Jackie Chan working on 'Drunken Master 1945'

Asmo

I didn't see this posted, so if it has been I apologise:

http://www.fareastfilms.com/newsPage/Jackie-Chan-Doing-A-New-Drunken-Master-2070.htm

If word from Cannes is to be believed, Jackie Chan is currently working on a new martial arts film entitled 'Drunken Master 1945'. The project is neither a remake nor a sequel to Chan's 1978 kung fu classic, but will in fact be a brand new story that intends to recapture the martial arts spirit.

Alan Mak, the co-writer and co-director of 2002's 'Infernal Affairs', is reportedly attached to helm the film, which will have a budget of US $15 million and is aiming to start shooting in February 2011.

Whilst at Cannes, Jackie Chan's representatives also unveiled the following projects:

- 'Cambodia Landmine', an action/comedy/drama, to be directed by 'Little Big Soldier's Ding Sheng. The $25 million production is scheduled to shoot in Cambodia in February 2012.

- 'Tiger Mountain', a Mandarin-language action drama, to be directed by Tsui Siu Ming. Budgeted at $50 million and set to begin production in October 2012, the film will boast 3D special effects.

- 'Manhattan', a $55 million action suspenser in both Mandarin and English, which Chan will both star in and direct. It is filming in both China and the U.S. and is slated for release in January 2013.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't he come out a couple months ago and say that making the Drunken Master movies was a mistake, that they set a bad example for kids?

“It was a mistake to make DRUNKEN MASTER,” said Chan. “The film was all about getting drunk to fight. It misled the audience.”

Seems weird, maybe Drunken Master 1945 is just a working title and has little to do with the movie. Either way I welcome the idea of Jackie getting back to his roots, going back to HK to shoot and doing a real kung fu movie. Here's hoping he enlists some grade-A talent (Sammo and Yuen Biao please!)

Guest Markgway
Jackie Chan is currently working on a new martial arts film entitled 'Drunken Master 1945'.

Is this in reference to the year or the number of Drunken Master movies we've had?

'Cambodia Landmine', an action/comedy/drama

Comedy??

'Tiger Mountain'... the film will boast 3D special effects.

The words 'bandwagon' and 'jumping' spring to mind.

'Manhattan', a $55 million action suspenser in both Mandarin and English, which Chan will both star in and direct. It is filming in both China and the U.S. and is slated for release in January 2013.

At least this sounds intriguing...

lillippa328

Good news!!!!!! New Drunken Master???Im GAME!!

New action films, HK style? Lets get it!

Didn't he come out a couple months ago and say that making the Drunken Master movies was a mistake, that they set a bad example for kids?

Jackie Chan says his Drunken Master films were a mistake?! His Drunken Master films were the best stuff he's done! :squigglemouth: I'll tell you what's a bad example for kids Jackie Chan's real life behaviors that's what!

JCLegend86

Great, a new Drunken Master and Armour of God 3 in the works.

Sounds to good to be true, im only afraid that Jackie is getting to old to do movies like this. I dont want some half-ass results either. Jackie Chan should be Beggar Su, and Tony Jaa should be his student :P

Sounds to good to be true, im only afraid that Jackie is getting to old to do movies like this. I dont want some half-ass results either. Jackie Chan should be Beggar Su, and Tony Jaa should be his student :P

Keep in mind that 'Drunken Master 1945' is a working title. The film could turn out very different.

Guest Markgway
Keep in mind that 'Drunken Master 1945' is a working title. The film could turn out very different.

Yes, it could turn out to be the radically different Drunken Master 1946.

I think if the new Kung Fu Kid movie is any indication, Jackie will accept his new place as the wizened old master from now on and won't always try to be so young (I hope). He'll never be too old for these movies, if Simon Yuen and Kwan Tak Hing could do it than so can he!

Whilst I hope I'm wrong (a new Tsui Siu Ming film is always welcome), Cannes is full of talk of films that never get made - remember Van Damme's The Monk, for instance?

And yeah, a comedy about landmines? :ooh:

blue_skies

The news of new Jackie Chan projects fails to excite me. I fear as long as he's the star there will never be another great Jackie Chan film made. I like JCLegend's idea of Jackie playing beggar su and Tony Jaa or some other younger talent playing his student!

Drunken Monk

Even though I couldn't get through 45 minutes of "The Spy Next Door" yesterday, Jackie Chan in association with anything Drunken Master gets me excited.

