Chinatown Kid question

SilverRoc

I was at a store the other day that sells used CDs/Books/VHS/DVDs and came across the Chinatown Kid on VHS for $1 and since I have never seen it I had to pick it up, I was wondering which version of the movie it is? this is the link for the same one I got,Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Kid-VHS-Sheng-Fu/dp/B00005UQBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1274358253&sr=1-2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

A review of the product in the link says it's (to paraphrase) just under 90 minutes, so the copy you have may be of the notorious heavily edited version (by near 30 minutes) that misses a LOT, storywise!:cry:

Here in NY, we have vendors who sell the movies and one put the Edited and unedited version on the same disc. I thought that was pretty cool.

Though the unedited version is better, even if it's not remastered.

Shaolin Patriot
Here in NY, we have vendors who sell the movies and one put the Edited and unedited version on the same disc. I thought that was pretty cool.

Though the unedited version is better, even if it's not remastered.

It is also on the Media Blasters list of Shaw releases for region 1 DVD.

OldPangYau
It is also on the Media Blasters list of Shaw releases for region 1 DVD.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to pull that one off. I mean, we probably won't see it until about 2012 (I'm calling it now!) as it's the last on the batch of ten for batch #2, but it's still interesting to think about.

My guess is they'll have the current Celestial cut on one disc and perhaps a semi-remastered American/English dub cut on another disc. Be nice to find it uncut AND in Mandarin though.

Chinatown Kid

I sure would love to have the English dubbed version remastered, the alternate version Celestial released just doesn't have the same kind of impact emotionally or action wise. :squigglemouth:

MarsHarmony

It was a dollar well spent. Even the "shorter" version has it's many merits and is still a blast to watch.

Old Pang Yau's prediction is duly noted, and I hope you are right. A remastered full version of Chinatown Kid will be a glorious treat.

OldPangYau
It was a dollar well spent. Even the "shorter" version has it's many merits and is still a blast to watch.

Old Pang Yau's prediction is duly noted, and I hope you are right. A remastered full version of Chinatown Kid will be a glorious treat.

It would be nice! I was just thinking recently about how Media Blasters obtained the World Northal US trailer for Black Magic 2, it would only make sense for them to be able to obtain the World Northal print of Chinatown Kid... I would think, at least. Then again, trailers seem easier to obtain than full prints. But one thing's for sure, we've dealt with delays with their other releases, I can see this one being pushed back for quite a while :sad:

Archived