Best of Yuen Biao

Guest Sempz0r

Guest Sempz0r

Hey fellas,

Ive been looking at this site and its forums for a few weeks now, after having a craving for martial arts action, and thanks to you guys Ive uncovered some real gems I never knew existed, but now I need help. I recently watched Yuen Biaos "Above The Law" aka "Righting Wrongs" afte having seen someone here recommend it to someone else, it was the first movie I'd ever seen with yuen biao in it and I was blown away, he's truly phenomenal and deserves alot more attention then he gets. I just want to know wat other Yuen Biao movies are essential viewing and I thought Id ask the experts :D

thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blue_skies

Of the films I've seen with Yuen Biao that I would recommend are...

The prodigal son - with Sammo Hung

Dragons forever - with Sammo and Jackie Chan

Eastern condors - with Sammo

Knockabout - with Sammo

The magnificent butcher - again with Sammo Hung

Once upon a time in China - with Jet Li

My lucky stars - with Jackie and Sammo

Project A - with you've guessed it Jackie and Sammo

those highlighted in red are my absolute favourite Yuen Biao movies .

I'm personally not that keen on winners and sinners and twinkle, twinkle, lucky stars but there are some good parts in both films if I remember correctly.

Dreadnaught and the Ice man cometh are supposed to be very good. I just haven't gotten around to watching my copies yet.

I'm sure there are others I forgotten or haven't seen yet that someone else is bound to post . :bigsmile:

Knockabout

The Magnificent Butcher (Biao vs Lam Ching-Ying)

Dreadnaught

The Prodigal Son

The Champions (great mix of MA and football)

My Lucky Stars (Biao vs Lam Ching-Ying)

Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

The Millionaires' Express

Eastern Condors

Dragons Forever

License to Steal

Shanghai Shanghai

Yep Yuen Biao is my favourite, his acrobatic kicks are just amazing.

The titles guys above listed are definites, but they missed WHEELS ON MEALS!!! :tongue:

That also stars Jackie and Sammo.

After those titles and you crave more, which you will lol then you can check out other good titles such as:

Iceman Cometh

Rosa

Kickboxer

Dont give a Damn (stars Sammo Hung also)

zu warriors from magic mountain (this is more of a wuxia title though)

Theres others as well that cant think of off the top of my head.

Don't forget The Young Master!

Also, Dreadnaught.

But really, Knockabout, Prodigal Son and Magnificent Butcher are the best movies he's been involved with and in a desert island situation are the ones to get (his kung fu is underused in OUATIC).

I think that was it's name, sort of an anime inspired (I think) fantasy kung fu movie from the eighties, I guess it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me. Not much martial arts action but the one fight between Yuen Biao, Gordon Liu & several of Gordon's cronies was a good one, & I still enjoy the rest of the movie, too.

I also liked On The Run a lot, definitely not a martial arts movie but excellent nonetheless, IMHO. I wish someone would release an uncut version on dvd, the widely available version features a ridiculously "politically correct", by Hong Kong standards, anyway, revised ending.

massa_yoda

Knockabout - Best and most acrobatic moves.

Shanghai (Millionare's) Express - Coolest stunts.

Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars - Best kick!

blue_skies
I think that was it's name, sort of an anime inspired (I think) fantasy kung fu movie from the eighties, I guess it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me. Not much martial arts action but the one fight between Yuen Biao, Gordon Liu & several of Gordon's cronies was a good one, & I still enjoy the rest of the movie, too.

I also liked On The Run a lot, definitely not a martial arts movie but excellent nonetheless, IMHO. I wish someone would release an uncut version on dvd, the widely available version features a ridiculously "politically correct", by Hong Kong standards, anyway, revised ending.

I believe it's called the Peacock King. Well at least the Hong Kong legends title. I've never seen it so couldn't comment.

thundered mantis

Classic Kung Fu:

Knockabout

Prodigal Son

Magnificent Butcher

Modern Stuff:

Iceman Cometh

Kid from Tibet

Kickboxer

Millonaire´s Express

Eastern Condors

License To Steal

My Lucky Stars

Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

Project A

Wheels On Meals

Dragons Forever

Shanghai Shanghai

Rosa

Even tough it was kind of a cheap supercop rip off I liked Tough Beauty and Sloppy Slop.

Is there any English subtitled version of licence to steal on DVD?

Not that I'm aware of. There are vcd and laserdisc rips floating about though.

blue_skies

Yeah, but I found the quality of VCDs to be detrimental to the quality of a film. When you say laser disc rips do you mean pirate DVDs? I may have to consider it but with the Tiger Cage trilogy being released there could well be hope of an official DVD.:bigsmile:

My favorite Yuen Biao films:

Knockabout

Dreadnaught

Above the Law

Tough Beauty and the Sloppy Slop

Kick Boxer

Guest ekisha
Yeah, but I found the quality of VCDs to be detrimental to the quality of a film. When you say laser disc rips do you mean pirate DVDs? I may have to consider it but with the Tiger Cage trilogy being released there could well be hope of an official DVD.:bigsmile:

There's no hope for this one. GH sold the rights to WB. Correct me if i am wrong.

Archived