Invincible Shaolin and Life Gamble from Funi have arrived

gfanikf

I'm doing bar prep stuff at the moment, so I only had a chance to glance at the specs on the box, both have Mandarin Mono and English Stereo (which I think is really just two channel Mono, but I'll check later).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I might have missed the thread, did Funimation inherit the finalized product that BCI put out before it ended it's DVD manufacturing? I'm just wondering if they're just repackaging the authoring of Life Gamble disc prepared for BCI.

KFS

Gfanikf saying both have Mandarin/English is positive! It is odd how they say both is one is mono and the other; stereo.

If the transfer and subs for 'Invincible' are good, I'm gonna pick it up (believe it was my first Venom - think I have my IVL still). I've not bought anything for ages.

Seeing as we're a few releases in, they may have listened to complaints about previous releases. Kinda positive now.

The soundtracks for Shaolin Handlock are like that also.

Mandarin Mono at 96kbps

English Stereo at 128 or 192 kbps.

Sandpalm79
I'm doing bar prep stuff at the moment, so I only had a chance to glance at the specs on the box, both have Mandarin Mono and English Stereo (which I think is really just two channel Mono, but I'll check later).

I checked on Amazon and it said they werent released yet.. how did you get your copies in your hand already!?

I checked on Amazon and it said they werent released yet.. how did you get your copies in your hand already!?

For review purposes.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just ordered Invincible Shaolin from Amazon. It should arrive by 5/24/10 It's listed as an Amazon vended item. Only two in stock at $18 I hope the eng audio is remastered along with the Celestial print.

Shaolin Patriot

What's the verdict on Invincible Shaolin?

The soundtracks for Shaolin Handlock are like that also.

Mandarin Mono at 96kbps

English Stereo at 128 or 192 kbps.

Related to this:

Life Gamble on the disc both says Mono on the menu for both.

The audio specs for both are Dolby Digital 2ch 48KHz 192kps.

The picture looks fine. Nothing like Handlock and Amazons

The dub is complete at least from my examination, the first dialogue in the movie is in English and such. Mandarin sounds boring and stilted like normal. :)

The subs seem fine can anyone comment on how I can tell if they're different?

Same comments for Invincible Shaolin as for Life Gamble except English is listed as stereo on the menu, otherwise exactly the same.

OldPangYau

Looks like Funimation one-upped BCI in at least one regard this time. No extras, but at least the English dub this time.

Related to this:

Life Gamble on the disc both says Mono on the menu for both.

The audio specs for both are Dolby Digital 2ch 48KHz 192kps.

The picture looks fine. Nothing like Handlock and Amazons

The dub is complete at least from my examination, the first dialogue in the movie is in English and such. Mandarin sounds boring and stilted like normal. :)

The subs seem fine can anyone comment on how I can tell if they're different?

Thanks.

All good news so far. Everything spec-wise seems similar to a recent Dragon Dynasty release with the basic requirements of mono soundtracks and a proper transfer upheld (only worse artwork, but maybe a slightly better quality of video?). Shame there's no extras, but I'm not sure there were ever any for this release (maybe later titles will, depending).

It's good 'Life Gamble' has secured the English dub - Funimation must have gone back to them, or they were delivered sometime too late after the BCI release.

About the subtitles, it's hard to know without seeing the film. I'll maybe see if I have my IVL DVD.

I'll keep a look out on Amazon marketplace for this one (maybe get some Media Blasters titles as well - wish I could rent them though first).

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just checked the english audio for Invincible Shaolin. They seemed to have done something to the eng audio upon remastering or fouled it up somehow. The voices of different characters fade out. So much so that it is annoying. I spent twenty one dollars on this DVD from amazon and I'm very disappointed. If I find out the eng subs are the same as Celestial's this thing is goin straight back. The mandarin audio plays fine. First Kid With The Golden Arm is put on hold indefinitely and now Invincible Shoalin's eng audio is fucked up. WTF!!! Are we cursed? LOL! Jesus, the disappointment.

Killer Meteor
Just checked the english audio for Invincible Shaolin. They seemed to have done something to the eng audio upon remastering or fouled it up somehow. The voices of different characters fade out. So much so that it is annoying. I spent twenty one dollars on this DVD from amazon and I'm very disappointed. If I find out the eng subs are the same as Celestial's this thing is goin straight back. The mandarin audio plays fine. First Kid With The Golden Arm is put on hold indefinitely and now Invincible Shoalin's eng audio is fucked up. WTF!!! Are we cursed? LOL! Jesus, the disappointment.

The English audio is likely the same on the Siren Austrailian DVd - way too compressed, rather like a few of the Chinese tracks on the Shaws.

Personally English audio is the least of my concerns. Just give me the original Cantonese soundtrack and a OAR without a lot of digital artifacting and I'll be glad to pay hard money for the DVD.

OldPangYau
sorry .. see post count. I'm a noob. It's still all just Chinese to me. :nerd:

Well, for future safety, say "just give me the original intended Chinese dialect" :wink: When it comes to the Shaw films, it gets tricky, as the bulk of the films are Mandarin, but by the time you get to the 80s (actually, closer to '78), they started to switch back and forth and eventually went to Cantonese. Golden Harvest films were probably about half and half though.

Shaolin Patriot

Can anyone else comment on the bad English dub? Does it sound like the Siren version? What a disappointment - my favorite title! I hope the subs are an improvement over the IVL version.

yeah, it's the same horrible Audio for the English Dub that started with the MIHK VHS Release (the much older Dutch VHS has excellent Audio). no idea what Shaw Brothers did to it (and FIVE VENOMS too on the MIHK Release - how does the Dragon Dynasty Dub sound for that?) but it's NOT Celestial's bad doing this time!

Killer Meteor
yeah, it's the same horrible Audio for the English Dub that started with the MIHK VHS Release (the much older Dutch VHS has excellent Audio). no idea what Shaw Brothers did to it (and FIVE VENOMS too on the MIHK Release - how does the Dragon Dynasty Dub sound for that?) but it's NOT Celestial's bad doing this time!

I can say the DD Five Venoms dub sounds a LOT better then the VHS tape.

Cool news...I went to my local FYE today after work and they had Life Gamble and Invincible Shaolin out and for sale.

I picked up Invincible Shaolin...only because I have the BCI version of Life Gamble and IMO the movie isn't worth picking up again just for the English Dub.....plus I need to save that money for Undisputed 3!!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Invincible Shoalin last night. Started on the eng subs then went to eng dubb after making some tonal adjustments it wasn't too bad. Still disappointed.

Tigerstyles

there was a disclaimer on the box for the Aus Invincible Shaolin! about the eng dub.. must be the only one available

Archived