Lonceng Maut (1976) - SB & Indonesia co prod.

wizard12220

wizard12220

Does anyone know about this film and the availability of the DVD/video?

The co director is Kuei Chi Hung and one of the fight instructors is Lau Ka Leung.

loncengmaut.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite possible there's a VCD of this title. A friend of mine has a stack of Indonesian movies on VCD; a few Billy Chong movies and some of them have Chen Kuan Tai in them. Haven't watched them, but it's possible those could be co-productions, too. Hussein Abu Hassan would be used in some of Shaw's movies, too.

Guest Markgway

Never even heard of this. A true Shaw Bros rare. I think we can be sure it was never released in Hong Kong.

Found these clips:

wizard12220

The other director and producer are Indonesians. But some of the leads look like Malaysian, because I don't recognize them.

The link that Mark gave could be the same, but that is the Malaysian version.

Lonceng in Indonesian means Bell (probably Loceng?? in Malaysian) and Maut is Death.

It is including in the Indonesian Movie Catalog. But I'm not sure that Indonesian still made B&W movies in 1976, because all the available movies from that time, they are all already colour movies.

loempiavreter

Googled the name and found a VCD rip rapidshare... so at least there´s VCD. They say it´s Malay though.

Does anyone know about this film and the availability of the DVD/video?

The co director is Kuei Chi Hung and one of the fight instructors is Lau Ka Leung.

loncengmaut.jpg

I'm sure Ching Tung Yee (the other credited fight instructor) is Ching Siu Tung. I remember seeing that listed as an alias.

The Shaws made a lot of Malay movies under the name " Malay films productions ", or " Shaw organisation" or " Merdeka " or " Maria Menado productions ". There are a lot of martial arts Malay movies, as well as ghost movies among these titles, most of them combining action, songs and drama in the same movie.

A lot of them are available to watch on youtube, in full length or in several parts. Loceng Maut is among them the full length ones.

They also made the Malay versions of Angel with the iron fists, Summons to death and two or three other ones under the titles: " Nora zain, Ajen Wanita 001 ", " Gerak Kilat ", " Jurang Bahaya ", " Bayangan Ajal ". It's almost the same movies, but with different actors and some different scenes and they are worth watching. Three of these are in colour and one is in black and white.

For those who are interested in these movies, there is a site where some of the titles are still available in vcd format : p-ramlee.com. The quality isn't always very great, but it's stilll better than nothing and these are rare. You can also find some of these movies on cinemashops and wanita.net eShop.

Here is a link to another one called Singapore (I don't think it's a martial arts one, but it gives an idea of what the Shaws' Malay movies were) :

http://videomasti.net/2012/01/09/singapore-1961-shammi-kapoor-padmini-maria-menado/

Hope it will be of some interest for someone here.

Archived