Invincible Shaolin and Life Gamble from Funi have arrived

gfanikf

there was a disclaimer on the box for the Aus Invincible Shaolin! about the eng dub.. must be the only one available

Also for their 'Heroes Two'.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BigDruDogg
Also for their 'Heroes Two'.

Then how are they going to pull off there blu-ray release of this in 2 weeks?

Blu-Ray(perfect picture..terrible dub) lol

Then how are they going to pull off there blu-ray release of this in 2 weeks?

Blu-Ray(perfect picture..terrible dub) lol

I just meant about the disclaimer. It could actually be in a better state than 'Invincible'?

Killer Meteor
I just meant about the disclaimer. It could actually be in a better state than 'Invincible'?

Siren put the disclaimer on all their English dub releases, though a fair few of them, Heroes Two included, sounded fine.

Sandpalm79
Can anyone else comment on the bad English dub? Does it sound like the Siren version? What a disappointment - my favorite title! I hope the subs are an improvement over the IVL version.

oi.. just watched about 15 min of invincible shaolin mainly with the eng dub on. during the SB logo i knew something was up. it sounded underwater and almost like a wah effect or something and the dialogue is very inconsistent. constantly changing volume and possibly speed. the biggest disappointment is the fighting effects sound muffled and underwater as well when compared to the subtitled orignal language track. heres my question: i thought that the fighting used to always sound the same no matter what language you had on, because the sound effects are on a seperate track correct?? not sure..

this may have come off negative, on a positive, if i dont concentrate too hard on it, its passable. i just cant tell what they are saying sometimes. it does fade out. also its strange to have substandard audio with a picture this crisp ( no blurring! woohoo) that is probably half the problem

Killer Meteor
oi.. : i thought that the fighting used to always sound the same no matter what language you had on, because the sound effects are on a seperate track correct?? not sure..

I think the english soundtrack in this case was bad on the transfer (which goes back to the UK VHS). I suppose they could have cut in the sound FX from the Mandarin version.

Some kung fu dubs have the English dubbers do the fighting sounds, otherwise they cut in the Chinese sound FX.

Bronx Rican
oi.. just watched about 15 min of invincible shaolin mainly with the eng dub on. during the SB logo i knew something was up. it sounded underwater and almost like a wah effect or something and the dialogue is very inconsistent. constantly changing volume and possibly speed. the biggest disappointment is the fighting effects sound muffled and underwater as well when compared to the subtitled orignal language track. heres my question: i thought that the fighting used to always sound the same no matter what language you had on, because the sound effects are on a seperate track correct?? not sure..

this may have come off negative, on a positive, if i dont concentrate too hard on it, its passable. i just cant tell what they are saying sometimes. it does fade out. also its strange to have substandard audio with a picture this crisp ( no blurring! woohoo) that is probably half the problem

Sounds like exactly the same problem that killed Flag of Iron for me, and has affected every DVD release since, though not nearly as badly, but it's getting a little depressing. I think they should start using the "archive purposes only" disclaimer that they used on Martial Club so they can get away with poor quality audio, because their attempts to "clean" it up and "sync" it up are making things poorer IMO.

As far as the fight yells, yes, some films have the English dubbers do their own grunting and heaving, which also needs to be monitored, because some of that stuff has been dropped on some DVDs: I can't recall which movies offhand, but one example I do recall is that yell from Lung Tien Hsiang's character on 5 Element Ninjas just before he died... that was removed (that's nitpicking, however).

Killer Meteor
Sounds like exactly the same problem that killed Flag of Iron for me, and has affected every DVD release since, though not nearly as badly, but it's getting a little depressing. I think they should start using the "archive purposes only" disclaimer that they used on Martial Club so they can get away with poor quality audio, because their attempts to "clean" it up and "sync" it up are making things poorer IMO.

As far as the fight yells, yes, some films have the English dubbers do their own grunting and heaving, which also needs to be monitored, because some of that stuff has been dropped on some DVDs: I can't recall which movies offhand, but one example I do recall is that yell from Lung Tien Hsiang's character on 5 Element Ninjas just before he died... that was removed (that's nitpicking, however).

I think some of the Shaws and Golden Harvest DVDs, even those that use original mono, are guilty of OTT noice reduction. I miss that echoy and crackly sound which I imagine was removed.

Sandpalm79
I think some of the Shaws and Golden Harvest DVDs, even those that use original mono, are guilty of OTT noice reduction. I miss that echoy and crackly sound which I imagine was removed.

YEAH MAN! it was almost like you could hear the record playing at times ( in a good way) little cracks and pops. and remember the opening voice narration of the movie unbeaten 28? it was so CLEAR and loud and echoey you could scare a child with it haha, or shatter a window. now im straining to even hear what they are saying!

Can someone who has watched and listened to Funimations's release of Life Gamble comment on the Video and the English soundtrack quality?

Can anyone make comment on the subtitles of 'Invincible Shaolin'?

'Life Gamble' likely has the same shitty ones as before judging by a capture uploaded by Oldeschool.

Killer Meteor

Can anyone tell me the running time of Invincible Shaolin as it is on the actual dvd? The running times listed online are the same as the IVL which suggest a PAL-NTSC transfer :tinysmile_angry2_t:

From what I remember of 'Invincible', I don't think there was blending and the soundtrack pitch was lower than IVL's DVD. The subtitles were rather different to IVL's (not dubtitles either) and appeared to be excellent, although I couldn't verify for definite.

Can anyone tell me the running time of Invincible Shaolin as it is on the actual dvd? The running times listed online are the same as the IVL which suggest a PAL-NTSC transfer :tinysmile_angry2_t:

The total runtime is 1:42:57 - 3 seconds shy of 103 minutes.

Guest Markgway

The IVL runs 98:14 so it appears as though the Funimation release is genuine NTSC.

With progressive scan and original mono it looks like we have a winner.

Eastern Evil

Anyone have an answer to Killer Meteor's question?

Didn't see the above posts before putting this one up. 2 second differance from P'an ku.

The time on the Funimation DVD is 1:42:55 (movie time duration is at bottom right of screenshot)

I subtract 35 seconds for the wait till the title comes up in the 1st frame of the movie,

So I clock it at 1:42:20 :smile2:

InvincibleShaolin3-1.jpg

Archived