Even though I couldn't get through 45 minutes of "The Spy Next Door" yesterday, Jackie Chan in association with anything Drunken Master gets me excited.

I thought Little Big Soldier was a gem. Subdued on the action front but a marvellous little film.

And I agree with Karlos, the likelihood of some of these pictures being made seems low although a new (anti drinking) Drunken Master would be pretty cool. No Ken Lo though:tongue:

"brand new story that intends to recapture the martial arts spirit." see Ong Bak Trilogy

From the descript it looks alot how they are describing the New Monkey King movie

HyperDrive

That's how Gallants is described as well if I'm not mistaken.

So Drunken Master takes on the Japanese? With anti-drinking Jackie, the end is the drunken master saves the day but his liver explodes. Another possibility is he's too drunk to get out of the way of the .50 cal but provides a distraction so his comrades can win the battle or whatever. A third possibility is he drinks gasoline, becomes brain damaged, stupidly walks into the enemy, gets shot which ignites the gas and everything goes boom. Yeah, I hope Drunken Master 1945 is just a working title.

Ditto on Tiger Mountain being a Wudan themed cash in on the 3d craze.

Ditto on Cambodia Landmine being a comedy but the extremely cheesy HK cinema tradition of putting comedy in bizarre places looks to rear its head once again. This is already on the level of City Hunter.

Manhattan could be Rumble in the Bronx done Shinjuku Incident style or something along those lines. If Jackie was smart, he'd ditch everything else and go to this.

The annoying thing is that Jackie should be able to do stuff. All the reports I hear are that he can still bust a move. Lets face it, look at what Sammo Hung can still do, and he's older and much bigger than Jackie, and has still had his fair share of bumps and scrapes.

JCLegend86

Despite Sammo being older and bigger, I believe Jackie has taken a lot more damage to his body through the years. Some injuries has been following him for decades now.

jackie recently said he would be taking a long time to make armour of god 3, so has that movie been scrapped now as these 3 movies in process have just appeared

What is drunken master without drinking? Mr Chan worries too much about influencing kids. If this is truly the case then he should just start a children's television show. To my ears an anti drinking drunken master sounds like something hollywood would come up with to bleed money into their banks.

I said that with a pinch of irony man. I meant a new Drunken Master would be cool. But as Jackie has said, he felt those movies conveyed a wrong message. So it would be an (anti drinking) Drunken Master. Do you not think that Drunken Master 2 contained elements of an anti drinking message? I don't think that we wouldn't have any fun with some decent drunken boxing scenes, just see the consequences of such actions, that's all.

I completely see where you're coming from though. I hated watching Jackie's hollywood kids films and Forbidden Kingdom made me want to puke sometimes, but I don't think a new Drunken Master with an anti drinking message is a recipe for disaster if done properly (maybe asking for a bit too much considering some of his recent output)

Little Big Soldier renewed my faith in Jackie to produce something special. I really thought LBS was a great movie so here's hoping he can achieve continue to build on that quality in his HK/China work.

JCLegend86

That definately makes me want to watch Little Big Soldier, I have bought the BR disc, but I need to get an all region BR player first, didnt work on the PS3..

I completely see where you're coming from though. I hated watching Jackie's hollywood kids films and Forbidden Kingdom made me want to puke sometimes, but I don't think a new Drunken Master with an anti drinking message is a recipe for disaster if done properly (maybe asking for a bit too much considering some of his recent output)

Even Dance of the Drunk Mantis portrayed the flaws of Drunken Style.

Improvisation

Don't must people consider Legend of Drunken Master to be one of the best martial arts films ever made, if not the best? That's the movie that got me hooked on this genre in the first place. I'm not sure how I feel about Jackie revisiting the franchise....I think the first two films are way too good to touch. Indiana Jones comes to mind.

lillippa328
Don't must people consider Legend of Drunken Master to be one of the best martial arts films ever made, if not the best? That's the movie that got me hooked on this genre in the first place. I'm not sure how I feel about Jackie revisiting the franchise....I think the first two films are way too good to touch. Indiana Jones comes to mind.

Legend of Drunken Master is deff. in my top.....love that movie so much

I thought "Shinjuku Incident" was one of his better films of recent times so I'm looking forward to "Manhattan".

I wonder how Jackie would approach this "Drunken Master 1945" film, whether he would be taking the lead in his age or as a mentor to a younger talent in the lead role.

Archived