Shigurui: Death Frenzy

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

Does anyone else love this series? I was completely blown away. From the opening scene where a vassal rips out his own intestines in an attempt to discourage his lord from allowing bloodshed, I was hooked, the series is dark and unsettling the whole way through. It begins with a duel between a one armed samurai and his rival (a crippled and blind samurai) both members of the Kogan-Ryuu school, who are engaging in a demonstration of their skills for their Lord. Despite protests from his vassals the Lord insists they use real swords in a fight to the death. From this point, we are brought back to seven years earlier and the tale of these two rivals, and the events leading up to the duel are told. The animation is nothing short of spectacular, the story is quite engaging. The overall tone and mood of the series is one that fans of the aesthetics employed in classic samurai cinema will appreciate.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

Yeah, I had never heard of it either, a friend of mine gave me two discs with all 12 episodes. I watched the whole thing in one night, I'm sure you would love it. I believe it's based on a Manga series of the same title. All 12 episodes tell one continuous story. I don't know if there's any more or any plans for anymore.

Chemical Lemon

Yeah, I randomly picked this up when the blu-ray was on sale. Hadn't heard of it, was sure I was going to hate it, but was completely blown away. It's definitely not for everyone, but for me it was intensely interesting. I was really disappointed when it ended without resolving the story set forth at the very beginning. I guess the manga has continued since the series was released, but as far as I can find, there aren't currently any plans to continue the anime. Definitely a must see if you're into dark moody anime.

BlackLamaFaction

Agreed, the ending didn't resolve parts of the story, (like how Fujiki lost his arm) or tell us the outcome of the duel between these two characters we become so invested in. That said, the final fight between Kogan and Irako was still a worth while ending. One person suggested the series was likely a promotional tool to get people interested in the manga. I also could not find any talk of another season or anymore episodes so i guess that's probably accurate.

Archived