Worst ending ever

SilverRoc

I just watched The Heroic Ones and thought it was great but I hated the ending which got me thinking what are some great Kung Fu movies with crappy endings?

• Like 1

Fang Shih-yu
I just watched The Heroic Ones and thought it was great but I hated the ending which got me thinking what are some great Kung Fu movies with crappy endings?

The end of The Heroic Ones was bungled, or at the very least, badly edited!... In general, the fact is many a Shaw martial arts and wuxia film is spoiled by their [near trademark] abrupt endings! For example, the conclusion of Disciples of Shaolin is fine; it's just over TOO QUICKLY!:ooh::sad::cry:

• Like 1

The ending to Abbot White 2 is easily the worst. It just ends, no conclusion to the story, no outcome whatsoever, just an end.

• Like 1

Water floats, but also capsizes boats.

I know it's your sig and not your comment but still... the Miramax ending of DRUNKEN MASTER II is total garbage.

The original full-length "brain damage" ending of the film remains the best IMHO. The "International Version" ending is alright - it's abrupt but it works, particularly in a film that's at least partially a throwback to an era of Hong Kong cinema that was chock full of films that didn't end so much as they simply stopped. Wong Fei-hung wins - y'all can go home now.

By comparison, Miramax inexplicably chose to omit Wong Fei-hung from the final scene of his own movie, opting instead to have the supporting cast explain why he isn't there as they pose for a photo op in his absence. This is wholly unsatisfying - even though it's technically less cut than the International Version, it's more detrimental to how the film plays out.

• Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

Whenever this topic is brought up, the first movie that comes to mind is Kid from Kwangtung. The most distasteful ending I've seen.

• Like 1

I know it's your sig and not your comment but still... the Miramax ending of DRUNKEN MASTER II is total garbage.

The original full-length "brain damage" ending of the film remains the best IMHO. The "International Version" ending is alright - it's abrupt but it works, particularly in a film that's at least partially a throwback to an era of Hong Kong cinema that was chock full of films that didn't end so much as they simply stopped. Wong Fei-hung wins - y'all can go home now.

By comparison, Miramax inexplicably chose to omit Wong Fei-hung from the final scene of his own movie, opting instead to have the supporting cast explain why he isn't there as they pose for a photo op in his absence. This is wholly unsatisfying - even though it's technically less cut than the International Version, it's more detrimental to how the film plays out.

Sorry, slightly confused. I've never seen the Miramax cut of the film but are you saying there is an international cut and a Miramax cut? I've only seen the HK version myself.

• Like 1

The Dragon

Enter The Dragon. After hearing what Shih Kien proposed to Bruce to add to their fight scene only to have Bob Clouse say no mas-their fight ended up being very anti-climatic.

(Kien proposed that he and Bruce use more traditional Shaolin Kung Fu & grappling techniques, and Clouse opted for the fake hand and mirrored room, ala Dr. No. Making it more Hollywood/Bond send up.)

:2:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Duel to the Death

What’s wrong with the Duel to the Death ending? Maybe because there is no clear cut winner? I thought that was a nice touch not having a winner since they were both good guys. I loved the ending. Fingers get cut off on one hand, arm gets cut off, and Norman Chu has to stab himself in the foot to stay on his feet.

Actually I think I would have liked the ending no matter what happened because the music is so awesome.

• Like 1

kungfusamurai
Pretty much all of 'the pops' flicks I've seen seem to suffer from a bit of a 'sudden' ending.

The abrupt endings may have been inherited from the British. At least, from observing their Hammer horror films, which all end right after the monster's been killed. No epilogue or anything.

I'm not a fan of the final fights for many of the Japanese karate flicks. Usually it involves a person who's supposed to be the boss that someone like Sonny Chiba has been trying to get to after fighting all kinds of experts in weapons and stuff. But the final fights always feel anti-climactic because the main bad guy is a crappy fighter.

KFS

• Like 1

Guest WuxiaFan
What’s wrong with the Duel to the Death ending? Maybe because there is no clear cut winner? I thought that was a nice touch not having a winner since they were both good guys. I loved the ending. Fingers get cut off on one hand, arm gets cut off, and Norman Chu has to stab himself in the foot to stay on his feet. Actually I think I would have liked the ending no matter what happened because the music is so awesome.

I actually love the ending of "Duel to the Death."

Agree with Morgoth and Drunken Monk - loved how DUEL TO THE DEATH ended. I was torn on who to route for.

:yociexp14:

Agree with the above, love the ending of Duel to Death and always have, the way I see it is both characters realise what they've lost and how pointless there lifes may have been, the shot of the Japanese guy just staring out to sea is so great, I love it!! Plus u don't know if they survived or not, with the wounds they've gained chances are they both died!

The music in that film is amazing, does anyone have it or know how to get it?

Oh and I have seen two endings to Drunken Master 2, one ends the moment Chan blows bubbles, just freeze frames and ends, the other was the miramax one where it goes back to Ti Lung and Anita Mui receiving an award and posing for a picture, never seen the original ending I presume we see Chan all beaten and bandaged like Young Masters ending right?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

'Shaolin Mantis' has to get my vote....

'Lion Vs Lion' also completely loses the plot at the end with the whole haunted house thing....what were they thinking?

• Like 2

Bronx Rican

I thought to myself, has One-Armed Swordsman Against Nine Killers not been mentioned because it is so difficult to discuss without revealing anything? :P My theory is the filmmakers kept throwing in "holy s#!%" moments thinking the audience won't remember anything that happened before. Didn't they think it'd be important to bring up that "nine fingers" crap long before they did? Didn't our hero think he should've revealed his big secret the MINUTE he realized how tough his opponent was, thereby possibly preventing his fate? I'm sure there are worse endings (actually, Tiger Love and Abbot White are big contenders), but this one annoyed the heck out of me.

• Like 1

Guest ekisha

The worst ending i ever saw - The Big Sting. I guess the ending was cut, because it didn't make sense at all. As for kung fu movies i would like to add Invincible Shaolin. It just didn't satisfy me. Also the Kid With The Golden Arm and Killer Constable.

Chinatown Kid

I didn't like the ending of Fistfull of Talons with the freeze frame of Billy just as he lands the kick to the back of Hwang in Sik, come on give us the satisfaction of seeing the villain actually die! :cry:

• Like 1

Bronx Rican
I didn't like the ending of Fistfull of Talons with the freeze frame of Billy just as he lands the kick to the back of Hwang in Sik, come on give us the satisfaction of seeing the villain actually die! :cry:

You gave me a hilarious reminder of all those patchwork Godfrey Ho/ Joseph Lai flicks where they throw "THE END" at you the exact moment of the fatal attack! It don't get more abrupt than that!

• Like 1

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
The worst ending i ever saw - The Big Sting. I guess the ending was cut, because it didn't make sense at all. As for kung fu movies i would like to add Invincible Shaolin. It just didn't satisfy me. Also the Kid With The Golden Arm and Killer Constable.

Yikes!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Fist Of Boss
Also the Kid With The Golden Arm and Killer Constable.

Whaaaaaaatttttttttttttt???!!!!I kinda agree to kid with golden arm,Kid is maybe most righteous character in movie but villains usually kick bucket:nerd: and wimps gf got her revenge

Killer Constable I disagree completely,shock ending was great:bigsmile:

• Like 1

HeavenSword

New Tales Of The Flying Fox takes the cake for most abrupt ending so far.....but also has the funniest freeze frame . 

• Like 2