuCracker

What a huge let down.... What about his fans??? Dude only made like 3 movies, and when he does come back to making movies will the fans come back too??

I think he needs the therapy of something. I didn't think the whole Ong Bak 2 mess was that serious. Hopefully he snaps out of it soon, this is really disturbing news. The "martial arts world" seems kinda shaky at the present. We have Jaa turining wacko and drama filled, Jackie's making lack luster kids movies, Jet Li seems to have been keeping low and out of the lime light, and Donnie Yen's becoming a movie addict. At least Adkins seems alright.

We have Jaa turining wacko and drama filled, Jackie's making lack luster kids movies, Jet Li seems to have been keeping low and out of the lime light, and Donnie Yen's becoming a movie addict. At least Adkins seems alright.

What Donnie's doing for MA movies is good, at least he still has the ambition of changing MA choreography himself (Legend of the Fist, The Lost Bladesman). I'd say productivity gives something to the one responsible of making the movies. There are severals groups of action movie fans so when there are so many MA movies being made, there's always someone/those with different/creative thoughts of doing movies with different combinations of choreography and story/acting and bring something outstanding and satisfy those who are interested. That itself shows that MA/action movies can progress as a genre instead of being what it's always been taken for (more action, less story), which isn't necessary a bad thing.

Anyway, this is shocking to hear. Just when we all thought Jaa's career would go somewhere, his passion for making movies goes down as fast as his career was risen. I guess it's pretty much up to Yen and Adkins to bring us what we want now.

What Donnie's doing for action movies is good, at least he still has the ambition of changing MA choreography himself (Legend of the Fist, The Lost Bladesman). I'd say productivity gives something to the one responsible of making the movies. There are severals groups of action movie fans so when there are so many MA movies being made, there's always someone/those with different/creative thoughts of doing movies with different combinations of choreography and story/acting and bring something outstanding and satisfy those who are interested. That itself shows that MA action movies can progress as a sub genre instead of being what it's always been taken for (more action, less story), which isn't necessary a bad thing.

Anyway, this is shocking to hear. Just when we all thought Jaa's career would go somewhere, his passion for making movies goes down as fast as his career was risen. It's pretty much up to Yen and Adkins to bring us what we want now.

I have no problem with Donnie Yen making a variety of action movies because he's my favorite martial artist. It just seems like hes jumping for every role hes offered which means his attention and heart will end up being divided. That means it would be hard to put his all in one project because he has so much to do. Yen has a lot of experience and vision, but I just think it would be healthy for him to slow it down.

Truly understand what you're coming from and I agree. I wouldn't worry too much since I'm sure he knows where his physical/mental boundaries are, what projects to choose and not (minus The Monkey King if he's really going to be in that, bad move), and has confidence in his acting. So far, his recent output have been good for the most part. But just as long as he keeps making good overall movies and be action directing them (or action direct and act simultaneously period), I'll be happy.

Of course this is a rumor mill waiting to churn. If you read about the actual ceremony (which happens ALOT to majority of Thai males), he has been ordained "His monastic name is Kitiposano, which means "elegant celebrity"

As for his career, this means nothing. How many celebrities have been ordained to "knighthood" by the queen of England? I rest my case.

This is not the first time a martial arts star has been accused of hanging up the towels from movies. I recall the pictures and rumor about Jet Li becoming a monk and giving up movies altogether.

Granted, these actors/stars/celebrities have been known to do other things with their lives other than just making movies. It involves their personal lives, culture, choices and heck, just living.

daisho2004

Rumors make for the best press release there is! Just look at how everyone thinks this is the end for Tony! To me this is just the beginning of a very high M.A. career for him. As VenomsFan stated a lot of Celebs get Knighthood status, but that doesn't end there career or make them any less worth watching.

JCLegend86

Damn... Who else is gonna make entertaining martial arts movies now? Jackie Chan seems to have grown away from it, Jet Li is not doing more shaolin movies and I really dont like Donnie Yen except for Iron Monkey... :/

I hope Jaa gets through his problems and make a hell of a comeback!!!

Wow the failure of a number one movie in Thailand has driven Tony Jaa to Monkhood. Only joking!

Well those Thai's sure know how to put together a trailer, Ong Bak 3 looked amazing and then the reviews came in. Oh well, look forward to his new material after he has his sabbatical!

There is not many martial art leading stars these days and it is sad to see one go (hopefully for a short period).

I see it that he is staying true to his culture and to his heritage, I hope he finds his peace and wish him good health. Will look forward to him returning to movies at some point in the future if he decides to; In the meantime, looking forward to "Ong Bak 3".

He's obviously a very troubled man - hopefully, this will help him get his head in a better, happier place.

Come back soon, Tony!

Rumors make for the best press release there is! Just look at how everyone thinks this is the end for Tony! To me this is just the beginning of a very high M.A. career for him. As VenomsFan stated a lot of Celebs get Knighthood status, but that doesn't end there career or make them any less worth watching.

Agreed. If he can pretty much touch on all aspects of MA films in a span of 4 films. Who knows what we have next in store.

Additionally, the information of Jaa going to the woods and breaking off from the moive has now been confirmed a rumor.

It was the scenes in Ong Bak 3 (without posting spoilers) that he was preparing for and shooting. Info came back on the dailies/footage where, although they planned to make it a 2 part EPIC, during that time he was shooting scenes of the recuperating Tien. One scene is very troubling as we see Tien standing at the end of a cliff, no wires. Good stuff.

But yeah he didn't storm off and production was not halted. It will all come together in Ong Bak 3.

It's funny though, even in the posted article, it's a journalists "take" on this situation. None of it confirmed by Jaa or his crew. Just rumors.

lightning hopkins

Rumors + literary license + blatant cultural disregard = great grist for the comment mill.

"Snapped"..."wacko"..."troubled"...

Funny how joining the monkhood, something that LITERALLY MILLIONS of Thai guys do, suddenly becomes irrefutable evidence of mental instability to some folks. Heaven help us if they find out that the guy likes spicy rice-based food too...who knows what they'll make of that cultural nugget! Tony Jaa...what a nutjob! :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

I hope it is just a rumor because with Ip Man 2, and Expendables coming out soon I don't know where I'm gonna find my action movie fix...

Rumors + literary license + blatant cultural disregard = great grist for the comment mill.

"Snapped"..."wacko"..."troubled"...

Funny how joining the monkhood, something that LITERALLY MILLIONS of Thai guys do, suddenly becomes irrefutable evidence of mental instability to some folks. Heaven help us if they find out that the guy likes spicy rice-based food too...who knows what they'll make of that cultural nugget! Tony Jaa...what a nutjob! :tongue:

My point exactly. It's not like his life is troubled with scandals, affairs, involvement in the mob. Just info on his everyday life. A nice mixture of trying to find fault and having nothing else to do.

Yeah, he MUST be a nut.

Talk about something real, like the INCORRECT movie reviewer on HD net in the bonus feature on Ong Bak 2 DVD where he says Tony Jaa invented Parkour.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Tony Jaa DID invent Parkour.... and also the question mark. And sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy......

blue_skies

I really don't think this is anywhere near the end for Tony Jaa, just a small break. It's probably also designed to mend fences culturally in his home land. I'm sure rumours of him doing black magic on the set of Ong Bak 2 probably had an effect on him and his popularity in Thailand.

I think he needs the therapy of something. I didn't think the whole Ong Bak 2 mess was that serious. Hopefully he snaps out of it soon, this is really disturbing news. The "martial arts world" seems kinda shaky at the present. We have Jaa turining wacko and drama filled, Jackie's making lack luster kids movies, Jet Li seems to have been keeping low and out of the lime light, and Donnie Yen's becoming a movie addict. At least Adkins seems alright.

Damn... Who else is gonna make entertaining martial arts movies now? Jackie Chan seems to have grown away from it, Jet Li is not doing more shaolin movies and I really dont like Donnie Yen except for Iron Monkey... :/

I hope Jaa gets through his problems and make a hell of a comeback!!!

As far as lion claws thought that the martial-arts movie world is a little shaky at the present I couldn't disagree more. Sure a few years ago things looked quite bleak with the likes of Jackie Chan and Jet Li nearing the end of their careers and little new talent replacing them. But stepping out of the shadows we have seen ....

Johnny Nguyen (the Rebel ) ,

Daniel O'Neill (Bangkok Adrenaline),

Johnny Yong Bosch (Broken Path ) ,

Jeeja (chocolate ) ,

Zaror (Mirage man/Mandrell/undisputed 3 ) ,

cyril raffaelli (District 13)

Eric Jacobus (Contour) ,

Dan Chupong ( born to fight/Ong Bak 2 and 3) ....

the girl from Coweb& Bad Blood

and even Wu Jing if he can find something decent to work on. That's not to mention Tony Jaa taking a break.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Panna Rittikrai came up with another terrific action film with another future star he's been mentoring like Tony Jaa and Jejja.

Donnie Yen is at the height of his career making films with high production values.I personally think that martial-arts cinema is in a very healthy state with lots of new talent breaking through with lots of exciting movies.

Archived